Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

GOW2 Combustible Map Pack Review (Pics)

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

I am a big Gears Of War fan.

If I was in prison with Marcus Fenix... well... He'd better not drop the soap, that's all I'm saying.

So when I heard there was a new Gears 2 map pack coming out TODAY (Spike TV WTF?!?) I immediately dropped 800 Microsoft points (which I can't really afford) on the Combustible Map Pack.

Having played through all the maps I figured you guys would want to know the beef. So here it is.

THE BEEF

There are 3 new maps up for grabs. Priced at 800 points that's about £2.25 per map. I don't know or care how many dollars that is. The maps are all of a high quality, have been designed well, and seem to download and run fine in multiplayer.

Flood

Flood is an island of broken buildings surrounded by imulsion. The imulsion will rise and fall like a tide, blocking off sections of the map and isolating different weapons. Whilst it is possible to run through the imulsion it burns away health pretty fast. There is no real symmetry to the map and it can sometimes feel like trying to navigate a maze.

Fuel Station

Fuel station looks like it was purpose built for Horde mode. The station building lies in the center of the map and its possible to circle the entire building at ground level. There are a number of cars and trucks that can be exploded - and the petrol pumps themselves of course. Some weapons are positioned near exploding vehicles, making it possible to ambush enemies. Its possible to access the roof of the Station via some stairs at the back of the building. There is also a garage door which can be shut via a button on the inside. Lastly there is an elevator which can carry people from the ground to the roof in a wire cage. There is no cover whilst in the lift so it leaves you fairly exposed for a few seconds. Playing horde, the most terrifying thing ever is sitting up on the roof and watching a boomer appear out of that elevator.

Gold Rush

This is easily my favourite map in the pack. The map is essentially a symmetrical narrow platform with two levels - up and down. The upper lip can shoot down on the lower - sort of like Clocktower from Gears Of War 1. There is a sniper placed on the higher level and a mortar placed on the lower - which makes sense. I love the aesthetic of this map, its a lighter shade than the gloomy Flood level and it looks awesome and really well balanced.

SO there you have it. I really like these new maps and I have no regrets in paying for them. I hope this was helpful to your decision.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

If I was in prison with Marcus Fenix... well... He'd better not drop the soap, that's all I'm saying.

So when I heard there was a new Gears 2 map pack coming out TODAY (Spike TV WTF?!?) I immediately dropped 800 Microsoft points (which I can't really afford) on the Combustible Map Pack.

Having played through all the maps I figured you guys would want to know the beef. So here it is.

THE BEEF

There are 3 new maps up for grabs. Priced at 800 points that's about £2.25 per map. I don't know or care how many dollars that is. The maps are all of a high quality, have been designed well, and seem to download and run fine in multiplayer.

Flood

Flood is an island of broken buildings surrounded by imulsion. The imulsion will rise and fall like a tide, blocking off sections of the map and isolating different weapons. Whilst it is possible to run through the imulsion it burns away health pretty fast. There is no real symmetry to the map and it can sometimes feel like trying to navigate a maze.

Fuel Station

Fuel station looks like it was purpose built for Horde mode. The station building lies in the center of the map and its possible to circle the entire building at ground level. There are a number of cars and trucks that can be exploded - and the petrol pumps themselves of course. Some weapons are positioned near exploding vehicles, making it possible to ambush enemies. Its possible to access the roof of the Station via some stairs at the back of the building. There is also a garage door which can be shut via a button on the inside. Lastly there is an elevator which can carry people from the ground to the roof in a wire cage. There is no cover whilst in the lift so it leaves you fairly exposed for a few seconds. Playing horde, the most terrifying thing ever is sitting up on the roof and watching a boomer appear out of that elevator.

Gold Rush

This is easily my favourite map in the pack. The map is essentially a symmetrical narrow platform with two levels - up and down. The upper lip can shoot down on the lower - sort of like Clocktower from Gears Of War 1. There is a sniper placed on the higher level and a mortar placed on the lower - which makes sense. I love the aesthetic of this map, its a lighter shade than the gloomy Flood level and it looks awesome and really well balanced.

SO there you have it. I really like these new maps and I have no regrets in paying for them. I hope this was helpful to your decision.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By weltal

800 points? Damn, I guess I'll be waiting till they lower the price or I can afford it. At least I can gaze longingly at the pictures now though. Thanks.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#3  Edited By dudacles

Great info. Thanks for writing this up.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By brukaoru

First line of blog = LOL.

Thanks for the photos and review, Sweep! Probably will buy these next time I play Gears 2 multi-player.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Oni

I would buy this if I was way into GoW2 multi. But I'm not :(

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By RHCPfan24
    Sweep said:
    "

"
    LOL! Well, glad you posted this Sweep because I have had my doubts but I am glad this is still a good pack. Might buy it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Whoa, wait, what? 

I'm sorry, I was under the impression Fuel Station was "Fuel Depot" from the first Gears of War.  I guess I was wrong?

John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By John

Yeah, I am part of the people who will wait till it's cheaper. :D

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Rowr

I will likely buy, and hardly use. :|

F1nalboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By F1nalboss

Dude I completely agree we should have a COG gangbang no homo but yeah I'd drop the 800 points for this in a second

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By DBoy

I'll wait until they're free.  Gears 2's MP isn't a big seller for me anyway.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By albedos_shadow

I downloaded these this morning on a whim, but haven't tried them out yet. Looks like I need to get on it.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Maps that should have been on the disk.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rowr

Sweep, this is relevant to your interests.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.