Anyone playing the indie PC-God of War clone?

#1 Posted by Daavpuke (120 posts) -

I'm wondering if people already picked up on this title. I just finished it (doesn't take long) so I'd like to see what GB thinks.

Supposed to be the first Arabian title or something? Also the developer's first game and presentation-wise at least that's a rather decent effort.

#2 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Wow a game from Iran, that's something you don't see everyday

#3 Posted by agentboolen (1760 posts) -

First time I have ever heard of it, the images look pretty impressive.  Did the gameplay feel on par with GOW?

#4 Posted by Daavpuke (120 posts) -
@agentboolen: Not on the same level, but definitely similar almost to a point. Just not as refined as GOW, since obviously it doesn't have the same means. But you also collect orbs and level up weapons, quick time event opponents, etc.
#5 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

If its atleast decent enough I'm willing to shell out some cash to support new indie studios like this. :)

#6 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I read somewhere that because of the sanctions imposed on Iran, they can't license any technology and they had to make the game only using royalty free tech and libraries. From the videos I've seen of it, looks like a pretty decent attempt at a God of War style game on the PC.

#7 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Do you get to behead or stone someone to death? If you do Im in.

#8 Posted by Mikemcn (6968 posts) -

I don't know how I'd feel buying anything from Iran, im sure the developers are fine people, but they have to pay their taxes to someone in their West hating government. 

#9 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

game screams "wait for a silly cheap steam sale" to me, so I will. Sorry :/

#10 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2486 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
" I don't know how I'd feel buying anything from Iran, im sure the developers are fine people, but they have to pay their taxes to someone in their West hating government.  "
Terrorists win.
#11 Edited by MattSchwabby (117 posts) -

What game are you talking about? I'm definitely intrigued and would like to check it out,  but your description is quite vague. Do you know the title of the game, or have a link to a webpage with more info?

EDIT: Sorry! I found this thread on the general forum and my brightness settings prevented me to see what sub-forum it was posted in. I am on a different computer now and can see that this is posted in the forum under the game's title.
#12 Posted by agentboolen (1760 posts) -
@Daavpuke said:
" @agentboolen: Not on the same level, but definitely similar almost to a point. Just not as refined as GOW, since obviously it doesn't have the same means. But you also collect orbs and level up weapons, quick time event opponents, etc. "
Sounds cool I'll have to check it out one day.
#13 Posted by MrCode (12 posts) -
@Rhaknar: I wish I had waited as the game crashes during startup for me.  According to the forums, there seems to be a conflict with the MMDevApi.dll file in Windows 7.  Users with WinXP seem to have more luck with the title.  I am hopeful their support team will come up with a patch.
#14 Posted by YoThatLimp (1897 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
I don't know how I'd feel buying anything from Iran, im sure the developers are fine people, but they have to pay their taxes to someone in their West hating government. 
Kind of this.

It is great they are able to do this though, I might pick it up at some point.
#15 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

erm no

#16 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -
I have no idea where you guys are getting that this game was made in Iran. The game is developed by DeadMage which is located in Pasadena, Texas. Who cares what the ethnicity of the game developers are?
#17 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@billyhoush: Actually, no. DeadMage were the publishers of the game in the US, the actual game was developed by Fanafzar Studios.
#18 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -
@KillyDarko said:
@billyhoush: Actually, no. DeadMage were the publishers of the game in the US, the actual game was developed by Fanafzar Studios.
Yes which later moved the studios to Texas to complete the game. So the whole argument of DURRR buying this game supports terrorism is retarded. The game is based off Persian mythology which is what Islam has been trying to wipe out since the Islamic revolution and I'm sure for that reason and the fact that video games are considered an "evil western influence" they had to move their operations to the states. If anything buying this game supports hard working people that are against the Iranian government.

Whether the game itself is good or not is another debate.
#19 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@billyhoush said:
@KillyDarko said:
Yes which later moved the studios to Texas to complete the game. So the whole argument of DURRR buying this game supports terrorism is retarded. The game is based off Persian mythology which is what Islam has been trying to wipe out since the Islamic revolution and I'm sure for that reason and the fact that video games are considered an "evil western influence" they had to move their operations to the states. If anything buying this game supports hard working people that are against the Iranian government.

Whether the game itself is good or not is another debate.
I think you got me wrong there, I have bought the game and finished it (I'm top editor on the wiki page, as you can see). I also absolutely agree with you that it's retarded to not buy a game based on a false assumption. I just wanted to let you know that the game is indeed from an Iranian developer, so yeah, sorry if that came out wrong :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.