Gow 2 MP wtf

#1 Posted by rerty (105 posts) -

Two piece, chainsaw,smoke grenade.....all terribly implemented in the online component of GoW 2. There better be a fucking patch... I understand they wanted to make the game more than just shotgun fights but jesus. Firing from the hip with the shotgun is next to useless and for some reason EPIC decided to take out stuns from gunfire so any jerkoff with a Lancer can hold b and chainsaw you without consequence making close range fighting a piss poor aspect of the game(stuns may occur randomly but will only stun you for around .5 seconds). On top of that they use the truskill ranking system which grades performance on a bell curve. Example... Tonysuckballs with a kill/death of 1.0 or lower can have a high rank just because he plays with people who win alot ; basically equivalent to being powerleveled in a mmo. Just felt a need to vent because they really gave die hard gow fans the shaft on this one and  wanted to get other Gow1 players takes on this shit  because I know i'm not the only one bothered by this.

#2 Edited by Prime20 (168 posts) -

Really......this is still happening?

Ok what "Fucking patch" do you expect them to make?
How are you going to "patch" Two piecing?
How are you going to "patch" chainsawing?
How the fuck are you going to "patch" smoke grenades?

Firing from the hip is useless because, guess what...YOUR FIRING FROM THE HIP!
Even if you've never fired a gun in your life youd have to be prety thick not to realize that not aiming down the iron sites with any weapon is goign to decrease accuracy. 

Two piecing is cheap, i will give you that. But if your stupid enough to let someone get close enough to you where they can smack you, then you deserve it. Thats why they put in the stopping power.
Iam guessing "Hey theres this guy running towards me, maybe i should lancer him down?" is a thought that never crossed your mind.

As far as the chainsaw goes its cheap because its a one hit kill, and you do need to shoot someone point blank with the shot gun and hope you dont miss to make sure they drop the saw completely. But nobody's bending your arm and telling you "STAND HERE, SHOOT GUY CHARGING WITH LANCER" have you tried running away from the spinning blades.

Better yet have you tried not switching to your shotgun, fireing off a few shots then gettting an active and tryign to kick ass like in Gears 1? Cause if you would maybe you'd stop getting your ass kicked and would have to whine about how "Epic fucked up".

Geow2 is how epic wanted their game, but once people realized you could just run and gun with the gnasher  in part 1everything changed. So they brought the focus back to using more than the gnasher, which was a smart move. Now all of your starting weapons are useful and not just place holders.

They didn't ruin this for hardcore Gears 1 fans, i know because i am one. What they did however do is ruin it for the idiots that ruined the first game and turned it into a shotgun battle game. Either adapt and get use to the new rules, or fuck off and go play gears 1 with whoever you can find in a 3rd world country to play it with.
But dont come to websites complaining about shit especially month old shit that everyone complained about in early November and everyone's gotten over by now. And if they havent then they've fucked off called gears ruined and cried themselves to sleep.
[/end rant]

#3 Posted by geekpimpfx (54 posts) -

On another note, why is matchmaking still so shitty?  When I have a full team it shouldn't take 20 mins to match me against another team, fuckin' ridiculous!

#4 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

lmao aren't you the same person who called the trueskill system "terrible"? i suppose you like the nub friendly system of cod 4 and vegas XD

#5 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

There is almost nothing they can do, they can't patch the smoke grenade (unless you believe they should remove it). When it comes to chainsawing, yeah, it is still pretty spotty when it comes to if it actually hits you before you shoot them.

#6 Posted by hungrynun (444 posts) -

I completely agree with Prime20's post.

Play smart or die.

#7 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

Got enough abreviations in the title there?  I guess you didn't want to waste time on a title before getting straight to your pointless and slaggering rant.

OMG L2P ASAP SOB  BRBAFK2P.

#8 Posted by William (441 posts) -

All of those are easily avoidable.

#9 Posted by Snail (8595 posts) -

Lol, your title is made only of abreviations!

