Gears 2 Stealth Missions and Retail Pricing: Explained

Posted by Sweep (8950 posts) -

After hearing the befuddled account on the Bombcast, it seems nobody really knows what the fuck is going on with this upcoming Gears Of War 2 DLC coming out this summer (despite my blog which explained it all very clearly). There was confusion over if the DLC would be released on disk at retail, also over the "Hidden Chapters". Well, using the power vested in me by absolutely nobody at all, heres me: Explaining how shit works. Again.

EXHIBIT A

The Box Art

Please note the smallprint at the top of the box:

"REQUIRES FULL VERSION OF THE GAME TO PLAY"

and

"NO DISK INCLUDED, DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT ONLY"

Thats right kids, even if you go out to the store and buy the retail copy with the cloth map equivalent in all it's glory - you still have to plug it into to the world wide web and download DLC the old (new?) fashioned way. I guess the only real benefits to doing it retail as well is to raise public awareness about the DLC for the technologically befuddled, and for people who don't have credit cards and are stuck in the 70's trying to pay for DLC by cheque. Put the pen down, you crazy old bastards.

EXHIBIT B

The "Hidden Chapters" with "Stealth Mode"

The only people who are going to get this DLC are people who already played Gears Of War 2. So, if you didn't pick up on the fact that after

DOM SHOOTS MARIA IN THE HEAD WITH A MAGNUM

Marcus tentatively asks if he would like to sneak at the Hollow, suggesting a "plan" and Holding a Theron Helmet. Dom goes a bit glossy eyed and says he wants to "Kill em all". Game continues at usual pace, locust are chainsawed, etc. You aren't offered a choice. Well, here it is.
The more astute amongst you may also remember that prior to the aformentioned big SPOILER Marcus and Dom have the option of trailing some Locust through the Prison Pens without engaging them. Stealthy.

So yeah, that's almost guaranteed to be the part in the story where you get the option to go all Sam Fisher. I don't have this from a reliable source who works for EPIC, I have this on "common sense". Believe what you want.

Hope that helped clear things up.
Love Sweep
#1 Posted by Sweep (8950 posts) -

After hearing the befuddled account on the Bombcast, it seems nobody really knows what the fuck is going on with this upcoming Gears Of War 2 DLC coming out this summer (despite my blog which explained it all very clearly). There was confusion over if the DLC would be released on disk at retail, also over the "Hidden Chapters". Well, using the power vested in me by absolutely nobody at all, heres me: Explaining how shit works. Again.

EXHIBIT A

The Box Art

Please note the smallprint at the top of the box:

"REQUIRES FULL VERSION OF THE GAME TO PLAY"

and

"NO DISK INCLUDED, DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT ONLY"

Thats right kids, even if you go out to the store and buy the retail copy with the cloth map equivalent in all it's glory - you still have to plug it into to the world wide web and download DLC the old (new?) fashioned way. I guess the only real benefits to doing it retail as well is to raise public awareness about the DLC for the technologically befuddled, and for people who don't have credit cards and are stuck in the 70's trying to pay for DLC by cheque. Put the pen down, you crazy old bastards.

EXHIBIT B

The "Hidden Chapters" with "Stealth Mode"

The only people who are going to get this DLC are people who already played Gears Of War 2. So, if you didn't pick up on the fact that after

Marcus tentatively asks if he would like to sneak at the Hollow, suggesting a "plan" and Holding a Theron Helmet. Dom goes a bit glossy eyed and says he wants to "Kill em all". Game continues at usual pace, locust are chainsawed, etc. You aren't offered a choice. Well, here it is.
The more astute amongst you may also remember that prior to the aformentioned big SPOILER Marcus and Dom have the option of trailing some Locust through the Prison Pens without engaging them. Stealthy.

So yeah, that's almost guaranteed to be the part in the story where you get the option to go all Sam Fisher. I don't have this from a reliable source who works for EPIC, I have this on "common sense". Believe what you want.

Hope that helped clear things up.
Love Sweep
#2 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

To clear things up: I got screwed for buying the content when it came out. Now I am, essentially, losing $20.

Fuck EPIC.
#3 Edited by Sweep (8950 posts) -

well actually, not quite
the cost of the 7 maps already available as DLC amounts to: $20.
The cost of all 14 maps (including the yet-to-be-released ones) is $20.

So if you were prepared to pay $20 for 7 maps already, you are basically getting the same deal here. 7 new maps for $20, plus if you get it retail you get a cloth map and all that crap.

People who didn't already get any DLC are getting an awesome deal of basically getting all the maps half price.

