Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Do NOT pay for the DLC Maps

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MOLE

You will get ripped off to a point that I have never seen before. Think about this for 1 second, your paying 1/6 of a game for 1 new map, a  remake and a map that was in Gears 1 for PC, all for $10. If you can't see how this is a bad deal then you need to stop playing video games, no really you do.

Thats the equivelent of paying for Chapter 1 in Gears 2. Thats the equivelent of someone selling a box of Cereal thats over half empty, but costs 4X more. Thats the equivelent of someone making you pay to take a shit for $10.  Its not like these maps were being creating after the game was released, the maps were probably going to be on the final game, but they wanted to take money from us.  Its not like their manufacturing the DLC, so why in gods name are we paying for DLC?  Where does our money for XBL even go towards?

Don't buy it. I'm praying to the holy god that someone will Boycott the living shit out of this retarted act MS has made.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Karmum

Well, obviously people won't buy it when they know the map pack will be free within a few months.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By clarke0

I don't trust the gaming community on XBL to have enough strength to hold off buying 3 maps for a couple months. So I think people are going to fuck up your plan pretty good.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Shadow
    William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By William
    MOLE said:
    "Thats the equivelent of someone making you pay to take a shit for $10.  "
    ???
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By PerryVandell
    clarke0 said:
    "I don't trust the gaming community on XBL to have enough strength to hold off buying 3 maps for a couple months. So I think people are going to fuck up your plan pretty good."
    ^
    Agreed
    Mats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Mats

Too late:P

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MOLE

MS are such evil bastards, Epic is just another victom.  Gears of War is going down a path of fail on a scale of historic praportions.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    MOLE said:
    "MS are such evil bastards, Epic is just another victom.  Gears of War is going down a path of fail on a scale of historic praportions."
    Your avatar is quite fitting.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xplodedd

these maps could have obviously been on disc.
    such a ripoff

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By dsplayer1010

Listen to the Bombcast. They're not a ripoff

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By SSbabel

The reason they release these maps is because they know bulk cunts are going to buy it, its just business.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Kazona
    dsplayer1010 said:
    "Listen to the Bombcast. They're not a ripoff"
    Amen. Finally someone who gets it.

I mean, christ, some people are never going to be satisfied. You get more than plenty of content in the original disced game, so why such a need to bitch about the map pack not being in there? Sure maybe they could have put these maps in the game, but that would most likely have delayed the release of the game, and even if it didn't, they gave you more than enough content on the disc as is. People complain when there's not enough DLC for a game, but when there is, then they complain that the DLC should have been in the original game. It's a lose-lose situation no matter what the developer does. I think some people need to start paying some attention as to what actually goes into the development and release of the game, maybe then they'll get that it's not all as black and white as they think. Although to be honest, I think even after that most would still bitch about things like this because some people are simply never going to be satisfied.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xplodedd
    dsplayer1010 said:
    why is it not, i dont have 2 hours to burn
    Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tylea002
    xplodedd said:
    "dsplayer1010 said:
    why is it not, i dont have 2 hours to burn"
    Well, I shall paraphrase for you as your lack of effort in this matter which you seem to have some opinion on is surprising. Also well done on using one slightly incorrect piece of grammar in your sentence, a semi-colon would have worked better though.

Anyway, in the bombcast it was said that these maps would have not been able to make the final cut on the disc, as the game content gets locked on the disc a good week or so before it goes gold. Then there, in the case of Gears 2, was a substantial period of time where the game had gone gold, but had not come out, proving that they could not have been on the disc.

Secondly, there are many maps on the Gears 2 disc already, its not the Beautiful Katamari situation of lack of content on the disc unless you pay. They even gave 5 extra, reused maps if you bought the game new, so the inclusion of these as premium DLC is not an unfair prospect. However, it always comes down to personal opinion whether it is a "rip off," as you have to ask yourself, would you pay the asking amount for the content. If you bought it but accuse it of being a rip off, you are wrong, as you felt in your personal sense of worth that the content was worth the premium.

I really hope that helps.
    Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Torrim

Any amount of money for multilayer maps will never be worth it, really.

Avatar image for hammersm4shface
    HAMMERSM4SHFACE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HAMMERSM4SHFACE
    Shadow said:
    "

It's good to finally see someone not overreacting to a company selling something they don't want to buy

"
    QFT
    I like how as soon as someone is dissatisfied with DLC, not only is the company (Epic) going down the tubes, the parent company (Microsoft) is a monster, and the multi-million dollar blockbuster of awesomeness that is Gears of War 2 is, and I quote, "going down a path of fail on a scale of historic proportions". Wow... The internet has gotten no less whiny in my absence.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187

LOL  Here's what I think funny:  pretty much ALL DLC is a rip-off.  The point of the matter is that you pay for more stuff in the game, and given that these are multiplayer maps which will get played TIME AND TIME AGAIN...$10 isn't anything that bad.

If you seriously want to complain...just play...without...the maps???  A NOVEL IDEA, I KNOW!!!

I don't bother paying for DLC just because DLC isn't that important to me.  I'm cool with whatever ships on the disc...even with L4D.