#10 Posted by rerty (105 posts) -

Well I guess I'm a fucking moron and never thought of those overly obvious answers.... thanks for the criticism but the "adapt or die" excuse is terrible. I play Gears of War for the intense close range fighting not the boring lancer/cover method. By patching the smoke grenade I meant I thought  they should just stun you not knock you on your ass making certain maps easy as fuck to camp. The reason I complain about the two piece is because in the first game you at least had time to shoot after the melee, but for some reason they decided to remove that making the two piece the most effective/cheap aspect of the game.  When you are in a shotgun fight you are always close enough for the two piece ,but in the last game atleast you could pop a shot off and kill the guy. As to the firing from the hip wouldn't be accurate argument ; maybe it wouldn't but the bullets wouldn't shoot straight to the fucking ground. Another flaw in that argument is that nearly everything in this game is not realistic. If a guy can chainsaw someone in a second flat I think he could shoot from the hip somewhat accurately. I did not intend to "annoy" you I guess I just don't troll forums as much as you do defending a point that is easy to defend. "They made the game the way they wanted to" .. really ? that's a fucking shocker I thought they made it the way they didn't want to. The only reason I'm bitching about this is because I like the game I really do, but I think it would be great if they made a few changes.

#11 Posted by hungrynun (444 posts) -

Hey my best weapon to use would probably be the shotgun but you got to know when to back off from a fight and use another weapon.

This "close range fighting" that you talk about is always counter balanced with the "boring lancer/cover method."

I get those kills with the shotgun from whatever weapon I'm up against it doesn't really play a big role. Playing smart and choosing your battles instead of going in their face will probably get you closer to the enemy and even get some gibbing in.

And this "adapt or die" argument is totally valid. If you don't feel like playing with the new changes Gears2 has to offer then you should go back and be a purist, play Gears1.

#12 Posted by Prime20 (168 posts) -
rerty said:
"Well I guess I'm a fucking moron and never thought of those overly obvious answers.... thanks for the criticism but the "adapt or die" excuse is terrible. I play Gears of War for the intense close range fighting not the boring lancer/cover method. By patching the smoke grenade I meant I thought  they should just stun you not knock you on your ass making certain maps easy as fuck to camp. The reason I complain about the two piece is because in the first game you at least had time to shoot after the melee, but for some reason they decided to remove that making the two piece the most effective/cheap aspect of the game.  When you are in a shotgun fight you are always close enough for the two piece ,but in the last game atleast you could pop a shot off and kill the guy. As to the firing from the hip wouldn't be accurate argument ; maybe it wouldn't but the bullets wouldn't shoot straight to the fucking ground. Another flaw in that argument is that nearly everything in this game is not realistic. If a guy can chainsaw someone in a second flat I think he could shoot from the hip somewhat accurately. I did not intend to "annoy" you I guess I just don't troll forums as much as you do defending a point that is easy to defend. "They made the game the way they wanted to" .. really ? that's a fucking shocker I thought they made it the way they didn't want to. The only reason I'm bitching about this is because I like the game I really do, but I think it would be great if they made a few changes."
yes, yes you are a Fucking Moron. A BIG FUCKING MORON!

How the fuck do you play a game that whole design was based around using cover and firing over said cover. That....hell i dont even have a metaphor for how stupid that sounds.

the smoke grenades are annoying but once again learn to adapt, hundreds of species of animals have learned to do it to survive, iam pretty sure dodging smoke grenades isnt that high up on the list of hard things to do. And as much as you dont want ot hear it guess what Camping is a tatic, annoyign and only as stupid as the people who constantly rush the camp but still a tatic. if you cant slow down for a second and check the walls for smoke grenades, you deserve to be blown to shit.

the bullets dont shoot to the ground, maybe it does for you because you arnt aiming properly, but hell even when i shoot from the hip (as innacurate as it may be) it shoots forward. the bullet spread patter has changed tho, maybe thats what your not used to but it does shoot forward. As long as you know what the hell your doing.

And finally as far as me trollin and defending, its because iam sick of people going "THINGS CHANGED!! IAM MAD!!" it fuckin drives me insane how many times i hear that shit. FUCKING GET OVER IT. If they made the changes you recommended guess what, it will be Gears 1.

