Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Gears 2 and You: Throttled Achievements & Online Gameplay

HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By HawkSE

We all love what Cliff B has done for gaming, more notably the Unreal series and now Gears of Wars a new franchise...

Gears of War was AMAZING, still is to this day. Lately, we've gotten to see how nitpicky he can be. For instance:

Throttled Achievements: GoW2 (or GeOW2) will feature throttled achievements. What does this mean? (Paraphrasing Cliff B) If you are going for the Headshot achievement (presumably 100 for this game as well), you will only get one credit towards the achievement per match. If they all end up like this, then getting to 10,003 kills (explain that next) will be bitch.

Kills Online: Well, Gears first did 10,000 kills in ranked matches. The Club one-upped them by asking for 10,001 kills online. More recently Battlefield Bad Company asks of you to kill 10,002 people online. Safe to say, Gears 2 will ask 10,003. Pretty funny, unless Cliff goes nuts and says like 11,000 or 20,000.

Anybody notice anything else? I'm not picking on the guy, but he just has a vision for how he wants his games to be played and I commend him for it, though it outrages Achievement whores and fans alike. I'm never good online, so it won't bother me much. If the netcode gets fixed, I might actually be better than I appear now...

Blueblur1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Blueblur1

I'm tired of these shitty multiplayer achievements. Kill 100 dudes with a specific weapon? F*** that. Its such lazy design and makes some of the achievements unachievable for casual players.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Player1

Part of the point to those achievements were to make them unavailable for the casuel player. If you could get them all in 5 days you wouldnt reward the hardcore player. I acually like this one a game thing. This will make the multiplayer more of a team game, rather then a singleplayer "I just want to get achievements" game.

The real question is did anyone really care about winning in multiplayer in gears 1? I dont think so, everyone just cared about achievements. You got no reward for winning. I hope this gears game gives you match bonus, or has some sort of achievement that gives you a real reward for winning.

HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HawkSE

I agree, definitely. I'm not against it so much, but achievements should be middle-ground, not up in the atmosphere. I mean the goal is to be good enough to obtain them all. I agree, Gears 2 shouldn't have 5 achievements you can get in 2 minutes (a la Avatar). But they shouldn't shut the public (whether their novice or expert) out.

45gergewf4545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 45gergewf4545

I just hope when they say get 100 kills with some weapon that you actually get the achievement at 100 kills. :-P

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By RedSox8933

i love multiplayer achievements, call of duty 4 needed some

Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Hulk

Hulk like achievements when done correctly.  When Hulk first start playing Gears Hulk not use certain weapons.  Hulk eventually decide to use certain weapons for achievements to help spice game up and make it a bit more challenging, and Hulk ended up enjoying using them.  The weapon achievements helped encourage Hulk to try out certain ones extensively and Hulk got very good with them and had fun.

Hulk still not too sure if he like this throttled stuff though.

Avatar image for ice_cold_rayman
    Ice_Cold_Rayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ice_Cold_Rayman

Eh, i'm not fond of this idea. It will just end up angering people that are good enough to get a ton of headshots/sniper kills/etc. during a match.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Blu_Magic

I actually like this new idea. Now ranked matches won't be full of achievement whores rushing the power weapons to get its respective achievement.

C172Driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By C172Driver
    Blu_Magic said:
    "I actually like this new idea. Now ranked matches won't be full of achievement whores rushing the power weapons to get its respective achievement.
    "

I agree, it is a good way to balance the gameplay.
    HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HawkSE

I'm not opposed to it at all, just makes it harder, but could improve online play for Gears 2 especially with a party system. When they removed that in Gears 1 a lot of my friends stopped playing it, and the ones that still did had a hard time finding each other.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Player1
    Hulk said:
    "Hulk like achievements when done correctly.  When Hulk first start playing Gears Hulk not use certain weapons.  Hulk eventually decide to use certain weapons for achievements to help spice game up and make it a bit more challenging, and Hulk ended up enjoying using them.  The weapon achievements helped encourage Hulk to try out certain ones extensively and Hulk got very good with them and had fun.

