Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Gears of War 2 Title Update 6 Coming

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64

It looks like there is going to be a new Title Update coming for this year and a half old game.  Most likely the last one for this game.  Here are the release notes:

[OFFICIAL] TU6 Release Notes 5/17/2010

Gears of War 2 Title Update 6 Detailed Release Notes

The following fixes and improvements are included in Title Update 6.

Improvements
    Title Update 6 makes these new improvements:

• Adds a new public multiplayer match option called Social Xbox LIVE (aka player matches), open to anyone who owns all downloadable maps (that is, All Fronts Collection). We’ll be having a promotion that will dramatically reduce the cost of the All Fronts Collection.
    • You can join Social Matches in progress and can quit any time without penalty, although players who quit a match early don’t receive earned experience (XP) from that match.
    • Social matchmaking lets your party join a match in progress. If a match is not found, your party hosts a new match, filling any empty player slots with bots.
    • Social Matches automatically cycle to the next map without further matchmaking.
    • Teams are rebalanced between matches based on XP level without splitting parties.
    • If you quit, your spot is taken by a bot until a new player joins the match. That new player can join while the match is in progress.
    • If you join a match in progress, you are assigned a team based on XP level and party size.
    • If you join a match in progress, you replace a bot at the earliest opportunity: at the first bot’s death for respawning game types (for example, Annex) and at round completion for Warzone, Execution, and Wingman.
    • Social leaderboards become part of the War Journal.
    • Renames Public Matches to Ranked Xbox LIVE Matches to differentiate these from Social Xbox LIVE Matches, and adds some improvements to these matches.
    • Improved host selection using bandwidth testing and previous hosting data has been added.
    • Before the match begins, teams are balanced based on XP without splitting parties.
    • Renames Private Matches to Custom Xbox LIVE Matches and makes these matches invite-only.
    • Adds the ability to join Horde sessions that are in progress.
    • In Social Horde, you can join a session in progress through matchmaking and you are able to continue your session from the last wave you failed without starting over.
    • In Ranked Horde, you can join a session in progress only through invites.
    • If you join a session in progress, at the end of the session you receive the score you achieved during the time you spent in the session.
    • Improves the precision of weapon selection using the D-pad.
    • Improves client-side hit detection for ballistic weapons.
    Exploit Fixes
    Title Update 6 fixes these possible exploits, where under certain circumstances:
    • Execution rules could be ignored when using certain weapon types.
    • On the Subway map, you could get outside of the playable environment by sliding into cover and rolling between a train car and the side of tracks.
    • On the Blood Drive map, you could get outside of the playable environment in various locations.
    • Players could grief other players on Submission, Annex, King of the Hill, and Guardian games by preventing the objective from being completed while racking up experience. Title Update 6 adds match time limits to each of these game types to prevent this practice.
    General Fixes
    Title Update 6 fixes these other issues as well:
    • An issue that could cause your profile to be overwritten, erasing XP level, and achievement progress.
    • An issue that could cause a campaign save slot to be overwritten if you previously chose to continue without saving and then signed in.
    Balancing
    Title Update 6 makes these balancing changes:
    • Changes the Gnasher Shotgun pellet pattern to increase hit consistency.
    • Changes the Guardian game type to select the leader based upon XP level (highest to lowest).

There are some majo ones like adding Social Matches aka Player matches.    It looks like they are also trying to balances teams as well so that's good.

I hope this fixes the multiplayer.  After putting in some time into it when the game first came out, I felt the multiplayer was kinda broken and unbalanced.

The new update is supposed to come out in about a week or so, I don't know the exact date.  If anyone knows the exact date, please tell me and I'll edit this post and through it in here.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By apathylad

It's pretty ridiculous how many balancing and online issues needed to be addressed with this game.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kishan6
    @Apathylad: its actually pretty balanced maybe it wasnt in the begining but now it is 
    and im jsut happy that they are still supporting it
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I've been playing Gears for the last month or so again, and it was pretty fun then. This update should make it even better, glad Epic's still adding new things.
    @JJOR64 said:

• Execution rules could be ignored when using certain weapon types.
    I wonder if this means you can't pop someone's head off with the pistol when they're downed anymore.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's cool and all, but I'm not really interested in GoW2 at this point, I really hope this is a sign of them doing multiplayer right the first time for GoW3 though.  These seem like some great changes.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By carlthenimrod

I might have to play some more Gears. Social Matches sound pretty sweet. Always bummed when I join a game only to have 3 people on my team quit. Then I am forced with the decision to quit and lose exp or wait it out, hoping the team in my next game doesn't pull the same shitty stunt.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Wow, they're dropping the price of All Fronts too? I thought even the 1600 points was a pretty good price.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Burns09

The horde updates are what I'm most excited for, because I'm always down for Horde.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.