Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Gears 2 multiplayer has been a disappointment

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By samcotts

So I finally bought Gears 2 today, and sunk the last 3 hours into the multiplayer, and ended up feeling frustrated. Before I get started, I want you to know that I loved the first Gears -probably my favourite 360 game- and actually didn't get myself excited for the sequal, so it's not even like I set my expectations too high. I haven't started the single player, as I'm saving that for Saturday.

I have two issues with the multiplayer. The first being matchmaking. It works great for CoD4, but terrible for Gears 2. Not being able to choose which game to join, which map to play, or even which multiplayer mode to partake in is a nightmare. I don't understand why any would want their game to be essentially chosen for them, especially in a game like Gears where you either love or hate each maps and game modes, respectively. No more giant 18 round games, as you can't choose the amout of rounds either. The whole community feel of Gears has vanished.

This links in with my second issue, not being able to quit. Sure that sounds great, stops anyone leaving just because they're losing or what have you, but one of the great aspects of the first Gears was having the ability to freely join and leave any game of your choice. Now that is no more. It ruins the experience. Even before the game even starts, you can't quit! If you're added to a game and you don't like the game mode or map, even when you're only in the lobby before it's even started, you are stuck with that game until the X amount of rounds are completed. Sure you can turn your console off and on, but that's not practical and it's time consuming. Earlier today I was in a game where it was me against 5 other people before the game even began, and that's exactly the reason why you need to be able to quit.

That should do it, enough moaning from me. It's a great game -basing on the multiplayer alone- but it doesn't equal the first in any way online. It's a real shame. Horde is brilliant thoufh, and I'm sure the single player will be great, and hopefully the multiplayer will grow on me.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By samcotts

So I finally bought Gears 2 today, and sunk the last 3 hours into the multiplayer, and ended up feeling frustrated. Before I get started, I want you to know that I loved the first Gears -probably my favourite 360 game- and actually didn't get myself excited for the sequal, so it's not even like I set my expectations too high. I haven't started the single player, as I'm saving that for Saturday.

I have two issues with the multiplayer. The first being matchmaking. It works great for CoD4, but terrible for Gears 2. Not being able to choose which game to join, which map to play, or even which multiplayer mode to partake in is a nightmare. I don't understand why any would want their game to be essentially chosen for them, especially in a game like Gears where you either love or hate each maps and game modes, respectively. No more giant 18 round games, as you can't choose the amout of rounds either. The whole community feel of Gears has vanished.

This links in with my second issue, not being able to quit. Sure that sounds great, stops anyone leaving just because they're losing or what have you, but one of the great aspects of the first Gears was having the ability to freely join and leave any game of your choice. Now that is no more. It ruins the experience. Even before the game even starts, you can't quit! If you're added to a game and you don't like the game mode or map, even when you're only in the lobby before it's even started, you are stuck with that game until the X amount of rounds are completed. Sure you can turn your console off and on, but that's not practical and it's time consuming. Earlier today I was in a game where it was me against 5 other people before the game even began, and that's exactly the reason why you need to be able to quit.

That should do it, enough moaning from me. It's a great game -basing on the multiplayer alone- but it doesn't equal the first in any way online. It's a real shame. Horde is brilliant thoufh, and I'm sure the single player will be great, and hopefully the multiplayer will grow on me.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

Ranked matches in the first Gears were a nightmare. Three out of four games at least of the people in the server would quite making it boring and no fun for the people that stayed. The matchmaking would be perfectly fine for the ranked matches but they should have kept public player matches. I don't really care if there was even a little bit of host advantage either.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

You cant quit an online game? Ridiculous.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Exactly my problems with it. You can't even make a game entirely private.

The bottom line is that the game is trying too fucking hard to be Halo 3 in every regard multiplayer wise. I thought the multiplayer server system in Gears 1 was simple and easy to navigate, and allowed you to play whatever game type you want on whatever match you want, but Gears 2 won't even let you do that. To tie the entire thing together, the matchmaking is just about broken because getting into a public match by yourself is damn near impossible. Gears 2's multiplayer is probably one of the biggest let downs in the history of gaming, and I feel incredibly frustrated by the fact that the sequel to the best Xbox 360 game released in 06 is worse than the original. I really hope Bungie somehow gets to sue Epic for basically taking their shitty matchmaking system so that Epic will be forced to change back to their original format.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.