Gears of War 2.. I just beat it...

Posted by klinkcow (258 posts) -

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#1 Posted by klinkcow (258 posts) -

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (15964 posts) -

Really? I thought it was totally badass. If there is any game to buy on 360, it's definitely that.

#3 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

From halfway through Chapter 4 onwards was kinda disappointing, despite great looking set pieces. Game was friggin awesome otherwise.

#4 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -

I dont know what the hell you expect out of a video game if you hated gears2 sp. Sp was great. The online is what sucks, but that dosent make it a bad game. It just makes it a good sp game and nothing else. 

#5 Posted by MKHavoc (1307 posts) -

Wow, too bad you didn't like it.  I thought it was one of the best 360 games of last year.  There was never a dull moment for me.

#6 Posted by Sarumarine (2251 posts) -

I don't know why, but the introduction of bots and horde mode makes Gears of War 2 so much better than the first game. That probably has to do with the fact that I get steamrolled online by pro snipers. So at least I can enjoy the multiplayer maps in some fashion with friends. As for campaign, they tried a little harder to make story mode include some story, some of it works some of it doesn't. It's not hard to see how the game could go one way or another on how people feel about it.

The ending was fun. Although, a lot of things are more fun than getting ground down by RAAM on a train in the first Gears of War.

#7 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Really? I found the whole game, aside from the last chapter, to be fantastic

#8 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I just finished a couple of days ago, and I thought the singleplayer was dead boring. It's my first 360 game, so I thought I'd really try to get every single achievement, but I can't find myself ever going to SP again. At least I could laugh at some of the dialogues, since they are so bad.

But the multiplayer is a lot of fun, specially Horde mode.

#9 Posted by klinkcow (258 posts) -

I'm honestly not sure why... maybe I broke the game up too much when I played it. Maybe I should have played through it in, like, one big sitting.

Either way, I just felt like towards the end I was simply "trying to finish it."

I did think Dom's story was nice, and the little hint after the credits was interesting. It just felt empty.

I have not touched Horde yet, I know I will enjoy that. If anyone wants to play my tag is: klinkcow

#10 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Maybe your just sleepy after taking in all that AWESOMENESS ;D
I actually loved the campaign, however.

#11 Posted by klinkcow (258 posts) -

haha, very possible!

#12 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Guys . . . you morons . . . he can't hear you. He's asleep!

#13 Posted by HistoryInRust (6321 posts) -
klinkcow said:
I did think Dom's story was nice, and the little hint after the credits was interesting. It just felt empty.
I liked how Dom is not worried in the slightest about his children.  Just his wife. 

The Gears 2 campaign was much more fun than the original's, but the writing itself still needed some polishing.  Serious, serious polishing.
#14 Posted by OneEyedNinja7 (797 posts) -

I felt sort of the same way. I was kind of like "So that's it?" A lot had to do with some of the cheesiness of the story and the occasionally lame gameplay. The game was kind of glitchy sometimes too. But the last "boss" was kind of a snoozefest. Also there was not enough character development (especially for Tai) to feel sympathetic.

Also this:

#15 Posted by HistoryInRust (6321 posts) -

The Giant Worm line kills me every time.

Also, "What do I look like, some fucking botanist?"

Yes, Marcus.  Yes, you do.

#16 Edited by vidiot (2737 posts) -
OneEyedNinja7 said:
"I felt sort of the same way. I was kind of like "So that's it?" A lot had to do with some of the cheesiness of the story and the occasionally lame gameplay. The game was kind of glitchy sometimes too. But the last "boss" was kind of a snoozefest. Also there was not enough character development (especially for Tai) to feel sympathetic.

Also this:

"
It's attempts at drama are pretty...eh...hit or miss.

My major beef was with Tai. I knew something wasn't done right when Marcus was lamenting over Tai, while I on the other hand was annoyed about the death of Carmine. It was almost like the bizarre roles of the joke character was reversed with Carmine sticking with you for about 1/3rd of the whole game and dies after being shot, dropped out of an helicopter, eaten, then eaten again by parasites.

Tai said a couple lines, got seperated, the proceded to blow his head off after being locked in a closet.

Oh, and he was like...mystical...or religous...or something... I'm not exactly sure the game again had the narrative subtlty of an atom bomb.

To be fair it defiantly tries more than it's predecessor in terms of giving context... toward the situation this time, making me actually care to a certain degree regarding some of the characters.

#17 Posted by klinkcow (258 posts) -

What does everyone think of ,arcus as the main character, in general?

#18 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Like all games, it's not meant for everyone. Personally, I could play through the campaign over and over without getting sick of it, but I really love Gears, so I'm bias. :P

@SIr_Rag:
His children have been dead for awhile, that's one of the main causes of Maria's depression, and why she disappeared.

#19 Posted by pweidman (2339 posts) -

The sp was so much better than the first game imo.  Still enjoying it playing it through insane w/a friend.  From the level design, to the emphasis on battle w/locust versus tedious boss stuff, to the increased length and more detailed story(still needs refinement for sure but they tried!), to the incredible art design/graphics and the addition of some decent puzzles to vary the gameplay, Gears 2 sp is a massive improvement in my book.  Mp not so much but Horde mode makes up for that by itself.

#20 Posted by HistoryInRust (6321 posts) -
brukaoru said:
@SIr_Rag:
His children have been dead for awhile, that's one of the main causes of Maria's depression, and why she disappeared.
This is true?

Huh.  Is this mentioned in the game, or is this an Aspho Fields thing?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.