There are 2 ways to point out problesm with a game. 1) Make a sane post and point out your concerns and possibly provide a way to remedy the sitiuation. or 2) Make one giant wall of words and moan like a cankerous whore as a means of gaining attention.
give you 3 guesses as to which way you went.
#13 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -
Prime20 said:
"rerty said:
"Well I guess I'm a fucking moron and never thought of those overly obvious answers.... thanks for the criticism but the "adapt or die" excuse is terrible. I play Gears of War for the intense close range fighting not the boring lancer/cover method. By patching the smoke grenade I meant I thought  they should just stun you not knock you on your ass making certain maps easy as fuck to camp. The reason I complain about the two piece is because in the first game you at least had time to shoot after the melee, but for some reason they decided to remove that making the two piece the most effective/cheap aspect of the game.  When you are in a shotgun fight you are always close enough for the two piece ,but in the last game atleast you could pop a shot off and kill the guy. As to the firing from the hip wouldn't be accurate argument ; maybe it wouldn't but the bullets wouldn't shoot straight to the fucking ground. Another flaw in that argument is that nearly everything in this game is not realistic. If a guy can chainsaw someone in a second flat I think he could shoot from the hip somewhat accurately. I did not intend to "annoy" you I guess I just don't troll forums as much as you do defending a point that is easy to defend. "They made the game the way they wanted to" .. really ? that's a fucking shocker I thought they made it the way they didn't want to. The only reason I'm bitching about this is because I like the game I really do, but I think it would be great if they made a few changes."
yes, yes you are a Fucking Moron. A BIG FUCKING MORON!

How the fuck do you play a game that whole design was based around using cover and firing over said cover. That....hell i dont even have a metaphor for how stupid that sounds.

the smoke grenades are annoying but once again learn to adapt, hundreds of species of animals have learned to do it to survive, iam pretty sure dodging smoke grenades isnt that high up on the list of hard things to do. And as much as you dont want ot hear it guess what Camping is a tatic, annoyign and only as stupid as the people who constantly rush the camp but still a tatic. if you cant slow down for a second and check the walls for smoke grenades, you deserve to be blown to shit.

the bullets dont shoot to the ground, maybe it does for you because you arnt aiming properly, but hell even when i shoot from the hip (as innacurate as it may be) it shoots forward. the bullet spread patter has changed tho, maybe thats what your not used to but it does shoot forward. As long as you know what the hell your doing.

And finally as far as me trollin and defending, its because iam sick of people going "THINGS CHANGED!! IAM MAD!!" it fuckin drives me insane how many times i hear that shit. FUCKING GET OVER IT. If they made the changes you recommended guess what, it will be Gears 1.

There are 2 ways to point out problesm with a game. 1) Make a sane post and point out your concerns and possibly provide a way to remedy the sitiuation. or 2) Make one giant wall of words and moan like a cankerous whore as a means of gaining attention.
give you 3 guesses as to which way you went."
If your so sick of hearing things like this, quit reading/posting on forums. To the TC I agree with some of your points but this is GEARS love it or leave it. Its crazy to me how this community is a bunch of stuck up faggots. Flame, flame flame........... seems like some of you people dont need to be on forums.
#14 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I agree with the TC.  I thought I'd check on the forums to find out if there has been any real patch for the game... guess not.  I think the game's campaign mode is fantastic and horde mode is great fun, but the competitive multiplayer is ruined for me.  I don't know what else I can call it, it's just unplayable for me.  Matchmaking that takes forever and throws you around giving you no control over anything pisses me off.  Unstoppable chainsaws, smoke grenades, and unreliable shotguns really frustrates me.  Gears 1 multiplayer was tacked on, it was so simple.  You pick the gametype then hop in a server with a good connection and you could have fun there all day and meet new people.  It worked.  Now I guess Epic looked at games like Halo and Call of Duty with their matchmaking, and thought that was the way to go.  It's like they tried too hard, got carried away.  It feels like the devs never played Gears 1 multiplayer, never understood what made it fun, and changed it.  If we never had Gears 1, and all we had was the Gears 2 multiplayer experience to judge, I would say Gears of War was never meant to be a multiplayer game.  After about a week of trying to find the fun in multiplayer, I just put the game away, as did my brother, and my friends.  I'm extremely disappointed because before Gears 2 came out, there was no doubt in my mind that it would become my new multiplayer game to play, and it turned out to be just a plain awful experience.

#15 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -
DOUBLESHOCK said:
Long Post Not Quoted for Readability's sake.
I pretty much agree.  I definitely see the arguments of the Original Poster, but I understand why some of the changes were made.  Clearly, it seems Epic wanted to reemphasize the cover/methodical/flanking system they set out to implement in the first game.  I think twitch players do find the constant need to seek cover taxing, though, and so the Shotgun Ballet so often utilized in the first game is sorely missed by players who relied on it heavily.

