Hold B, ???, profit

#1 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -

That's how I feel about the multiplayer in this game.

#2 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

What does this mean?

#3 Posted by tmontana1004 (376 posts) -

Um...ok?

#4 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

No, I don't think so.

#5 Posted by faustyn (615 posts) -
Kush said:
"No, I don't think so."
seconded.
#6 Posted by Prime20 (168 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"What does this mean?"
He's basically complaining about how holding the B button for the lancer, or just meleeing the crap out of someone is a sure shot way to victory.

Which is true, if the guy on the other end is stupid enough to not fall back and retreat from the chainsaw, or shoot down someone before they can get close enough to whack the shit out of you.

That said its not perfect, the chainsaw can be pretty much invincible and 2-piecing has been a problem since it was invented in part 1. But its part of the game, deal with it.
#7 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Aww man, 2-piecing is back? Bummer.

#8 Posted by Relys (984 posts) -

I hate the chainsaw. It makes the shotgun seems so underpowered.

#9 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
Relys said:
"I hate the chainsaw. It makes the shotgun seems so underpowered."
I love the chainsaw. It makes the game fun...
#10 Posted by Bonesofwar (262 posts) -

It's not a baseball bat?

#11 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Bonesofwar said:
"It's not a baseball bat?"
IT'S NOT A BASEBALL BAT!!!!!! OMFG!
#12 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

They seriously need to nerf it.  I shot a guy 2 times with my shotgun, while he was revving, and he chainsaw'd me.  They underpower the shotgun, and overpower the chainsaw, it's really annoying.  I'd rather just play the first one.

#13 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

I don't think it's that big of a problem to be honest. 

#14 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I would agree that the chainsaw is overpowered at the moment but two piecing is fine. If you going to get so close to someone that they can hit you... that is your fault...

#15 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

if you going to play like that than you will die a lot.  A lot lot.

#16 Edited by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

"To ugly to live."
"What are these guys made of, shit?"
"Oh yeah."

"Hmm. Oh, I was looking for this. Sniff. Cough. WHO WANTS TOAST? I like 'em crispy on the outside."

#17 Posted by Prime20 (168 posts) -
Bennyishere said:
""To ugly to live."
"What are these guys made of, shit?"
"Oh yeah."

"Hmm. Oh, I was looking for this. Sniff. Cough. WHO WANTS TOAST? I like 'em crispy on the outside.""
Yes, your really contributing to the conversation, great job........
/sarcasm.

Anyways yeah, 2-piecing is always going to be around as long as the timing between each action remains the same.

You cant pistol whip like you could before, your movement is a bit hampered and slowed down so the person getting whipped has a chance to escape.  But 2-piecing with hte shotgun is just as it was on part 1 if not a little better, since they've tweaked the shotgun so much.

But now that theres some stopping power you have a greater chance of prevent it, like SpikeSpiegel said its only going to happen if you let them get that close.

#18 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -

I see it as a moderate problem in the game. Unless you're playing King of the Hill, then it's pretty severe.

#19 Posted by Flushes (329 posts) -

Chainsaw > shotgun every single time. You're much better off trying to either chainsaw him back and flex your NES Track and Field muscle, or just shoot him with the lancer/hammerburst like a champ. The problem seems to be that to interrupt a chainsaw, 5+ of the 8 or so shotgun pellets have to connect with your assailant while he has the chainsaw revved. If the person attempting to chainsaw you isn't an idiot, he won't even fire it up until after you've missed the only shot that could've saved you. If you pop hammerburst shots into the guy or hose him with the lancer, your chances of escaping increase dramatically regardless of range, simply because the automatic fire being more likely to interrupt the saw/slow the bastard down.

#20 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

No sir , if you want to win a round ASAP  you should clean your way using Shotgun , approach the enemy as much as possible and then boom ...just like that .