Although that's probably the first time in my life that I'll throw down for some DLC.  = D
    MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MOLE

Epic released a game that has a broken multiplayer.  Let me repeat, BROKEN MULTIPLAYER

Now some of you are thinking "STOP PLAYING IT", well thats just not enough for me to stop bitching at the game.  See I love Gears 1, its my all time favorite game, and when Epic goes in an screws up everything, it pisses me off.  Why should they expect people to pay more for a product thats practicly considered broken?  Thats like you buying meat at Costco, and you bring it home to realise that its freezer burnt.  You then go to return it, and in the store they have signs saying "MEAT SOLD HERE, ONLY $64.95",  but that costs about 4X more than the origional price.  Wouldn't that piss you off? 

"GO BACK AND PLAY GEARS 1 THEN", well, thats something I was considering, but Gears 2 has new weapons that I love, its just that they are not balanced.  I beleive in time with a few patches, Gears 2 will be worth actually spending time playing. 

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By elko84
    William said:
    "MOLE said:
    "Thats the equivelent of someone making you pay to take a shit for $10.  "
    ???"
    my thought exactly lol
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xplodedd
    Tylea002 said:
    "xplodedd said:
    "dsplayer1010 said:
    why is it not, i dont have 2 hours to burn"
    Well, I shall paraphrase for you as your lack of effort in this matter which you seem to have some opinion on is surprising. Also well done on using one slightly incorrect piece of grammar in your sentence, a semi-colon would have worked better though.

Anyway, in the bombcast it was said that these maps would have not been able to make the final cut on the disc, as the game content gets locked on the disc a good week or so before it goes gold. Then there, in the case of Gears 2, was a substantial period of time where the game had gone gold, but had not come out, proving that they could not have been on the disc.

Secondly, there are many maps on the Gears 2 disc already, its not the Beautiful Katamari situation of lack of content on the disc unless you pay. They even gave 5 extra, reused maps if you bought the game new, so the inclusion of these as premium DLC is not an unfair prospect. However, it always comes down to personal opinion whether it is a "rip off," as you have to ask yourself, would you pay the asking amount for the content. If you bought it but accuse it of being a rip off, you are wrong, as you felt in your personal sense of worth that the content was worth the premium.

I really hope that helps."
    it does.
    thanks
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Is it your time of the month or something?

MOLE said:

"Microsoft, why have you betrayed me?!"

Renegade_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Renegade_v2

ill buy what ever the fuck i want

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RetroIce4

I am still waiting for Halo 3 to make their maps free. Bungie is  a bitch. I pay for Halo 3 but can only do like half of the matchmaking. Almost half of them include the new maps and the price hasnt' gone down.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jayge_

Regardless of whether or not it should have been on the disk and all of that bullshit, paying 10 dollars for 3 multiplayer maps is just stupid.

That is all.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By MKHavoc

I really don't think this is worth getting upset over.  If you bought the game new, then you already have 15 maps which is more than a lot of games have.  I won't be buying them only because I haven't been playing that game online very much.  But don't you think it's a little too much to say that whoever buys them should stop playing  games.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Kazona
    MOLE said:
    "Epic released a game that has a broken multiplayer.  Let me repeat, BROKEN MULTIPLAYER

Now some of you are thinking "STOP PLAYING IT", well thats just not enough for me to stop bitching at the game.  See I love Gears 1, its my all time favorite game, and when Epic goes in an screws up everything, it pisses me off.  Why should they expect people to pay more for a product thats practicly considered broken?  Thats like you buying meat at Costco, and you bring it home to realise that its freezer burnt.  You then go to return it, and in the store they have signs saying "MEAT SOLD HERE, ONLY $64.95",  but that costs about 4X more than the origional price.  Wouldn't that piss you off? 

"GO BACK AND PLAY GEARS 1 THEN", well, thats something I was considering, but Gears 2 has new weapons that I love, its just that they are not balanced.  I beleive in time with a few patches, Gears 2 will be worth actually spending time playing. "
    The patches they released to fix multiplayer issues are free and have nothing to do with the map pack.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28  Edited By RHCPfan24

DLC is totally different than physical products, and I don't understand why MOLE is trying to compare them. These maps are supposed to be pretty awesome; I haven't bought them myself, as I suspect they will lower in price in the next few months, but of course they should be charged. For one, they get money for it, so, yeah, they are going to charge. Second, it does cost $ to make these maps; maybe they could have been included on the disc or something, but they still cost money to make them.  Anyway, what I am trying to say is that people can justifiably buy these maps because they cost money to make and they are probably pretty kick-ass.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crunchUK
    RetroIce4 said:
    "I am still waiting for Halo 3 to make their maps free. Bungie is  a bitch. I pay for Halo 3 but can only do like half of the matchmaking. Almost half of them include the new maps and the price hasnt' gone down."
    the heroic maps are free and the legendary maps are 400 MS points and were originally 800...
    and anyway i think that releasing a map pack 1 month after release i plain ridiculousd
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By brukaoru
    crunchUK said:
    "RetroIce4 said:
    "I am still waiting for Halo 3 to make their maps free. Bungie is  a bitch. I pay for Halo 3 but can only do like half of the matchmaking. Almost half of them include the new maps and the price hasnt' gone down."
    the heroic maps are free and the legendary maps are 400 MS points and were originally 800...
    and anyway i think that releasing a map pack 1 month after release i plain ridiculousd"
    Are you sure it's Bungie's fault and not Microsoft's? EPIC wanted to release free maps for the first Gears of War but Microsoft would not let them.
    T3hbonerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By T3hbonerer

unfortunately i have to agree here, this dlc may be kool but the game has only been out about a month and they had dlc ready to go this quick, u have to question that, although theres no question that plenty of people will still buy it, it just seems shady