With things the way they are now, there is a decided increase in the necessity of using your teammates for everything.  And it's an implied necessity, which I kind of like.  It's not like Army of Two where there is no subtlety whatsoever. 

That said, the Shotgun does feel a lot flakier now than it ever did in the original.  It still cleans clocks if you nail a clean shot to an open, immobile target, but at any significant distance, the Lancer is much more effective (again, a pretty welcome change from the first game). 

What breaks my heart about Gears 2 is the inconsistency between the Campaign and the Multiplayer.  As Doubleshock said, the simplicity of the original's multiplayer, and the relaxed vibe one felt in unranked player matches, really worked in the game's favor; in short the controls simply aren't tight enough to play competitively.  Things are too wacky, and I'm surprised some of the press really hasn't come down on the spotty coding, which seems to interrupt the game, both in the menus and in actual playtime, more than I remember happening in the original. 

Again, the inconsistency between Campaign and Multiplayer shows a serious, I don't know, immaturity in the design team?  Is that a good way to say it?  It's clear that if they wanted to slow down the multiplayer, that thought didn't cross their mind in respect to the Campaign, because if anything, it's more frenetic.  There's a discrepancy of focus.  And because the Campaign plays really well, and Horde plays even better, it's all the more disheartening that the multiplayer feels so off.  One thing is certain: Gears of War 2 will not be in my 360's disc tray for as much time as the first game was. 

Also, can we stop with the name calling?  It's pretty fucking irritating. 
#16 Posted by METALM1LITIA91 (259 posts) -
rerty said:
"Two piece, chainsaw,smoke grenade.....all terribly implemented in the online component of GoW 2. There better be a fucking patch... I understand they wanted to make the game more than just shotgun fights but jesus. Firing from the hip with the shotgun is next to useless and for some reason EPIC decided to take out stuns from gunfire so any jerkoff with a Lancer can hold b and chainsaw you without consequence making close range fighting a piss poor aspect of the game(stuns may occur randomly but will only stun you for around .5 seconds). On top of that they use the truskill ranking system which grades performance on a bell curve. Example... Tonysuckballs with a kill/death of 1.0 or lower can have a high rank just because he plays with people who win alot ; basically equivalent to being powerleveled in a mmo. Just felt a need to vent because they really gave die hard gow fans the shaft on this one and  wanted to get other Gow1 players takes on this shit  because I know i'm not the only one bothered by this."
I'm really tired of people who suck at GoW2 complaining about the game. The reason most of this was implemented was because they didn't want it to be a shotgun battle. Therefore old tactics won't work. You can't just run up with shotty and pop them anymore. You have to be MORE TACTICAL.  You have to know that lancer lowering sucks (i agree with you there) but you still just have to adjust and learn to deal with it. Why not just pop him with the shotty when he comes in with chainsaw??? I know shotty go toned down but that is still lethal. I think the changes were very affective and accomplished epics goal of making a better XBL game.
#17 Posted by rerty (105 posts) -
METALM1LITIA91 said:
"rerty said:
"Two piece, chainsaw,smoke grenade.....all terribly implemented in the online component of GoW 2. There better be a fucking patch... I understand they wanted to make the game more than just shotgun fights but jesus. Firing from the hip with the shotgun is next to useless and for some reason EPIC decided to take out stuns from gunfire so any jerkoff with a Lancer can hold b and chainsaw you without consequence making close range fighting a piss poor aspect of the game(stuns may occur randomly but will only stun you for around .5 seconds). On top of that they use the truskill ranking system which grades performance on a bell curve. Example... Tonysuckballs with a kill/death of 1.0 or lower can have a high rank just because he plays with people who win alot ; basically equivalent to being powerleveled in a mmo. Just felt a need to vent because they really gave die hard gow fans the shaft on this one and  wanted to get other Gow1 players takes on this shit  because I know i'm not the only one bothered by this."
I'm really tired of people who suck at GoW2 complaining about the game. The reason most of this was implemented was because they didn't want it to be a shotgun battle. Therefore old tactics won't work. You can't just run up with shotty and pop them anymore. You have to be MORE TACTICAL.  You have to know that lancer lowering sucks (i agree with you there) but you still just have to adjust and learn to deal with it. Why not just pop him with the shotty when he comes in with chainsaw??? I know shotty go toned down but that is still lethal. I think the changes were very affective and accomplished epics goal of making a better XBL game."
basically what I mean is if you were great at gow1 you will suck at gow2 unless you spend countess hours unlearning gow1 tactics and learning to play a completely new game. At this rate gears 2 fans will be bitching about gears 3 etc. They changed it too much for the casual players who bitched about the gears 1 mp. Shooting an automatic weapon in this game is far to easy to be so effective.  I love the new heavy weapons and the flamethrower, they are all welcome additions to the multiplayer in my eyes. The stopping power of the shotgun is near non-existent and the lancer can stop you in your tracks with three bullets ; i just find it to be unacceptable. Please if you have nothing constructive to add or cannot argue with me reasonably don't bother posting.
#18 Edited by rerty (105 posts) -
METALM1LITIA91 said:
"rerty said:
I'm really tired of people who suck at GoW2 complaining about the game. The reason most of this was implemented was because they didn't want it to be a shotgun battle. Therefore old tactics won't work. You can't just run up with shotty and pop them anymore. You have to be MORE TACTICAL.  You have to know that lancer lowering sucks (i agree with you there) but you still just have to adjust and learn to deal with it. Why not just pop him with the shotty when he comes in with chainsaw??? I know shotty go toned down but that is still lethal. I think the changes were very affective and accomplished epics goal of making a better XBL game."
basically what I mean is if you were great at gow1 you will suck at gow2 unless you spend countless hours unlearning gow1 tactics and learning to play a completely new game. At this rate gears 2 fans will be bitching about gears 3 etc. They changed it too much for the casual players who bitched about the gears 1 mp. Shooting an automatic weapon in this game is far too easy to be so effective.  I love the new heavy weapons and the flamethrower, they are all welcome additions to the multiplayer in my eyes. The stopping power of the shotgun is near non-existent and the lancer can stop you in your tracks with three bullets ; i just find it to be unacceptable. Please if you have nothing constructive to add or cannot argue with me reasonably don't bother posting.
#19 Posted by Mats (130 posts) -

