I Found a Classic Gary Whitta Moment

• 131 results
Posted by ZombiePie (5636 posts) -

For those that may or may not have noticed Gary Whitta has been guesting for the Tested podcast and Thursday Night Throwdowns a countless number of times. For those that may not be aware of it Gary's kind of a big deal. Between being the former editor and chief of PC Gamer (both for the UK and the US) as well as an accomplished screenwriter you could argue he's (so far) the most famous person to guest star on Giant Bomb or any Whiskey Media website.

Also worth noting is that Gary Whitta was never camera shy even during his PC Gamer days. Just like our very own Jeff, Gary was always willing to serve as a "representative" for games when the need called for it. This was especially the case following the Columbine Massacre where fingers were being pointed all over the place as to why the tragedy happened. As you can expect the debate of video games being murder simulators and corrupting our youths came up during this framework and as a result we received a very classy Gary Whitta moment. So without further adieu now I provide you with this clip:

Bravo Gary, I'm loving the sweater vest.
 One More Time Mr. Hollywood.
#1 Posted by ZombiePie (5636 posts) -

For those that may or may not have noticed Gary Whitta has been guesting for the Tested podcast and Thursday Night Throwdowns a countless number of times. For those that may not be aware of it Gary's kind of a big deal. Between being the former editor and chief of PC Gamer (both for the UK and the US) as well as an accomplished screenwriter you could argue he's (so far) the most famous person to guest star on Giant Bomb or any Whiskey Media website.

Also worth noting is that Gary Whitta was never camera shy even during his PC Gamer days. Just like our very own Jeff, Gary was always willing to serve as a "representative" for games when the need called for it. This was especially the case following the Columbine Massacre where fingers were being pointed all over the place as to why the tragedy happened. As you can expect the debate of video games being murder simulators and corrupting our youths came up during this framework and as a result we received a very classy Gary Whitta moment. So without further adieu now I provide you with this clip:

Bravo Gary, I'm loving the sweater vest.
 One More Time Mr. Hollywood.
#2 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -

Wait, he wrote Book of Eli?

Now I feel awkward for hating that movie.

#3 Posted by gwhitta (32 posts) -

Those were the days!

#4 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" Wait, he wrote Book of Eli?  Now I feel awkward for hating that movie. "
You feel awkward now? @GiantBombSquad just tweeted a link to this thread to him. Wait until he reads your comment. :)
#5 Posted by ZombiePie (5636 posts) -
@louiedog said:
" @Hailinel said:
You feel awkward now? @GiantBombSquad just tweeted a link to this thread to him. Wait until he reads your comment. :) "
Not to make this even more awkward...but I am GiantBombSquad.

@gwhitta: Man I so want me a sweater vest right now...
#6 Posted by gwhitta (32 posts) -

Those were the days!

#7 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5254 posts) -

Truly the face of a killer. That one dude sure had a lot of words coming out of his mouth.

#8 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4600 posts) -

1:35 "Now, where did he get that supernatural, superhuman skill? From the video games."  I don't think I've been playing games right...

#9 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:
" @louiedog said:
" @Hailinel said:
You feel awkward now? @GiantBombSquad just tweeted a link to this thread to him. Wait until he reads your comment. :) "

@gwhitta: Man I so want me a sweater vest right now... "
Oh, I know. I've been following for awhile. :)
#10 Edited by Voxatron (352 posts) -

Wow the stupidity, with that logic then playing ACB must make you a professional trained Assassin? That guy totally needs to get stab in the face and neck "Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh".
Gary totally worked that guy over...

#11 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

My favorite part is how everyone else sounds like a crazy person. 

Also, WOW. Fox News giving the antagonist time to respond? How times have changed.

#12 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Hahaha! Never seen that vid. Go Gary! XD

#13 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

Oh, Fox, you were still such a bitch back in the day.

#14 Posted by Legend (2658 posts) -
@gwhitta said:
" Those were the days! "
Video game authority!
#15 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Sharp guy, that Gary Whitta.

#16 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I really love the point he made at the end. that's the exact argument that I use, and for some reason, most of the "experts" they have on Fox to defend video games never think of it. Also I love how the moderator would help out the colonel and confront Gary. Love me some unbiased moderation.

#17 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Go Whitta! It's pretty amazing that you where able to face down fake 90's smooth talking FBI agent like that. 
I'd be waiting scared for him to send an assassin after me.

#18 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

Holy crap, I just finished the video and Col. Grossman is a really smarmy colostomy bag of a person.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:
" @louiedog said:
" @Hailinel said:

Well, damn.

It is true, though.  I can't stand that movie.  Mostly due to the Christian overtones, which has more to do with my own falling out with religion than anything inherently wrong with the movie itself.

The Fallout-ness of the movie was pretty cool, though.
#20 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -
@extremeradical said:
" Sharp guy, that Gary Whitta. "
Love me some Gary. He's hilarious to boot.
#21 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

Whitta must have that lady with a broken cart killed should he make a sequel.  I will watch that in theaters twice.

