Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Heart the Horde

Joseppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Edited By Joseppie

I was originally thinking about writing a review for Gears 2. Then I came to my senses, realized I wouldn't have anything particularly novel to say on the subject, and decided the short version was the better idea. It's one damn fine video game. The action is tighter than ever, the visuals are crisper than ever (minus the occasional texture pop-in), and the story is more...existent than ever. If you have even an inkling of interest in the game, pick it up. You'll be doing yourself a favor. If you already bought it (and you probably already did), then I'm just wasting my time.

Not an uncommon sight
    Not an uncommon sight
    But more than any other part of it, Horde is what makes the game for me. I'm always attracted to any kind of cooperative modes in games, instead of the competitive variety. Maybe I'm more attracted to helping my fellow man than putting a chainsaw to his face....wait, no, that ain't it. I guess what really draws me to playing with others is that I find success much more fulfilling. Sure, I like to see my name on top of the leaderboard as much as the next guy, but it just can't compare to the feeling of sprinting across the map to save your buddy while you're under fire from a couple snipers, a boomer, and a dude with a minigun. Horde offers up plenty of these situations, and then some. The co-op campaign in Gears has been one of the best around since the first iteration and Horde cleverly builds on it. Teamwork goes from being helpful to essential, which honestly sounds like a bad idea initially given Xbox Live's player population, but it works out remarkably well. If there's no chance to do well without working together, people tend to get the point quickly.

Horde also focuses on one of Gears' primary gameplay facets by accuentuating the need to dig in and take cover. It's reminiscent of missions in RTS games that require the player to quickly build up a defense and prepare for the onslaught that is about to be all up in your ass. It really gives the feeling that you're a part of a squad under siege, often fighting just to squeak by, especially on the higher waves. Combine that with the overall atmosphere of a firefight that Gears normally creates, and you got yourself one freakin' intense shootathon.

You know, done typing, I'm just going to go play some more of it. Hit me up if you feel like shooting some computer dudes.

Or we could shoot human dudes too. Either way, I'm shooting something.
    Joseppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Joseppie

I was originally thinking about writing a review for Gears 2. Then I came to my senses, realized I wouldn't have anything particularly novel to say on the subject, and decided the short version was the better idea. It's one damn fine video game. The action is tighter than ever, the visuals are crisper than ever (minus the occasional texture pop-in), and the story is more...existent than ever. If you have even an inkling of interest in the game, pick it up. You'll be doing yourself a favor. If you already bought it (and you probably already did), then I'm just wasting my time.

Not an uncommon sight
    Not an uncommon sight
    But more than any other part of it, Horde is what makes the game for me. I'm always attracted to any kind of cooperative modes in games, instead of the competitive variety. Maybe I'm more attracted to helping my fellow man than putting a chainsaw to his face....wait, no, that ain't it. I guess what really draws me to playing with others is that I find success much more fulfilling. Sure, I like to see my name on top of the leaderboard as much as the next guy, but it just can't compare to the feeling of sprinting across the map to save your buddy while you're under fire from a couple snipers, a boomer, and a dude with a minigun. Horde offers up plenty of these situations, and then some. The co-op campaign in Gears has been one of the best around since the first iteration and Horde cleverly builds on it. Teamwork goes from being helpful to essential, which honestly sounds like a bad idea initially given Xbox Live's player population, but it works out remarkably well. If there's no chance to do well without working together, people tend to get the point quickly.

Horde also focuses on one of Gears' primary gameplay facets by accuentuating the need to dig in and take cover. It's reminiscent of missions in RTS games that require the player to quickly build up a defense and prepare for the onslaught that is about to be all up in your ass. It really gives the feeling that you're a part of a squad under siege, often fighting just to squeak by, especially on the higher waves. Combine that with the overall atmosphere of a firefight that Gears normally creates, and you got yourself one freakin' intense shootathon.

You know, done typing, I'm just going to go play some more of it. Hit me up if you feel like shooting some computer dudes.

Or we could shoot human dudes too. Either way, I'm shooting something.
    dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By dudacles

Indeed, Horde is truly awesome. I need to play it with people on my friendlist though, because just using matchmaking for teammates always leads to really laggy games for some reason.

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Shasam

I need to play some Horde mode, I haven't been able to get in to a game yet. Others on my friends list got the achievements for it really quickly, then left it behind.

Send me an invite sometime, see if we can not only shoot, but chainsaw, blow up and burn some computer dudes. My gamertag is Nizumal.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By lordofultima

Horde is pretty impossible by yourself. I was trying that earlier. lulz.

WholeFunShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By WholeFunShow

You've just about convinced me to buy Left 4 Dead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.