Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Are people acually going to care about winning multiplayer games?

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Player1

In my opinion nobody cared about winning games in Gear's 1's multiplayer. All they cared about were getting thier achievements. Kills were stolen regulary, and multiple teamates would often get killed rushing for a weapon they needed kills with.

There was little to no reward for acually working as a team and winning games. Players cared more about themselves then everyone else. In this game will people acually care about winning? Or will it be the same selfish play as last game.

Maybe to help the cause they could add an achievement like winning 200 games or somthing.

Gears of War 2
    Gears of War 2

sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sdodd02

Yeah, I wish there was some kind of ranking system.

veiledmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By veiledmuffin

Aren't they adding matchmaking? If so, there should be ranks.

sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sdodd02

it's the true skill ranking thing.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By banksrob

yea i dnt like gears multiplayer much, battlefield bad company has awesome multiplayer

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ma7moud

Only 1 kill per match will count toward the achievement. for example if the achievement requires 200 kill with sniper and you got 20 kills with the sniper in the match it only counts as 1 kill.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Player1
    Sdodd412 said:
    "it's the true skill ranking thing.
    "

Is that like in Halo where if your a general your put in games with other generals?
    DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By DARKIDO07
    Player1 said:
    "Sdodd412 said:
    "it's the true skill ranking thing.
    "

Is that like in Halo where if your a general your put in games with other generals?"
    Yes, and no. Tureskill is a behind the sense rank system that has little to do with your Military rank in games like Halo, but basically it pairs you up with people with similar Trueskill ranks as you.
    MAV3R1CK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MAV3R1CK

It would be nice to add a ranking system because it could make the gameplay on multiplayer that much more exciting. However, thats not taking anything away from Gears 1 multiplayer.

Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Nemesis

I think there should be no multiplayer achievements at all. Look at Call of Duty 4, one of the most played multiplayer games and does not have a single achievement for multiplayer.  I don't like the new system that Epic is placing though, with only one kill goes toward the achievement you are working for, counts per round.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Player1
    Nemesis said:
    "I think there should be no multiplayer achievements at all. Look at Call of Duty 4, one of the most played multiplayer games and does not have a single achievement for multiplayer.  I don't like the new system that Epic is placing though, with only one kill goes toward the achievement you are working for, counts per round.
    "
    Good point. Cod4 was critisised for not having achievements in the first place, but it ended up working out. I really do think the whole perk systems saved them though. It made people forget about achievements and gave them somthing to play for.

I have mixed feelings about the whole new achievement thing. In one sence if I guy sucks with sniper, but needs kills with it, then he wont be stealing it from the team every round. I think this will let players work as a team more. Hopfully
    CVslyyyyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CVslyyyyyy

I do not think that there is an actual number or military rank for the multiplayer...

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By Termite

Well I don't think pretty much all "Team" based multiplayer shooters actually use teamwork. Other than TF2 perhaps

So my answer, no

PaperPlain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PaperPlain

I just like getting kills fair and square. I never played much, but Warzone. I'm really not an "achievement whore".

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blu_Magic

I was an achievement whore when I first got the game but then I started to play alot of player matches. They're alot more enjoyable.

45gergewf4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 45gergewf4545

I worked on my achievement but I never was a jerk about it. Some people just become too obsessed.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Player1
    Termite said:
    "Well I don't think pretty much all "Team" based multiplayer shooters actually use teamwork. Other than TF2 perhaps

So my answer, no
    "
    Right. But in this game people would purposely screw their teammates in order to help themselves get achievements. 
    epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By epic_pets

I alwas care about winning, I hate losing.

peter_j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By peter_j

This time the seriously achievement could be for games won instead of kills.

Nogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nogert

Definitely the problem with the last one is that achievements were for getting kills with a certain gun, so you would always get some idiot in a match using nothing but grenades, he would run around like an idiot trying to stick people, but fail every round causing you to lose the match because his lack of teamwork.

45gergewf4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By 45gergewf4545

What is worse than people being achievement junkies is quitters. You can't get into one ranked match without someone quitting in the first couple of rounds. It is really ridiculous.

Charles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Charles

i still play Gears of War to this day,  almost every day. When I play people care about winning, cause achievements are pretty much done for everyone. In Gears 2 Epic fixed this where you can only get one kill point with each weapon per game.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Player1
    Peter_J said:
    "This time the seriously achievement could be for games won instead of kills.
    "
    wow that would change everything....everything. I would absolutely love that
    Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming

First off, there will be achievements like in Gears 1, like getting 100 Boomshot kills, but you can only get 1 point towards it per match.  So, even if you get 10 Boomshot kills, it will only count 1 towards your achievement.  Second, there is going to be a party system.  Lastly, there are rankings in Gears 1; check the leaderboards.

Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hulk

Hulk played with and against plenty that wanted to win above all else, especially after everyone got their weapon achievements which didn't take long.  Once Seriously was all puny humans had left they tried their best to win.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pause422

The way Gears 2 is doing multiplayer achievements now though is because of that shit most of you were talking about,so people don't just rush for weapons every game and go crazy the entire time,this way they can only get one,than they can either decide to leave the game(if thats all they're after) or play the game normally after that.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Player1
    Hulk said:
    "Hulk played with and against plenty that wanted to win above all else, especially after everyone got their weapon achievements which didn't take long.  Once Seriously was all puny humans had left they tried their best to win.
    "
    Dude you make good points...but I can barly stand to read you post because of this annoying first person thing. 
    Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hulk
    Player1 said:
    "Hulk said:
    "Hulk played with and against plenty that wanted to win above all else, especially after everyone got their weapon achievements which didn't take long.  Once Seriously was all puny humans had left they tried their best to win.
    "
    Dude you make good points...but I can barly stand to read you post because of this annoying first person thing. "
    Hulk care so much.   Really Player1.  Hulk care.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Player1
    Hulk said:
    "Player1 said:
    "Hulk said:
    "
    Dude you make good points...but I can barly stand to read you post because of this annoying first person thing. "
    Hulk care so much.   Really Player1.  Hulk care.
    "
    haha ok. you make me laugh...your still fucking annoying though
    shadowjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shadowjak

Most of the basic games are sometimes achievement whores trying. When you play a 19 round raven down game, no one cares about achievements. However, the kill stealing for achievements thing is now very very rare

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31  Edited By OGCartman

Theyre should be an achivement to go 50 games without a teamkill
    I hate TKers

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Player1
    shadowjak said:
    "Most of the basic games are sometimes achievement whores trying. When you play a 19 round raven down game, no one cares about achievements. However, the kill stealing for achievements thing is now very very rare"
    Ive heard that, now that everyone has them its good. If my disk wasnt so fucked up id go back and try to play again. 
    Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Subway
    Player1 said:
    "Hulk said:
    "
    I think you mean third person.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.