#21 Posted by KennyTheSober (50 posts) -

I don't think the chainsaw is much of a problem, if they let you see them approach just roll outta the way and open up with your shotgun. It's all in the timing, in my experience in over 200 + games of multiplayer the shotgun will always cleans house once you get used to the range. Using the saw leaves you too exposed to the late-dude's team, unless you've rushed 'em from behind and caught a straggler, the chainsaw through the back animation is so cool :p

#22 Posted by CreamyGoodness (1086 posts) -
Kush said:
"Relys said:
I love the chainsaw. It makes the game fun..."
seconded, the chainsaw is the series landmark, in gears 1 it was useless cause all people did was shotgun, roll, shotgun roll, rinse repeat, now the chainsw is very effective, in multiplayer i have only been chainsawed a few times, because unlesss they catch you by surprixe, either rev yours, or just shotun um, 
ps, i love how the shotgun rushes are out
#23 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

chainsaw bayonet  is like Call of Duty's Knife , you need to approach the enemy and risk your life , but when you do  it is a one hit kill .  see ? it gotta be that way

#24 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -
Kush said:
"Relys said:
I love the chainsaw. It makes the game fun..."
It makes the game cheap.  : \
#25 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -
daniel_beck_90 said:
"chainsaw bayonet  is like Call of Duty's Knife , you need to approach the enemy and risk your life , but when you do  it is a one hit kill .  see ? it gotta be that way"
Here's a story for you:

I shot someone revving their chainsaw, 3 times with a shotgun, and they continued to rev, and they killed me.  He may have risked his life, but Jesus, it must not have been a very high risk.
#26 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -
GioVANNI said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:
"chainsaw bayonet  is like Call of Duty's Knife , you need to approach the enemy and risk your life , but when you do  it is a one hit kill .  see ? it gotta be that way"
Here's a story for you:

I shot someone revving their chainsaw, 3 times with a shotgun, and they continued to rev, and they killed me.  He may have risked his life, but Jesus, it must not have been a very high risk."
at least it needs more courage than just taking cover behind a wall and blind firing a shotgun :P 
#27 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -
daniel_beck_90 said:
"GioVANNI said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:
Here's a story for you:

I shot someone revving their chainsaw, 3 times with a shotgun, and they continued to rev, and they killed me.  He may have risked his life, but Jesus, it must not have been a very high risk."
at least it needs more courage than just taking cover behind a wall and blind firing a shotgun :P "
POINT OF GAME
#28 Edited by Milkman (16535 posts) -

I hate when people complain about this kind of stuff. If it's in the game, I'm going to use it. If I can run up to you and chainsaw you easily, then hell yeah, I'm going to do that. If I can blind fire a shotgun and fuck you up with it, then hell yeah, I'm going to do that. The best way to defend against this is just to do the same thing.

#29 Posted by Prime20 (168 posts) -
GioVANNI said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:
Here's a story for you:

Did you think about retreating? Or if retreating sounds too much like a pussy move, how about a tactical withdrawal?

Its simple, you hear the chainsaw run away, then when you've got some distance turn around and start shooting so that way your not flinging shotgun shells and panicking

At least you dont get suctioned into the saw like yo udid in part one.
#30 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -

I don't find any of these issues to be a problem in gears.   When I hear the chain saw, I just dive in the opposite direction and pull out my shotgun.

#31 Posted by mandeponium (275 posts) -

In Gears 1, the chainsaw was considered cheap when it first came out but as people got better, eventually the chainsaw became a terrible weapon that nobody used because it was so easy to counter.

#32 Posted by _Rorschach_ (15 posts) -

I hate how I'll shoot somebody in the chest with the shotgun and their chainsaw doesn't lower.

#33 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -
Milkman said:
"I hate when people complain about this kind of stuff. If it's in the game, I'm going to use it. If I can run up to you and chainsaw you easily, then hell yeah, I'm going to do that. If I can blind fire a shotgun and fuck you up with it, then hell yeah, I'm going to do that. The best way to defend against this is just to do the same thing."
The strategies of Gears of War are supposed to all occupy a little pie chart of player choices. When one strategy has too big a slice (meaning that it's the best decision in too many situations), I consider it unfair. Sometimes strategies are so good that they render other strategies obsolete in every form for that specific situation. That's also unfair.

