Gears 2 Snowblind Map Pack analysis

#1 Posted by infestedandy (266 posts) -

Yes I did do the article and yes I'm looking for some insight.

I like the new maps a lot more than the Combustible ones and those aren't half-bad either. If you wanted a look at the maps I did a little video tour of each one.

What do you all think?

#2 Posted by Ouroboros (344 posts) -

The maps are absolutely better then Combustible but still I think they are pumping map packs out a little too quickly and not trying to fix the incessant lag and wait between matches.  I`d reccomend getting the pack to those who havent but I think a lot of people playing Gears 2 right now are on the fence it seems with the multiplayer.  I hate to poop and derail on your thread, it`s just frustrating to me that`s all that the issues are still there in the game.  Local multiplayer and at least Horde multiplayer works very well on these maps too as well..

#3 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

all gears 2 maps are garbage. basically they take a layout and sneeze half walls all over it

#4 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -
crunchUK said:
"all gears 2 maps are garbage. basically they take a layout and sneeze half walls all over it "
compared to halo 3 maps which all seem to be the exact same maps we've played twice before in halo 1 and 2 though thankfully and pittingly they haven't remade bloodgultch/coag though thats what id like to see.
#5 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
WilliamRLBaker said:
"crunchUK said:
"all gears 2 maps are garbage. basically they take a layout and sneeze half walls all over it "
compared to halo 3 maps which all seem to be the exact same maps we've played twice before in halo 1 and 2 though thankfully and pittingly they haven't remade bloodgultch/coag though thats what id like to see."
What? the only remade maps are blackout, cold storage and last resort (which isn't a straight up remake anyway)
#6 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
crunchUK said:
"WilliamRLBaker said:
"crunchUK said:
compared to halo 3 maps which all seem to be the exact same maps we've played twice before in halo 1 and 2 though thankfully and pittingly they haven't remade bloodgultch/coag though thats what id like to see."
What? the only remade maps are blackout, cold storage and last resort (which isn't a straight up remake anyway)"
There are many spiritual successors though. I am really mad at Gears 2. I wanted it to be my favorite game... I traded it in last week.
#7 Posted by MacGyver (280 posts) -

I downloaded them like 3 days ago and they got me playing Gears of War again. Its just a basic map pack but all four of them are worth a play.

#8 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

Snowblind > Combustible

My favorite of the pack is Courtyard.  I love the different levels and stairs for hammbursting/lancering. The power weapon spawns are pretty good.  Grindyard is great for Horde and the Fuel Depot remake is better than the original IMO.  Though, I don't really like Underhill.  The garage pisses me off.

#9 Posted by Ket87 (441 posts) -

Snowblind definitely got me back into playing, mainly because it coincided with the update but hey the maps are still good though a lot better than combustible which I got then 2 days later stopped playing gears 2 altogether. I'm disappointed though that I got snowblind then all of a sudden Dark Corners is announced with 7 maps and a campaign level. They are just throwing content at us left and right when the game itself isn't quite up to par yet, maybe with DC we'll get another title update to alleviate issues that should have been fixed by the end of november last year.

#10 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -
@infestedandy: good job. nice pacing and a good voice
#11 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

I think it's so obvious that Epic doesn't put much effort into their maps.  That and the fact that these were already made before ship.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.