Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gary Whitta

Person » credited in 6 games

Gary is a screenwriter, author, journalist and video game enthusiast. He is best known for writing the screenplay to the motion picture "The Book of Eli" and being the editor in chief of both the US and UK publications of the popular magazine PC Gamer.

Gary's first book, let's talk about it! (spoilers hidden)

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

As a long time listener of the Bombcast and also the show This is only a Test, which is -in my humble opinion- at its best when Garry is on, I rushed to support Mr. Whitta when he announced he was cowd-funding his first book, Abomination. I got it several months later when it was finished as a project supporter and it should now be widely aviable to buy on Amazon and such.

I have read it in four days and found it pretty great, would rate 4/5 because I had some issues with the ending (see the spoiler section bellow), but I had a blast reading the whole thing in a couple of days, it's really a page turner.

I was surpised to not found a thread here as Gary is a friend of the site for quite some time now, so I started it to see if there is any interest in our little comunity!

In the spoiler tag bellow I will talk openly about the ending, click at your own risk!!

I don't understand one thing: why would Wulfric, who literally tried to kill himself countless times to protect others, decide to go ahead with the escape from the premisses he was held at by the end. Earlier he was always trying to cause as little harm as possible, for years. And then when he escaped, both him and Beatrice killed innocent guards. That goes directly against all beliefs he kept for the past 15 years! And yes, his daughter was not in a great state of mind, full of anger at her stepfather and what not, but she was led by the christian ideas, which is why she decided to save Wulfric in the first place. And then she just throws it away and stabs a guy in the back, one of the guards..? It rubbed me the wrong way, if any of those two were good strong people they would go ahead and let the monster die even for the price of Wulfric dying too and Beatrice becoming an orphan!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Didn't even know this was a thing, awesome. Might have to give it a read sometime soon.

outlawtorn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm in a similar situation as you. I generally really liked the book. I thought the premise very interesting and well written. Trying to be careful how I phrase this after reading the posts on entitlement but I felt a little let down by the ending. It seemed to me to be quite rushed after the way the main plot line built up. Overall a great book and would recommend. Can't wait for more although with Gary's workload I'm not sure how long it will be.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I may have to check this out. I kinda fell off Tested.com as they became pure drone and 3d printer talk for rich dudes, so I haven't been up on my Whitta. Good to see him doing more!

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Quipido

@chu52: Right, I recently went through the old episedes and seeked specifically the Whitta ones, his humor is legendary! I am not keeping up with the new episodes at all.

Loading Video...

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm unlikely to buy this book but I've been wondering what G Whitta has been up to these days. Good for him!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Now I know Gary Whitta is a good writer that gets his scripts mangled by the Hollywood machine. Never forget he has screen writing credits for Book of Eli and After Earth.

I'm in a similar situation as you. I generally really liked the book. I thought the premise very interesting and well written. Trying to be careful how I phrase this after reading the posts on entitlement but I felt a little let down by the ending. It seemed to me to be quite rushed after the way the main plot line built up. Overall a great book and would recommend. Can't wait for more although with Gary's workload I'm not sure how long it will be.

I'm sorry when did thinking something you bought wasn't perfect make you an entitled asshole? You like most of the book save for the ending what's wrong with that? Ending are hard to get right just read any Stephen King novel, that guy can't make a decent ending for anything longer than a novella. Gary Whitta strikes me as a dude that would appreciate well constructed feedback, he has to or he wouldn't have lasted as a screen writer and gotten the job to write one of the Star Wars spin-off movies.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok said:

Now I know Gary Whitta is a good writer that gets his scripts mangled by the Hollywood machine. Never forget he has screen writing credits for Book of Eli and After Earth.

@outlawtorn13 said:

I'm sorry when did thinking something you bought wasn't perfect make you an entitled asshole? You like most of the book save for the ending what's wrong with that? Ending are hard to get right just read any Stephen King novel, that guy can't make a decent ending for anything longer than a novella. Gary Whitta strikes me as a dude that would appreciate well constructed feedback, he has to or he wouldn't have lasted as a screen writer and gotten the job to write one of the Star Wars spin-off movies.

Funny you would mentioned that, after Finishing Abomination I picked up King's The Mist, which I have seen (and love) the movie adaptation of - and that has the best ending it could have had!!

Also Book of Eli is awesome, except the second-ending which was tacked on because of focus testing (or screening feedback or what you call it), as I understand.

outlawtorn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By outlawtorn13

@quipido: it doesn't, I'd usually just give my opinion but was reading that other post directly before posting here.

Have some inspiration to go and read the hard copy. I finished the ebook before the hardcover arrived. See if there's any truth in real books being better than ebooks as I can't recall reading a physical book since moving to Hong Kong 5 years ago.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@quipido: I'm in the camp that the movie is actually better than the story as the ending of the movie stuck with me better than the story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@quipido: Stephen King's The Mist is a novella that is part of a short story collection called Skeleton Crew. When ever one of King's novellas get adapted into movies they almost always get released as stand alone books. See also Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, and Secret Window.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok: Yes, I have read Apt Pupil years ago and loved it, I picked up The Mist because it's fairly short and that suits me at the moment. Thanks for the recommendatins though!!

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By caska

Well this sucks. I wrote a big post about my thoughts on the book but I guess I took to long and when I hit submit my post disappeared...

To summarise, for me the book was a let down. I was expecting a lot more from Gary than was probably warranted and I found his writing to be really bland and boring which really hampered my enjoyment. I found myself skimming sentences because they really didn't have much to say in the first place or if they did they were almost unnecessary.

I think it was more a time and place thing for me and I'd have enjoyed it more if I went in just for a fun pulpy story rather than a great book.

Also what's up with Wulfric trying all these ways to kill himself but not actually handing himself over to the Order who he's personally trained for that sole purpose?! If anything he should have at least had faith that they could hold him prisoner so he wouldn't kill so many random people

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.