Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Any multiplayer troubles?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HandsomeDead

I presume this is just me seeing as the game I was just in never mentioned anything, but so far, i've been waiting 15 minutes for a game of Horde and all i'm getting is 'Searching for teammates'. Earlier, I was waiting for 20 minutes before I finally got a game and now this. Anyone else's lobbies seemingly empty or what?

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bombHills

yeah, I have this problem too.
    it seems to be for all mp modes

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

Thanks a lot for that reply. I thought it was just me.

boko52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By boko52

i think over the next few weeks it should get better as atm everyone is still waiting to buy it / playing the campaign

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By JoelTGM

Yup.  I wish they'd get rid of matchmaking and make it like it was in Gears 1.

prencher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By prencher

Not been having any issues with public games myself.

DOUBLESHOCK said:

"Yup.  I wish they'd get rid of matchmaking and make it like it was in Gears 1."

That stuff is all still there; Private games. Public is great if you don't have enough people on for a a full on private match.

Off-topic: I wish they would reduce all those load screens though, what the hell? A load screen to go to multiplayer lobby, a load-screen to go to pre-game lobby, and a load to get into the map; Makes for three loads between map changes. They're not all that fast either. Not to mention the extreme inconvenience and plain out oddness of having two separate lobbies.
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Discorsi

I knw somtimes it takes forever to get a match, sometimes doesn't.  And then random games I get hella lag

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kratos81
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "Yup.  I wish they'd get rid of matchmaking and make it like it was in Gears 1."
    I was thinking the same thing. It took me 15 min to get a game. Im sure I will get used to it but as of now it sucks. I will stick to the campain for a few days. It may be just me but, I am almost done with act 1 and I think the first gears was more fun. I felt like a giddy school child on my way back from the game store today. Gears1 was my favorite game this gen, I am sad to say I had more fun with resistance 2 the first 3 hrs of gameplay. The campain also feels been there done that, which I was not expecting.
    9thDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 9thDeath

everyone is playing it no doubt... it took me 10 mins to get a game at first, but now I hardly have to blink and my game's all set up. I'm in the UK so I dunno if that is of any importance.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HandsomeDead
    9thDeath said:
    "everyone is playing it no doubt... it took me 10 mins to get a game at first, but now I hardly have to blink and my game's all set up. I'm in the UK so I dunno if that is of any importance."
    Fuck, so am I! Here's hoping Saturday is more fruitful.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf

I'm having the same problem while searching for some matches. It takes forever!

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bombHills

Yeah it can definitely take a long time.  

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wefwefasdf

I wish you could still at least set up player servers.

prencher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By prencher
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "I wish you could still at least set up player servers."
    They're called private games and that's exactly what they are. Public (matchmaking) games are player servers too for that matter, you just don't know who hosts, and the settings are mostly fixed (other than possibly map and/or game type votes).
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf
    prencher said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:
    They're called private games and that's exactly what they are. Public games are player servers too for that matter, you just don't know who hosts, and the settings are mostly fixed (other than possibly map and/or game type votes)."
    I know what a private server is. I'm talking about one that you can set up and others can find through a list format and not just through invites to your friends. This would allow you to play more than one game with the same people without being shot out to the multiplayer screen.
    prencher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By prencher
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "prencher said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:
    They're called private games and that's exactly what they are. Public games are player servers too for that matter, you just don't know who hosts, and the settings are mostly fixed (other than possibly map and/or game type votes)."
    I know what a private server is. I'm talking about one that you can set up and others can find through a list format and not just through invites to your friends. This would allow you to play more than one game with the same people without being shot out to the multiplayer screen."

There's a point to that, but in those cases I say just play private games; The "new" system (all newer games have this setup, including cod 4/5 and halo 3), allows them to find games and use TrueSkill much faster, and without the bullshit that was gears 1 ranked.

Now, currently it's pretty bad.. Get lots of laggy games, and search times are pretty random. It was the same at the beginning of CoD 4 and Halo 3, but after a few days it sorted itself out. Much of it has to do with volume and getting in games hosted on a different continent, or at least that was the case with halo and cod. I'm in Europe and have been getting a wee bit many yank games - can definitely feel it, but I'm sure it will sort itself soon enough.

The only big problems, other than the launch related ones (lag and search time), in my opinion, is the fact that there are no map cycles, and you can't just stay in a "game lobby" until you want to quit like with cod 4 or halo, you have to do a fresh "party lobby" (search / private game settings) between *every* map which greatly compounds the problem of lag and search times. That and the load screens to load menus.. Why there are even two lobby screens baffles me.

There is lots of whining going on on the epic forums, so one would hope they fix most of this in a quick-ish title update.