#22 Posted by Kierkegaard (582 posts) -

Didn't the court throw out the video game argument incredibly quickly? Anyway, bravo, Mr. Whitta. You fought valiantly. 

#23 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

Gary made excellent points without sounding like a nerd douchebag, while the colonel seemed to just be interested in finding a scapegoat for the killings.
A scapegoat that doesn't have anything to do with national gun laws.

#24 Posted by HistoryInRust (6292 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:
" @louiedog said:
" @Hailinel said:

Not to make you all feel more awkward, but I am Denzel Washington. 
#25 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

Everything before Whitta made me want to harm someone. Good thing I've already released all my anger and aggression playing videogames.

#26 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1459 posts) -

I'm glad Gary got the last word in.

Funny how there was no mention on how the kids managed to get the firearms and how they weren't properly secured.  That col was pretty good at being sleazy though, completely changed topics to the parents of the victims.  A classic fear mongering technique.

#27 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @ZombiePie said:
" @louiedog said:
" @Hailinel said:

Not to make you all feel more awkward, but I am Denzel Washington.  "
I should probably mention that I played the book.
#28 Posted by Lazyaza (2176 posts) -

Oh wow I never actually saw this, I heard someone from a game mag defended against the columbine 'games make kids killers' thing but had no idea it was Gary.  Damn I thought he was pretty cool already now I have immense respect for the man. :D

#29 Posted by BeachThunder (11824 posts) -
@ThatFrood said:
" Everything before Whitta made me want to harm someone. Good thing I've already released all my anger and aggression playing videogames. "
What? I usually release my anger by murdering people.

#30 Posted by JamesBoyce (295 posts) -

G. Whitta, you big legend-piece!  It's even more absurd to think that some people still believe what Mr. Grossman believed and we're knocking on 2011's door.  Oh well.

#31 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1593 posts) -

I want to bring Gary Whitta over here to Australia and have him talk to the governors general
#32 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -
@JamesBoyce said:
" G. Whitta, you big legend-piece!  It's even more absurd to think that some people still believe what Mr. Grossman believed and we're knocking on 2011's door.  Oh well. "
Agreed. It was great to see Gary stand up to that ignorant arsehole, but like you say, at the same time I can't help feel slightly depressed that varations on that argument are still peddled by some idiots.
#33 Edited by foggel (2763 posts) -

Wow, that douchebag had no clue whatsoever. What's with the clever words? "absolutely unpresi-dent-ed" Wow, just learned that one buddy?

Watching him speak is more likely to make me harm someone, than playing videogames.

#34 Posted by lordbazuco (378 posts) -

jesus christ, thank God we still have people Like Gary to fight  for video game rights. otherwise these idiots would have banned this and we'd have no giant bomb

#35 Edited by buft (3315 posts) -

@zombiepie 
lol at the Nintendo killing machine, wonder if  Shigeru Miyamoto designed it "its a me, Terrorist!", go go Gary Whitta and for anyone wondering what the similar Nintendo gun Game was here is a link   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYfQAbOGx30

#36 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

Thanks for posting, that was really interesting. Gary chewed that guy up.

#37 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Very nice find.

#38 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4700 posts) -
@Hailinel
Wait, he wrote Book of Eli?

Now I feel awkward for hating that movie.
Me too.

Magic Jesus Powers, ACTIVATE!
#39 Posted by ZombiePie (5636 posts) -

I'm digging the new found respect people have for Whitta in defending video games, but disappointed in the lack of discussing his pro-sweater vest stance. In my opinion his pro-sweater vest stance undoes his claim about video games in not being EVIL!

Just saying....

#40 Posted by picklecannon (265 posts) -

Do people actually believe stuff like what this guy was saying without checking if it's true? Really?

#41 Posted by themartyr (691 posts) -

I love this.

#42 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1356 posts) -

Brilliant, that pompous windbag of a colonel spews nonsense for about 5 minutes, taking care to point out all of his impressive army man credentials, then Whitta obliterates his entire argument in the space of 60 seconds. Also,  Grossman had one of the worst haircuts I've ever seen.

#43 Posted by karatetron (691 posts) -

Whitta just schooled a bitch!

#44 Posted by DerekDanahy (873 posts) -

Gary Whitta lays it the fuck down.

#45 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

That was bloody awesome.

#46 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

Gary bringing the smack down.  

#47 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Gary is a bro. He also has the bag from Book of Eli:

#48 Posted by Tebbit (4460 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg
1:35 "Now, where did he get that supernatural, superhuman skill? From the video games."  I don't think I've been playing games right...
No way, I bet if I handed you a gun right now, you'd kill every one of us with your unprecedented marksmanship!
#49 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

Jesus Christ that Grossman guy is so fucking smarmy. 

#50 Posted by TheHT (11128 posts) -

Ugh. That Colonel was such a smug moron. ROCK ON 1999 WHITTA!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.