"
    Ok is this guy annoying the hell out of anywhere else? He's everywhere. 

I do agree with him though. It encourages you to use different weapons. But still it involves stealing the long shot from an actual good sniper, so you can try to get your kills with it.
    LuffyUzumaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By LuffyUzumaki

dude its gears its not for the faint of heart 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Player1 said:
    "The real question is did anyone really care about winning in multiplayer in gears 1? I dont think so, everyone just cared about achievements. You got no reward for winning. I hope this gears game gives you match bonus, or has some sort of achievement that gives you a real reward for winning."

Totally. Gears' multiplayer was terribly shallow and was only ever really used by people to get achievements in the first place, so if that doesn't change, the game will be equally as annoying to play online.
    Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blu_Magic
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Player1 said:
    "The real question is did anyone really care about winning in multiplayer in gears 1? I dont think so, everyone just cared about achievements. You got no reward for winning. I hope this gears game gives you match bonus, or has some sort of achievement that gives you a real reward for winning."

Totally. Gears' multiplayer was terribly shallow and was only ever really used by people to get achievements in the first place, so if that doesn't change, the game will be equally as annoying to play online.
    "
    Well I actually played Gears for fun. Not for achievements or rewards for winning a match.
    Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hulk
    Player1 said:
    "Hulk said:
    "Hulk like achievements when done correctly.  When Hulk first start playing Gears Hulk not use certain weapons.  Hulk eventually decide to use certain weapons for achievements to help spice game up and make it a bit more challenging, and Hulk ended up enjoying using them.  The weapon achievements helped encourage Hulk to try out certain ones extensively and Hulk got very good with them and had fun.

"
    Ok is this guy annoying the hell out of anywhere else? He's everywhere. 

I do agree with him though. It encourages you to use different weapons. But still it involves stealing the long shot from an actual good sniper, so you can try to get your kills with it.
    "
    Hulk SMASH puny Player1.
    Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting Achievements in Multiplayer is going to be a bit of a grind now, but I guess now people will try to get 1 credit for each online achievement every game, I guess that will encourage some diversity.

Avatar image for chocolatecoffin
    ChocolateCoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By ChocolateCoffin

Achievements aren't meant to be easy, if you're a casual gamer, you don't deserve 1000 gamerscore from a game.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By OGCartman

Its gonna pwn so hard

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Burns09
    LuffyUzumaki said:
    "dude its gears its not for the faint of heart "
    What? Anyways back on topic if you can only get one credit towards a sniper head shot a match, it might change the whole everybody rushes the sniper and the same d bag gets it over and over again. After getting your one head shot you could trade off and let some one else use it, which would be a nice change from GOW1 mp.
    Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Thunder

I like these ideas for the achievements. It rewards the hardcore gamer and not the an achievement whore.

AcidicVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AcidicVision

I dont like insane number'ed acheivements. That just leads to people farming with a specific weapon. Its really sh**y in games that are team based tactical. How can your team work together as a unit for some wins when you have one douche bag that is constantly running into enemies and getting ganked because he is trying to farm the grenade tag acheive?

Acheivements like that dont promote or augment gameplay. They lead to 'grinding' on live. And thats garbage thats no fun for anyone. I think COD4 did it right. All of the acheivements were in campaign, so you could get them on your own; a few of them were balls hard. Online the better you played or more you played would award you with equipment, perk or gun upgrades. That was cool.

Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nemesis

I rather no multiplayer achievements, or a few of them in a competitive multiplayer game.  As I like to bring up, and others do to Call of Duty 4 had no multiplayer achievements, yet still many poeple play it. Halo 3 had few multiplayer achievements also. Adding achievements that reward players for being greedy and whoring weapons is not good mutliplayer design. Also this "throttled achievement" thing is just a quick band aid fix for a problem bigger than a cut (sorry for the lame metaphor). I'll still play it a lot but I'm not expecting to get a lot of achievements since I know they will put some stupid grinding achievements. Gears Of War achievements were not hard at all, they were just time consuming.

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ma7moud

Multiplayer achievements are cool. Hopefully they will be easy in Gears 2 because I planing to get the 1000 point in Gears 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.