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By gearhead
    DirrtyNinja said:
    "MOLE said:
    "MS are such evil bastards, Epic is just another victom.  Gears of War is going down a path of fail on a scale of historic praportions."
    Your avatar is quite fitting. "
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

jakob187 said:
    "LOL  Here's what I think funny:  pretty much ALL DLC is a rip-off."
    Wow wow wow.... You can buy level ups in Tales of Vesperia! Everyone levels up 5 levels for two bucks! You call that a rip off!? Pfft. Best. Deal. EVAR!
    Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Warfare
    xplodedd said:
    "these maps could have obviously been on disc.
    such a ripoff"
    Clearly.
    StickyMicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By StickyMicky

i am a massive gears 1 fan, and had high hopes for the second game, but i was left disappointed with the multiplayer mode, so much so, that i only play hoarde mode now, the normal multiplayer mode is just to shitty and broken for me.

if the game did not ship with hoarde mode i would have traded it in by now, and i was still playing gears 1 up until the release of 2 (and still a little afterwards)

such a shame, i dont care about all the dickheads complaing about smoke grenades and all that crap, it is meant to be played different from the shotgun fest the previous game was, and that is fine IMHO, but the key phrase is that its meant to be "played" not "chored"  and multiplayer is a complete chore for most of the gamers who were trying to play it after release.

how i could struggle for 20-30 mins to find a game, hearing from epic that it was just because the game is new and it takes a while to sort itself out? this is rubbish, i even took the disc out, put gears 1 back in and could play no problems at all.

waiting a few days for the mystical "sorting out" to happen did not work.

a patch was released to help things, and it did speed the matchmaking up, but by this point i was sick of hearing that bloody music that plays when its trying to matchmake you!

the rank system, this is broken, i managed to get up to rank 2 easy enough, had a really bad laggy/cheater game and moved back down, i have been unable to rank back up, some would say that is because i have not won enough games etc etc, i say fair enough, but why is the matchmaking ALWAYS pairing me up with 3/4/5 rank players when playing guardian/execution/warzone ?

when i tried wingman it was all rank 1 players ?

when i play hoarde it is all rank 1 players ?

in gears 1 i used to play mainly warzone-gridlock, i like this combo, now i am forced to play modes i don't want to play by the poor matchmaking, i used to hate quitters with a passion, but after a while i figured what the hell, i did not buy this game to be forced into playing modes i dont like (i hate execution with a passion) so i started quitting if i could not play what i wanted, and so do around 30% of other players by the looks of things.

so the map packs, doubtful i would pay for them, they don't interest me in the slightest, i cant say i would even download them if they were free unless you could use them in hoarde mode :-(

i figured that the long wait for gears 2 would be worth it as i would be set for another few years of "multiplayer bliss gaming", instead just a few weeks after release i am thinking i should really pick up a new game because i am bored with it :-(

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By crunchUK
    brukaoru said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "RetroIce4 said:
    and anyway i think that releasing a map pack 1 month after release i plain ridiculousd"
    Are you sure it's Bungie's fault and not Microsoft's? EPIC wanted to release free maps for the first Gears of War but Microsoft would not let them."
    well MS says that all stuff over 10MB has to be charged for for at least 2 months... the heroic maps became free after 2 months but the people who bought them felt cheated and so they aren't oging to make the legendary ones free

at least thats what a bungie employee said on the forums. but they aren't going to say they will make them free are they? who would buy them then?  so idk wether it actually means much
    MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MOLE
    Kazona said:
    "MOLE said:
    "Epic released a game that has a broken multiplayer.  Let me repeat, BROKEN MULTIPLAYER

"GO BACK AND PLAY GEARS 1 THEN", well, thats something I was considering, but Gears 2 has new weapons that I love, its just that they are not balanced.  I beleive in time with a few patches, Gears 2 will be worth actually spending time playing. "
    The patches they released to fix multiplayer issues are free and have nothing to do with the map pack."

The patches did NOT fix the multiplayer, all it did was turn a 10 minute matchmaking search to a 30 second to 3 minute search.  Thats still not enough to fix the multiplayer, theres still tons of lag, glitches, voting for game modes, and too many unbalanced weapons.
    DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By DARKIDO07

I'll pay for the maps when they fix the multiplayer.....

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TwoOneFive

had no interest in it anyways, the online takes too long i gave up on it. spent more time waiting than playing. 

Slugger4203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Slugger4203

Why pay for maps in such a crappy online? Especially when they will be free in a few months..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.