A guy with a chainsaw runs from mid-range with it revving the whole time and chops you in half while you shoot him. That's unfair. A shotgun is the clear strategy for close-quarter fights that are separated by cover, yet people use the chainsaw instead nonetheless. The shotgun becomes useless in that situation (the situation it's meant for). Chainsaw is occupying the shotgun pie. That's grounds for being unfair by my criteria.
#34 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

The bigger problem is when I hit a guy 3 times with a shotgun and he didn't even flinch then he hit me once and blew me into chunks.

#35 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -

I don't know, you don't need to suck to get chainsawed. If you play gears of war anytime recently you will notice the whole game is people that use shotguns and lancers. Its all close game play and practically no ranged weapons except for sniper(sometimes) Its fun but I want the regular gameplay too. And gears 2 has this... so stop complaining about things that aren't true and play the damn game.

#36 Edited by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -

"two piecing"?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just googled this bitch.

#37 Posted by HTTenrai (241 posts) -

Remember, if they're chasing you with the chainsaw, shooting them slows them down, thus allowing you to hit them even more, and *gasp* maybe even kill them!

Really, the chainsaw might be an easy kill, but the poor bastard who got sawed probably has a buddy nearby that will net the free kill because of the downtime on the animation.

That kinda evens things out in my opinion.

#38 Posted by Prime20 (168 posts) -

Ive finally realized the problem everyone seems ot be having.

IN gears 1 when someone was revving the saw and charging you, you could spit at them and they'd drop it completely.

IN gears 2 when someone is revving the saw and charging you, unless you get a few good shots in they're going to slow down but not drop the saw completely.

Its just a hunch but that might be why everyone believes theres such a drastic difference and that the shotgun's been completely nerfed.

#39 Posted by TomboDemon (138 posts) -

if youve got a problem fucking chainsaw me back

#40 Edited by Vecta (167 posts) -

The shotgun shoots 8 pellets out in a rectangle (exactly like the aiming reticule), the direction the bullets go never changes (try it numerous times against a wall to learn the pattern) . It takes a full 8 pellets from the shotgun to kill a person. If you fill up your aiming reticule with a persons body and shoot, the person dies in one shot. If said person is revin a chainsaw it will take 4 pellets to cause him to lower it.
.              .         <- Thats the pattern that the pellets leave the gun at.
     :    :
.              .

#41 Posted by MB (12021 posts) -

The whole thing with chainsaws lowering when one gets hit seems to have been reduced in Gears 2.  I've pumped people full of Lancer rounds and still got chainsawed....there is no way that should happen.  It's a bit ridiculous when people can just run around the map revving their chainsaw getting kill after kill.  *cough* Brukauro *cough*

Moderator Online
#42 Posted by trav3ler (168 posts) -

"waaah waaaah, they fixed shotgun dodging and I suck now!"

#43 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

I just roll back from anyone with a lancer out, if you get chainsawed from the front from one guy it is your fault.

#44 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

It does suck. I was playing earlier today and I got three shots in, on a guy revving and running in a completely straight line to me - first shot being active - and he chainsawed me. Frustrating, yes. But with every game you have to deal with the quirks and adjust, it's not GoW1 anymore kids.

#45 Posted by halfameatball (118 posts) -

Two piecing has definitely been balanced out by stopping power. You should never have someone that close to you and not expect to die anyway. The chainsaw on the other hand has become frustrating. People can just run through shotgun shell after shotgun shell and still end up getting you. The lancer's chainsaw  is not lowered and delayed enough when shot at and it is a little ridiculous sometimes.

#46 Posted by FreshPrince (11 posts) -

It's wayyy more fun then in the first Gears of War which I hated because of shotgun users

#47 Posted by siLVUR (113 posts) -

I thought this was a Pokemon reference.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.