Gearsin' 2.0

Posted by Wesker (352 posts) -

Lately I've been rocking the Gears of War 2 like mad. Weirdly it hasn't made me want to go back and play the original game, but I think that speaks world of Gears 2. First and foremost, there's the excellent multiplayer that is fleshed out in Gears 2. Oh wait, isn't the matchmaking system completely busted if you want to play with someone other than yourself? It was, but lately my friends and I have had no trouble with connecting to games at all. This was my main complaint when the game first came out, so it makes sense that I came back to it. I have to admit, I'm not as good at multiplayer as I used to be (or my measuring stick was always broken, I'm not sure) but it's still a fun time. 

My two favorite modes are Execution and Guardian. Execution is fun for some quick action, and seems to be the mode most suited to Gears. Guardian is a 'team leader' based mode that also works very well. I'm not a very good Guardian, but it's completely based around how well your team is at taking people out. As long as the enemy team leader is taken out before yours, it usually spells victory. 

Aside from multi player, ArtG and I have been going at the campaign with an insane run. Of course, we're probably cheating the system a bit (Art is playing on Casual, while I rock the insane) but it actually balances out well so that it's not too ridiculous. It has changed the way I play Gears a bit though. Staying back is sometimes the best move.  I think the word that best describes Gears 2's campaign is cinematic. Everything is paced like a high-speed action movie, and I love it. There's never too much time spent in one area as to become bored. I think after this is done, I will probably do a casual run myself to obtain all collectables.  

Oh, I also rented Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood thanks to my brother. Having beaten the first Call of Juarez, I wasn't sure what to expect of this second edition. Thankfully it is improved, but some design choices are very questionable (*ahem* the cover system) but I plan on finishing it before it must be returned.

#1 Posted by Wesker (352 posts) -

Lately I've been rocking the Gears of War 2 like mad. Weirdly it hasn't made me want to go back and play the original game, but I think that speaks world of Gears 2. First and foremost, there's the excellent multiplayer that is fleshed out in Gears 2. Oh wait, isn't the matchmaking system completely busted if you want to play with someone other than yourself? It was, but lately my friends and I have had no trouble with connecting to games at all. This was my main complaint when the game first came out, so it makes sense that I came back to it. I have to admit, I'm not as good at multiplayer as I used to be (or my measuring stick was always broken, I'm not sure) but it's still a fun time. 

My two favorite modes are Execution and Guardian. Execution is fun for some quick action, and seems to be the mode most suited to Gears. Guardian is a 'team leader' based mode that also works very well. I'm not a very good Guardian, but it's completely based around how well your team is at taking people out. As long as the enemy team leader is taken out before yours, it usually spells victory. 

Aside from multi player, ArtG and I have been going at the campaign with an insane run. Of course, we're probably cheating the system a bit (Art is playing on Casual, while I rock the insane) but it actually balances out well so that it's not too ridiculous. It has changed the way I play Gears a bit though. Staying back is sometimes the best move.  I think the word that best describes Gears 2's campaign is cinematic. Everything is paced like a high-speed action movie, and I love it. There's never too much time spent in one area as to become bored. I think after this is done, I will probably do a casual run myself to obtain all collectables.  

Oh, I also rented Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood thanks to my brother. Having beaten the first Call of Juarez, I wasn't sure what to expect of this second edition. Thankfully it is improved, but some design choices are very questionable (*ahem* the cover system) but I plan on finishing it before it must be returned.

#2 Posted by Darro (635 posts) -

I can safely say that I done the same thing when I done Insane in Gears 2.  I did some parts of Insane by myself but played with someone else who did Casual and does make things easier for you.

I am actually glad to see yourself, Art and others getting back into Gears like myself since its a very fun game to play on MP and while some things in the game I feel are still random, its still a kick-ass experience nonetheless.

#3 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

Execution is a terrible excuse for a gametype. It's just a safety net for shotgun whores. I did like guardian a lot though, it was very tactical. You could either have your guardian take active part in fighting and have an extra gun to point but risk his life OR you could keep him somewhere quiet and safe at the back and be short handed.

#4 Posted by ArtG (185 posts) -

Dead wrong on Call of Juarez's cover system. DEAD WRONG.

#5 Posted by DBoy (1997 posts) -

Nobody cars about Garz OKAY?

#6 Posted by EightBitWarrior (592 posts) -

Glad to see you've found a game to nestle yourself into lately. The matchmaking actually working is a nice touch :P

#7 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -
@crunchUK said:
" Execution is a terrible excuse for a gametype. It's just a safety net for shotgun whores. I did like guardian a lot though, it was very tactical. You could either have your guardian take active part in fighting and have an extra gun to point but risk his life OR you could keep him somewhere quiet and safe at the back and be short handed. "
The entire game is full of shotgun whores. Every game mode is the same. Game starts, equip shotgun. Run forward, see enemy, punch enemy, shoot enemy, wash, rinse, repeat.
#8 Posted by Sneaky_Gopher (82 posts) -

Gears to me has always been a single player game. You gonna be getting the Dark Corners add on?

#9 Posted by AllThatBacon (570 posts) -

Garz? :(

MUGS?? :(

#10 Posted by Discorsi (1390 posts) -

i see this thread is filled with gears 2 aficionados...

#11 Posted by bighed03 (5 posts) -

After TU4 Gears 2 has become a much less frustrating experience. I spent alot of time getting the level 50 achievement and now after playing it so much just for that, I'm kind of addicted. Would definitely recommend giving Gears 2 mp a try again, but be warned, there are still no dedicated servers.

#12 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

I loved the single player but all my online experiences (excluding horde) have been a lag filled mess. The only time I get to play a decent match is when the match-making system magically pairs me with Australian players. This happens very, very rarely so I gave up. 

Used to play a lot of Gears of War 1 MP back when it was first released though :D

#13 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1485 posts) -

I really do hate it when everyone says that Gears MP is nothing more than constant shotguns. Almost everytime I've seen it, a good hammerburst beats out a good shotty.
 ...That and I'm garbage with the shotgun.

#14 Posted by shiptoncraig (149 posts) -

It took some time but I think Gears 2 eventually surpassed the original, which I only realised after going back to play Gears 1 online.  Getting stuck on cover, the SSHD architecture and non-stop shotgunning all make the game feel somewhat archaic.  Used to play it religiously, but now I just stick with the slightly more buggy sequel.

#15 Posted by LiquidPrince (16176 posts) -
@Sneaky_Gopher said:
" Gears to me has always been a single player game. You gonna be getting the Dark Corners add on? "
Yeah I enjoy the single player more the then the multiplayer.
#16 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

the singleplayer was a lot of fun  
the multiplayer was also fun but i hated the fact how nobody can kill each other at point blank range with a shotgun, cus of the third person design

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.