Aside: Just thought I'd mention anybody that can see you or anybody else in the game, can join it; Recent players and friends alike.. Not that hard to fill a game in my experience.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wefwefasdf
    prencher said:

The only big problems, other than the launch related ones (lag and search time), in my opinion, is the fact that there are no map cycles, and you can't just stay in a "game lobby" until you want to quit like with cod 4 or halo, you have to do a fresh "party lobby" (search / private game settings) between *every* map which greatly compounds the problem of lag and search times. That and the load screens to load menus.. Why there are even two lobby screens baffles me.

If they fixed those things I would be almost completely happy. :-) 
    Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Artie

I'm having a bunch of problems as well guys.

When it works it's fucking awesome, but it takes over 30 minutes.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mike
    Artie said:
    "I'm having a bunch of problems as well guys.

When it works it's fucking awesome, but it takes over 30 minutes."

What takes over 30 minutes? 
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wefwefasdf
    MB said:
    "Artie said:
    "I'm having a bunch of problems as well guys.

When it works it's fucking awesome, but it takes over 30 minutes."

What takes over 30 minutes? "
    Finding a match sometimes.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By JoelTGM
    prencher said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:
    They're called private games and that's exactly what they are. Public (matchmaking) games are player servers too for that matter, you just don't know who hosts, and the settings are mostly fixed (other than possibly map and/or game type votes)."
    He means public player games, like in Gears 1.  In Gears 2 I don't even want to play because it takes forever to find a match, I don't get to play on the gametype or map that I wanted, it puts me in a laggy match, and then once the match ends I am booted out to the menu and am expected to go through all that again.  I want to be able to search for a list of unranked public servers like in Gears 1, pick one with a good connection, play on it all day and meet new people.
    Roybot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Roybot

Horde can take a loooooong time to get into a game.

ToRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ToRo
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "prencher said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:
    They're called private games and that's exactly what they are. Public (matchmaking) games are player servers too for that matter, you just don't know who hosts, and the settings are mostly fixed (other than possibly map and/or game type votes)."
    He means public player games, like in Gears 1.  In Gears 2 I don't even want to play because it takes forever to find a match, I don't get to play on the gametype or map that I wanted, it puts me in a laggy match, and then once the match ends I am booted out to the menu and am expected to go through all that again.  I want to be able to search for a list of unranked public servers like in Gears 1, pick one with a good connection, play on it all day and meet new people."
    Dude, it's only laggy because the game came out. Gears 1 multiplayer was garbage.... Let me repeat that for you, GARBAGE. Your telling me, that for me to play a ranked game with my friends it involved me being with them on the phone for 10 minutes telling them "Ok I'm in  a room with 3 people in it.." until they found me? And when ever we did get into a room together, we had to deal with host advantage? I mean Cmon! If Halo 2 a game for the original Xbox  had great multiplayer then why the fuck can't gears?

Anyways, once these first few days go by the Multiplayer will be smooth in Gears 2.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By crunchUK

i have a major problem - i can't afford gears 2 ;__;

Avatar image for crazyscreenwriter
    crazyscreenwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Major problem I've been having is that matchmaking takes forever. (And  -- yeah yeah -- I've got an Open NAT and a 10meg Cable Connection.) Friday and Saturday I got into maybe two matches, and had to wait about 15 to 20 minutes for those. Other times I waited roughly a half hour and just shut it off. This morning seemed a bit better; I got into about four matches, and had to wait about 5 minutes for each (which still isn't great but), and then this afternoon I tried again and I waited for about 15 minutes of "searching" and "restarting" before saying screw it and clicking over to football. 

I hope this stuff gets sorted out within the next week. I was looking forward to Gears 2 replacing my COD4 habit, but it looks like I'll be going back to COD4 and waiting for Left 4 Dead at this rate.
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Avatar image for crazyscreenwriter
    crazyscreenwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyones_A_Critic said:
    "

I hate the new playlist system in the game. It's not fucking Halo it's Gears of War 2 damnit. I wish they made it like CoD4 where you can select a mode and then do matchmaking (matchmaking that actually works for that matter!!!). And private games aren't really private because unwanted friends of friends can still join my damn games and I still can't fucking kick them without closing the match. This game is making it very hard for me to like it.  I've waited 30 minutes to get into a game to no avail too. They absolutely destroyed the multiplayer.

"
    Pretty much. I'll give Epic a week or two to fix it, but if the MP is still impossible to get into I'm shelving it. Seriously, how can you be a company like Epic and have built your rep on multiplayer games, only to turn around and put out a game with netcode this bad? And if they come back with that, "Oh, we couldn't anticipate the demand. Our servers weren't prepared!" I am going to scream. How could you not anticipate demand for the most anticipated game of the year!?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.