Gears of Awww.....

#1 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6296 posts) -

Like you, I was an avid player of the original Gears of War. The adrenaline fueled campaign, the amazing multiplayer, the chainsaws....good times.

That being said Gears 2 is a dissapointment for me.

I went into the game with great expectations and came out blown away......in the campaign, that is. Basically any faults you had with the original Gears' campaign are fixed here. It's a perfect length, the action is great, and most importantly the game is very well paced. It never feels like it drags or anything. Sure the story doesn't answer every question is gives (hell I don't think it answers any!) but that's what to look forward to in the third installment.

But Steve, what about the multiplayer?!!!?!?!? My friends and I used to love that shit! Well, the multiplayer has been.......welll......I believe the term would be raped? Allow me to explain before you pop me with a boltok round to the head. Playing with friends is quite fun, but anything else just lacks the fun the original had. For starters, they replaced the server system from Gears 1 with a matchmaking + playlist system from.....oh yeah, Halo fucking 3. I really hated the multiplayer in Halo 3, mainly because you would always wind up with a shitty game type on a shitty map. And to add insult to injury, it takes FOREVER TO FIND A GAME!!! I sat for 20 minutes as the game struggled to find opponents for me, and I'm rank 1. The fact that I can't just find a game of execution and join it is just fucking stupid.

Another knock against the game's multiplayer is the inability to make matches completely private. Me and my friends have to appear offline in order to keep recent players and friends of friends from popping in and ruining the fun (we often play by different rules i.e. all sniper headshots). Can't you just kick the player? Yeah, but you'd have to end the game all together in order to do so. This proves to be more than a bit annoying for the player. All to often have I had to close games in order to kick people who can just rejoin without proper invitation.

Deep down the same game you fell in love with 2 years ago is there, and it's more than evident in campaign. The back bone of the game has been broken though, the multiplayer. The game keeps trying to be fucking Halo, and for some of you that might be great, but for people like me it just plain sucks.

Let's hope we get a patch epic.

#2 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Most of your complaints lie in the... problems with the new multiplayer connectivity options, and not anything about the game itself.

#3 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6296 posts) -

Uh, I only complained of connectivity once. And it isn't just me, there are a lot of people on these forums who are having similar problems. I'm complaining about how they tried to make it like Halo 3 which was a huge mistake when that game came out too.

#4 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

I wish I could empathize, but my buddies and I only play Horde. 

So, I'm totally happy.

#5 Posted by Milkman (16660 posts) -

Well, the reason it takes forever to get into games is probably because you are trying to get into a game without a full party. Right now, the servers are understandably swamped with tons of people and really, the only way I have found to get into a match quickly is a party of 5 people. I'm always have at least 5 of my friends online at once so this is rarely ever a problem. But, this will fix itself over time. For private games, that's just a lie. Making a game completely private is incredibly simple. As for the matchmaking, I direct you to this. And this makes it a hundred times easier to just get into a game with friends and just play. And I'll take that over getting to play my absolute favorite map and game type every single time. None of the game types or maps are that bad that I mind playing them anyway. Besides there is a few ways to lower the search anyway.

#6 Posted by DBoy (1997 posts) -

I don't have the problems you have in Multiplayer because I play only with friends.  I never play with people I don't know, unless they get invited by people on my friends list.  I really like the matchmaking component they put in there.  Yes, it is basically the Halo 3 matchmaking thing, but it still works great.

#7 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6296 posts) -
Milkman said:
"Well, the reason it takes forever to get into games is probably because you are trying to get into a game without a full party. Right now, the servers are understandably swamped with tons of people and really, the only way I have found to get into a match quickly is a party of 5 people. I'm always have at least 5 of my friends online at once so this is rarely ever a problem. But, this will fix itself over time. For private games, that's just a lie. Making a game completely private is incredibly simple. As for the matchmaking, I direct you to this. And this makes it a hundred times easier to just get into a game with friends and just play. And I'll take that over getting to play my absolute favorite map and game type every single time. None of the game types or maps are that bad that I mind playing them anyway. Besides there is a few ways to lower the search anyway."

That link was funny.

Anyways, I'm all for allowing friends to play ranked matches with me, but now when my only options are predetermnied playlists. I wish they took the CoD4 route and allowed you to party up and search for one gametype alone without having to deal with 12 year olds screaming VETO OMFG YOU FAG I BANGED UR MOM LAST NIGHT!

And I'd love it if you'd explain how to make a game completely private because it would help me out a lot.
#8 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

I totally agree. I'm pretty disappointed by the multi so far, I was even tempted to go back to playing Gears 1 MP, but I keep trying to like it for my purchase justification purposes.

What really pissed me off is that everyone just chainsaws one another, the shotgun is complete shit.

#9 Posted by Wolswor (201 posts) -
Jolly_Lolly said:
"I totally agree. I'm pretty disappointed by the multi so far, I was even tempted to go back to playing Gears 1 MP, but I keep trying to like it for my purchase justification purposes.

What really pissed me off is that everyone just chainsaws one another, the shotgun is complete shit."
Are you joking?  The shotgun is complete shit because it was completely overpowered shit in Gears 1, EVERYONE used it or the sniper or the boomshot, everything else sucked ass except in rare circumstances.  The chainsaws are easy as shit to avoid, stop trying to do the whole roll and insta kill crap with the shotgun from Gears 1 and you'll do fine.
#10 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

I have not had any of the problems your having bro.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.