Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Gears of War2 Doesn't Deserve GotY

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

There, I said it!

Reason: The game shows nothing new to the game industry or the shooter genre itself. Gears of War1 introduced a golden rule that many games, afterwords, have followed--Take cover or die. Because of this, Gears of War1 won most of the GotY awards of 2006.

GeoW2 does nothing more except add some pointless gameplay mechanics, guns, and tweaks. GeoW2 didn't try to be innovative like it's predecessor, it tried to please the fans of the previous game; which is fine! But really though, GeoW2 is overrated enough to an area where people are expecting a freaking GotY Nominee to be given to the game. It's just insane.

Personally, games like Braid, Dead Space, and Left 4 Dead deserve the GotY category because they do something new and nail the newity. CoD4, winner of 2007 Game of the Year from almost every single publiation, had an addictive ranking system; modern setting and weaponary; and perks. Sure, some of these things have been done before, but when Infinitywerd inserted the brisk, simplistic style of the CoD franchise; it intertwined so well that it became an innovative masterpiece. Even games today try to immitate CoD4's multiplayer, showing proof of how successful the game was.

Now I am not trying to change minds here. You have your own opinion as do I. It's just I personally think GeoW2 doesn't deserve GotY. It's not a bad game by no means. It's a phenomenal retake of Gears of War1 with an epic single-player campaign and an addictive multiplayer (and lets not forget Horde); but it just adds nothing new in the franchise, the genre, and the game industry in general. That, in itself, is simply why GeoW2 doesn't take the golden award.

That is all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There, I said it!

Reason: The game shows nothing new to the game industry or the shooter genre itself. Gears of War1 introduced a golden rule that many games, afterwords, have followed--Take cover or die. Because of this, Gears of War1 won most of the GotY awards of 2006.

GeoW2 does nothing more except add some pointless gameplay mechanics, guns, and tweaks. GeoW2 didn't try to be innovative like it's predecessor, it tried to please the fans of the previous game; which is fine! But really though, GeoW2 is overrated enough to an area where people are expecting a freaking GotY Nominee to be given to the game. It's just insane.

Personally, games like Braid, Dead Space, and Left 4 Dead deserve the GotY category because they do something new and nail the newity. CoD4, winner of 2007 Game of the Year from almost every single publiation, had an addictive ranking system; modern setting and weaponary; and perks. Sure, some of these things have been done before, but when Infinitywerd inserted the brisk, simplistic style of the CoD franchise; it intertwined so well that it became an innovative masterpiece. Even games today try to immitate CoD4's multiplayer, showing proof of how successful the game was.

Now I am not trying to change minds here. You have your own opinion as do I. It's just I personally think GeoW2 doesn't deserve GotY. It's not a bad game by no means. It's a phenomenal retake of Gears of War1 with an epic single-player campaign and an addictive multiplayer (and lets not forget Horde); but it just adds nothing new in the franchise, the genre, and the game industry in general. That, in itself, is simply why GeoW2 doesn't take the golden award.

That is all.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlackWaterCO

I agree with you, and im shocked you think L4D and Braid should be sinse your a PS3 fanboy (Blue username)

But a game dosent need to do anything new to win GOTY...IT NEEDS TO BE THE BEST. PERIOD.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

I don't think that Gears of War 2 necessarily deserves goty either but you seem to basing who does deserve it on innovation. I don't think that is necessarily the case either.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Discorsi

We all know that GTA 4 will get most of the GotY awards because most review sites have huge boners for GTA 4 and became absorbed by the hype.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

So some tacked on innovation is more important than something which is incredibly fun from start to finish?

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By brukaoru

I'm not much for "game of the year" awards anyway, just like I don't have a favorite game, I like all my favorite games equally.

That being said, I don't really think many games that have won game of the year awards in the past have been all that innovative.

siLVUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By siLVUR

Bratz Adventure will win GOTY.