#4 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
Sweep said:
"who didn't already get any DLC are getting an awesome deal of basically getting all the maps half price."
I believe this is the part where the people who already bought the DLC (that's you and I, Sweep) get fucked without so much as an "I love you."
#5 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
@End_Boss: And me. Like I said. If this had come out at a later time (say give it 6 more months) then I wouldn't be pissed. But it's so soon, you know?
#6 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
"@End_Boss: And me. Like I said. If this had come out at a later time (say give it 6 more months) then I wouldn't be pissed. But it's so soon, you know?"
I hold grudges.
#7 Posted by Sweep (8950 posts) -

ok well apparently i'm alone here - i'm actually prepared to drop $20 (or whatever the shitty English equivalent is) for these 7 New maps and the new Missions, DESPITE already owning the 7 maps which cost me (ZOMG) exactly the same amount. If they were releasing all 14 at the standard price it would probably cost you $40 anyway (because that's apparently what they are worth), so quit your bitching.

If you are still whining, take a look around - people have been getting fucked over for DLC for years. Horse Armour anyone? Street Fighter 4 Costumes? welcome to digital distribution motherfuckers :D

#8 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
@Sweep: I mean, I wasn't going to bitch until you said the bit about it being the same deal. Am I still going to buy this shit? Probably. But internet forums are for discussion, and I would like to discuss how it's fucked up that some people are paying $40 bones (yes, they are) for some maps and shit and some other folks aren't. Yes, it's digital distribution. Yes, I know people have been getting fucked on it for a while now. Don't make it right.
#9 Edited by Discorsi (1390 posts) -

@Sweep:dude we totally needa play some gears 2 again together.  haven't really been on xbl that much so i'll be hella rusty.  First gotta get back my xbox from my friends house lol.

#10 Edited by Sweep (8950 posts) -

@End_Boss: yeah but you aren't being fair in allocating the values - you paid $20 to get those maps 4 months ago, and you have been playing them ever since. Did you get your money's worth? I certainly fucking did. Would you rather have waited and got them all in July just to save a bit of money? If so then perhaps your priorities are different to my own. I play too much gears to care about waiting 6 months for new content just to save $20.

#11 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
Sweep said:
"@End_Boss: yeah but you aren't being fair in allocating the values - you paid $20 to get those maps 4 months ago, and you have been playing them ever since. Did you get your money's worth? I certainly fucking did. Would you rather have waited and got them all in July just to save a bit of money? If so then perhaps your priorities are different to my own. I play too much gears to care about waiting 6 months for new content just to save $20."
Indeed, I think this is the case, because if someone told me four months ago that there would be this compendium of maps plus some other kinda' cool shit for half the price, I totally would have like... Bought a t-shirt, or something.
#12 Posted by ShogunSupremacy (141 posts) -

Well the cool thing is this....Yay Gears of War 2 isnt done yet, they keep adding more shit to it, I think the big underlining question here is this, for the achievement whores of the world and with Microsoft bitching about Gears already maxing the GS cap at 1400+ will there be new achievements in the new mission and 7 new map packs??? There is the real question!

#13 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
ShogunSupremacy said:
"Well the cool thing is this....Yay Gears of War 2 isnt done yet, they keep adding more shit to it, I think the big underlining question here is this, for the achievement whores of the world and with Microsoft bitching about Gears already maxing the GS cap at 1400+ will there be new achievements in the new mission and 7 new map packs??? There is the real question!"
Of course there will be. EPIC consists of a bunch of douchebags out to ruin my gamerscore completion.
#14 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

just wondering how the fuck would metal gears of solid work? marcus wouldn't fit in a box and you'd keep taking cover against the boxes by mistake so i think this DLC will fail

and

thanks for ruining the ending for me :(

#15 Posted by Plasma (931 posts) -

Stop bitching and listen, your still paying $20 for 7 maps, its just people who waited get the other 14 for free

#16 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
Plasma said:
"Stop bitching and listen, your still paying $20 for 7 maps, its just people who waited get the other 14 for free"
No, you.
Those who bought the maps when they first came out are paying $40 dollars. Those who buy them all now are getting them for $20 dollars. You basically said what everyone who has a problem with it has said.
#17 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
End_Boss said:
"Plasma said:
"Stop bitching and listen, your still paying $20 for 7 maps, its just people who waited get the other 14 for free"
No, you.
Those who bought the maps when they first came out are paying $40 dollars. Those who buy them all now are getting them for $20 dollars. You basically said what everyone who has a problem with it has said."
Exactly. I'm so tired of you douchebags, Plasma, who try to prove we're wrong. Well we are not. We have a big fucking reason to be angry.
#18 Posted by ShogunSupremacy (141 posts) -

Of ourse we do me and my buddy read the post on IGN and screamed to the world that we just wasted 20 bucks for buyin the 2 prior maps when we could of waited and saved 20 bucks....classic case of some really weird ironic saying ( yet to be determined) hahah

#19 Posted by theMcNasty (740 posts) -
Sweep said:
"and for people who don't have credit cards and are stuck in the 70's trying to pay for DLC by cheque. Put the pen down, you crazy old bastards."

ROFL
.  Sweep, what a witty post you crazy old bastard.  :)

End_Boss said:
"I believe this is the part where the people who already bought the DLC (that's you and I, Sweep) get fucked without so much as an "I love you."

Right on the money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.