I've had a bunch of hours with the game already, because I'm a loser of course. I have beat the story, unlocked every achievement save four of the harder ones, beat horde, and played a considerable amount of time in multiplayer. That being said, this is what makes me angry.
- Story -- While the set pieces and overall "epic" feeling of the events is amazing, the storyline never impacted me. I had no emotional pull, and felt like the story was stretched in terms of plot. If you read a wiki summarization of the entire game, you realize you hardly did anything. Just everything you do, you get screwed over and have to do it another way.
- Chainsaw. I am a big chainsaw bitch myself, but I can realize what makes it over-powered. Often times, when two people are supposed to clash, instead one person decimates the other. Or, if a person is turned around and you are coming from behind; if he starts to turn around sometimes it can blow right through you. Also, it seems more capable of driving through bullets. Shotguns, lancer... I've gone through it all still revving. Also, you'll consistently lock onto the wrong opponent.
- Shields, it seems balanced for them to move slow and yet have cover, but it seems a bit overpowered currently. Most of the time you won't have the requirements to effectively kill them. Then when they hide behind the shield, their pistol bullets will take you down faster.
- Matchmaking is slow. As I've found in a thread, apparently EPIC realizes this problem and is possibly fixing it, or waiting for the servers to calm down. Whatever it is, it needs to be fixed. I want to jump in and play, not sit in a lobby looking for matches that constantly refresh.
- Too much time before and after matches. Voting is fine and all, but then you have to wait twenty seconds or so while it loads, another fifteen for it to start. Then you have to sit there, literally listening to the opposition being a bunch of bitches and yelling comments at you after a match. If anything, at least let me go right back to the lobby. My blood pressure will go through the roof if I have to listen to bragging idiots with clan gamertags after every match.
- Lag. I've joined numerous games with lag issues. It's not fun teleporting for an entire game.
- The voting system. I like voting on maps, but not on game types. If I want to do matchmaking, I'd prefer it my choice. I hate doing Territories and have to play Annex, just because people vote it. Not much motivation for me to play happily.
- Stopping power. I have heard a lot of people complaining about stopping power, and I don't really see why. Regardless, the main complaint here is that there is too much of it.
- Concussion grenades. Don't even get me started on how long it takes to get back up, or how cheesy your battle-hardened character falls. On top of that, let's add planted grenades to the scheme of things. It slows down the pace of the game, and encourages turtling.
Overall a great game, not what some people were expecting when it comes to the multiplayer. I personally enjoy it, save a few frustrating moments. Glad I didn't fall into as much hype as everybody else. When that happens, of course you will be disappointed. All I can see is some questionable choices as far as design is concerned. Why make me listen to trash-talking "gangsters" for such a long time? For such a high-budget game, what's with the excessive lagging? Why is Submission so unbalanced and boring, when it's such a great concept?
Feel free to post your criticism on some of the changes, or new features, of Gears of War 2.