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8  Edited By JamesF

I 100% agree with you.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Yea. It sucks, I was really looking forward to it.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By keyhunter

It's been 2 years since gears 1 came out, and no other game has been able to top even that. I'd say Gears 2 deserves it.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By gearhead

So you are saying because its good, but its not original, it should not get game of the year? . . .

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pibo47

TC. If your going to use the "original" argument, no game deserves GOTY.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pause422

I don't think it does either, but this thread is so pointless...and every one like it. The year isn't over for one, and for two, GOTY is really only an 'award' each individual should think for themselves what game they enjoyed the most, its split it between so many different magazines and gaming sites/shows that there is and won't be a single GOTY that people pick, there never is. These threads never make a single bit of sense, if you like another game better thats fine, but no one cares what you think GOTY will be, or what anyone thinks it will be for that matter.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By godzilla_sushi
    Tru3_Blu3 said:
    except add pointless gameplay mechanics
    What does that even mean?

Psh, gameplay mechanics.
    Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Psynapse

Dude you can ride Brumaks!!! Enough said, eleventy billion GOTY votes from me :)

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Shadow

the first Gears did nothing new.  Cover in games existed WAY before that, Gears only refined it in a really cool way.  Gears 2 is a SEQUEL to a game from 2 years ago on the same system.  Therefore, it's going to be like the game it's a SEQUEL to.  It just so happens that it improves on the game in every way, is insanely fun, looks amazing, has a good(ish) story, the sound quality is fantastic, and is just polished all around.  It, like other stuff, deserves to be game of the year if people think it's better than all the others.

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By DBoy

I 100% agree with you, but not for the same reasons you posted here.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GioVANNI

I agree.

frankthelizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frankthelizard

So what did those other games that you mentioned (Braid, Dead Space, and Left 4 Dead) do anything extremely innovative?

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Arjuna

I wouldn't say that Gears of War 1 was all that innovative.  I found it very similiar to Resident Evil 4, only more action orriented.  Even the Horde mode that every1 talks about was done in Resident Evil 4.  Gears of War 2 is awesome, but more so because it does everything so well, not necessarily because it does anything new.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BlastProcessing

No comment.

Oh wait, I just commented...or did I?

pill92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By pill92

Agreed!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's always nice to hear one of your favorite games got GOTY, but it's not at all important. I'm rooting for Metal Gear Solid 4 and Prince of Persia.

stevieq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stevieq

I agree. My GotY  thus far is still up in the air, though

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By dsplayer1010

It may not be innovative, but it's still an amazing game

mandeponium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mandeponium
    Pibo47 said:
    "TC. If your going to use the "original" argument, no game deserves GOTY."
    Except perhaps Braid.

But yes, originality should not be the determining factor.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#27  Edited By Vinchenzo

Wow, you guys don't have to agree. We all knew GoW2 wasn't going to be GotY. This may not make sense when I say the following, but it's not that kind of game. Plus, nobody said it would get GotY except fanboys of Gears.

AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By AutomaticSnake

Braid? left 4 dead game of the year? wtf? lol dead space is good but cant touch gears of war 2.

anyway, my GotY is MGS4.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Demilich

I'd give GOTY to MGS4. If not that, then Dead Space.

Arsenal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Arsenal86

I don't care about GOTY awards as they genrally pick the game with the most hype like Halo 3 got GOTY from some websites and magazines

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Captain_Fookup
    Dead Space has my vote, it's the best game that crap factory called Electronic Arts has put out in ten fucking years.
    RodneythePom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RodneythePom

I agree, my short list of games that shouldn't be GOTY are....

GTA 4
    MGS 4
    and
    GEOW2

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Aurelito
    Tru3_Blu3 said:
    "
    "
    As you definitely know, only things that Geow 1 had introduced to Action genre were Barricade system with blind firing, camera over the shoulders and  abusive language, but unfortunately Barricade system with blind firing was known since "Kill Switch", camera angle over the shoulders belongs to Resident Evil 4, and abusive language was massive in GTA series. so why the f*ck should you say something like that? Geow never had something new, either original one or the sequel.

