Aww, Come On!: The Problem With Gears Online

Posted by AvD (288 posts) -

I was always a fan of the Gears of War franchise, but the more I play the competitive online aspect of it the more I regret my former love for the series.  Don't get me wrong, the campaign and horde or a lots of fun, but GoW just doesn't work online competitively.  When I'm online it always seems that the same playing style is the way to have a good score; mainly using the shotgun and rolling around at close proximity...

THIS SUCKS!  Yup.  I always scream something like that when I get killed by the inconsistent joke that is the shotgun.  I will be unloading a clip of my lancer into somebody while he frantically rolls toward me and blows me to shreds with the shotty.  The game practically rewards you for using the shotgun.  I mean, you CAN NOT kill people from a distance in most game types as they are execution rules.  THAT SUCKS!  I like to think I'm pretty accurate when I shoot and I do plenty of damage, and get plenty of downs, but

The One And Only
no kills... nope, accuracy is not rewarded in this game.  The only way you get kills is with the broken shotty or with a bogus one-hit-kill weapon.  The execution system mixed with the shotgun RUIN THIS GAME ONLINE.

Well, that's something I've thought for a while and decided it deserved a blog post... what do you think?
#1 Edited by AvD (288 posts) -

I was always a fan of the Gears of War franchise, but the more I play the competitive online aspect of it the more I regret my former love for the series.  Don't get me wrong, the campaign and horde or a lots of fun, but GoW just doesn't work online competitively.  When I'm online it always seems that the same playing style is the way to have a good score; mainly using the shotgun and rolling around at close proximity...

THIS SUCKS!  Yup.  I always scream something like that when I get killed by the inconsistent joke that is the shotgun.  I will be unloading a clip of my lancer into somebody while he frantically rolls toward me and blows me to shreds with the shotty.  The game practically rewards you for using the shotgun.  I mean, you CAN NOT kill people from a distance in most game types as they are execution rules.  THAT SUCKS!  I like to think I'm pretty accurate when I shoot and I do plenty of damage, and get plenty of downs, but

The One And Only
no kills... nope, accuracy is not rewarded in this game.  The only way you get kills is with the broken shotty or with a bogus one-hit-kill weapon.  The execution system mixed with the shotgun RUIN THIS GAME ONLINE.

Well, that's something I've thought for a while and decided it deserved a blog post... what do you think?
#2 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

I agree. The shotty has always been the go to gun for almost all players and has always been awkward. When I say awkward I mean it seems like it is very inconsistent. Sometimes you will shoot a dude 3 feet away and he lives, sometimes he splatters. Most of the issue is probably lag, but it always gets on my nerves anyways.

#3 Posted by ShadowKiller (894 posts) -

I will admit getting killed over and over again by a shotgun is annoying but it's legit so I won't complain about it. I also kill a lot of people by downing them with lancer bullets and rushing over to curb stomp them before they get revived. Since your more of a logn ranged person maybe you should try a torque bow or a longshot (headshot) which will still kill them in one hit. I counter shotguns a lot by rolling around and chainsawing them.

#4 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -

It's the way the game is designed, the shotgun is the way to kill people online at close range. But if you have a good team all active reloading lancer bullets into the same dude he'll go down FAST. It's about teamwork with the lancer and individual skill with the shotty. If you can master the shotty you can turn 2 on 1s into kills by rolling around making the other guys line of fire their own teammates. But I do agree that the shotty is kinda random, the way to make sure is to active reload before a battle, they should blow up then.
#5 Posted by AvD (288 posts) -
@ShadowKiller:  I do get kills with those weapons occasionally.  My problem with it is the lack of skill required for the one-hit-kill weapons, the only way an accurate person is rewarded with a kill is if they get a headshot with the longshot... that's it.  Sad considering all the cheap ways you can get kills in the game, chainsaw, boomshot, grenade wall stick, etc...
#6 Posted by ShadowKiller (894 posts) -
@AvD said:
" @ShadowKiller:  I do get kills with those weapons occasionally.  My problem with it is the lack of skill required for the one-hit-kill weapons, the only way an accurate person is rewarded with a kill is if they get a headshot with the longshot... that's it.  Sad considering all the cheap ways you can get kills in the game, chainsaw, boomshot, grenade wall stick, etc... "
Yeah I do agree with the point of all those one hit kill weapons lying around. Maybe they'll include more balanced weapons choices in Gears 3.
#7 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

i also love campaign and horde, but i stopped matchmaking a while ago pretty much cus of the shotgun, its completely inconsistant and unreliable 
i still get kills with it, but sometimes youll go down in one shot while they take three, and you never know when youll get a one shot kill, so ive learned to stick to horde

#8 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

In the words of Dude Huge "We made it so when you get hit you slow down, that's what stops people from running up to you and shooting your face off with a shotgun"

ok so it was paraphrasing a bit. But Dude Huge said it straight through his perfect pearly whites!

#9 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1171 posts) -

Yeah that game is horribly unbalanced. I still love the game but not the competetive multiplayer.

#10 Posted by idiotic_genius1 (416 posts) -

I agree that the shotgun is messed up. That, combined with the ammount of one hit kill weapons, just pisses me off and ruins the multiplayer.
#11 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Well, when Gears Of War 2 first came out, I played multiplayer for about a month or so, before I determined that every fag in Gears Of War who two pieced or only knew how to use the shotgun carried over their exact playstyle to Gears Of War 2, and they were not worth my time or energy.

I absolutely have no regrets with abandoning the Gears Of War 2 multiplayer in the first month.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.