Accept how the game plays. If u don't like it go play something else. Shouldn't be that hard really.

#20 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

wowzor you mean they turned it from a glitching and shotgun fest into a tacical team game???? how awful

#21 Edited by JJR (12 posts) -

I like to know why when a guy is rushing me with his chainsaw revved and i shoot him in the face i still get chainsawed. They didn't fix the host advantage, the host is just random.

#22 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -

I don't get it. You use the Lancer with cover tactically in singleplayer, yet try shotgun rushing in multiplayer and wonder why you feel like you're playing against the grain. Epic wants its singleplayer strategies to transfer well into multiplayer. Think about it: would Epic deliberately release a game that they thought would piss off Gears 1 fans?

#23 Posted by Vecta (167 posts) -
DOUBLESHOCK said:
 Unstoppable chainsaws, smoke grenades, and unreliable shotguns really frustrates me. 
To lower the chainsaw it requires over half of the pellets from a shotgun shell to hit the target. To kill someone in one hit with the shotgun it requires all the pellets to hit the target. This is hardly unreliable, what is unreliable is your aiming as the pellets exit the gun in the exactly same position every single shot. Fill up the reticle with an enemy body and its a one shot kill, but if even one corner is empty then the shell that goes in the corner will miss and you wont kill the target.

Shoot the wall a few times to see the pattern that the pellets make. It never changes.
#24 Posted by Milkman (16677 posts) -
geekpimpfx said:
"On another note, why is matchmaking still so shitty?  When I have a full team it shouldn't take 20 mins to match me against another team, fuckin' ridiculous!"
It doesn't.
#25 Posted by DarkEnzanArikado (189 posts) -
Milkman said:
"geekpimpfx said:
"On another note, why is matchmaking still so shitty?  When I have a full team it shouldn't take 20 mins to match me against another team, fuckin' ridiculous!"
It doesn't."
Lol, yeah it doesn't takes about a minute for me. Open up some ports and stuff on your router dude.
#26 Posted by lilarchie232 (728 posts) -

I agree all I ever heard about was how great Gears Multi-player was and I am not impressed at all.  The on-line feels buggy and slow to me, good thing the campaign ruled.

#27 Posted by Wuffi (246 posts) -

the online sucks ass now shitty matchmaking and laggy as shit

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.