P.s: i became a PS3 fanboy without owning one, such a shame.
    GweedyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GweedyJ
    mandeponium said:
    "Pibo47 said:
    Except perhaps Braid.

But yes, originality should not be the determining factor."

Braids not original. Its a freaking 2d side scrolling platformer. Which happens to have time control elements.
    Avatar image for daeth_on_demand
    Daeth_On_Demand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Daeth_On_Demand

Here my opinion:

Gears of War 2 probably doesn't deserve to win the Game of the Year award, or whatever, but not because it "lacks innovation".  Sure, it does lack innovation, but that doesn't mean that games that lack innovation should not win the award.  Even if a game is extremely polished and extremely entertaining, but it doesn't bring in any groundbreaking concepts, it should still be illegible for the Game of the Year award.  Innovation can only carry a game so far.

That doesn't mean that Gears 2 should win Game of the Year, though, because it honestly is quite the pain-in-the-butt game most of the time.  The single-player campaign was phenomenal, but the multiplayer is way too glitchy/laggy/annoying to deserve any awards.  While I still love playing Gears 2 multiplayer, all I can think about is that Epic should've spent the gap in between Gears 1 and Gears 2 and actually done something to make lag and matchmaking in matches be a bit better.  Honestly, I fancy myself a decent Gears 2 player, and when I have little to no lag I do very well (usually around 3:1 kills-to-deaths ratio), but when the game is giving me 1/2 second bullet lag (or much worse), I don't really know how I'm supposed to do well.

So my basic thought is: Gears 2 shouldn't win any Game of the Year awards, but not because it lacks innovation (which it does) - because its multi-player is screwy.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bjorno

yes it does

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

FTW!
    This is your GOTY people.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#38  Edited By Vinchenzo
    lilarchie232 said:
    "
    FTW!
    This is your GOTY people.
    "
    People need to stop working old jokes.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Milkman
    frankthelizard said:
    "So what did those other games that you mentioned (Braid, Dead Space, and Left 4 Dead) do anything extremely innovative?"
    ...Did Braid do anything extremely innovative? I'm going to pretend that question wasn't asked.

As for the topic, I don't know if I would give my personal game of the year to Gears of War 2 but I think it certainly deserves the GOTY awards that it will receive. A game doesn't need to be innovative to be good. This goes back to the recent story about Mirror's Edge and how if game critics were like movie critics it would be lauded by everyone as a visual masterpiece. The game industry isn't the movie industry. Innovation does not take first priority in the gaming industry. Sure, some games are great because they are innovative but other games don't need to be necessarily innovative to be great. As for Gears of War 2, the reason it deserves the awards it undoubtably will recieve is because it improves on the original in every single possible way. That seems pretty successful to me.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Milkman
    GweedyJ said:
    "mandeponium said:
    "Pibo47 said:
    Except perhaps Braid.

But yes, originality should not be the determining factor."

Braids not original. Its a freaking 2d side scrolling platformer. Which happens to have time control elements."
    If you think that's all that Braid is then you didn't play the game past the demo.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Player1

Just because it didn't innovate doesn't mean it isn't a serious contender. It just means EPIC was smart, and stuck to their original gameplay mechanics.

Your points seem valid, but a tad flawed. Are you saying that if Gears did something incredibly new like time reversal, then and only then it could be a contender?

If Gears 2 tried to do something so new like that it would have just led to pissed off fans.

Its a great game. Thats why its a contender. I think were over thinking the process right now.

NerdyNinja007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NerdyNinja007

GTA4 deserved every GOTY award it received.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Milkman
    @NerdyNinja007 said:
    " GTA4 deserved every GOTY award it received. "
    True. But why did you bump an 11 month old thread?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Diamond
    @NerdyNinja007 said:
    " GTA4 deserved every GOTY award it received. "

No Caption Provided
    NerdyNinja007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NerdyNinja007
    @Milkman:  Boredom, my friend, boredom.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By trophyhunter

oh god that came out this year? I thought that was last year

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.