Is Gears of War 2 worth it for the single player?

#1 Posted by Icemael (6307 posts) -

I've been considering buying Gears 2 for a long time. I loved both Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space to death, and the gameplay in Gears certainly looks similar. Thing is, I'm not much of a multiplayer man. If I get it, I'll probably not spend a lot of time(if any) playing online. So I'm wondering if it's worth buying the game just for the single player?

#2 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

The single player was personally my favorite part of the game so yes it is worth it.

#3 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Singleplayer is pretty meh. The plot is a joke, but the action is pretty nice.
Ideally, play it co-op with a friend. Then it becomes great fun.

#4 Posted by LuchaDeerFear (41 posts) -

yessir, its rock solid.

#5 Posted by Icemael (6307 posts) -

How long is the campaign?

#6 Posted by Fosssil (627 posts) -

If you're only interested in the single-player, I'd say to give it a rental. The campaign shouldn't take you much more than 10 hours or so (unless you crank up the difficulty) and there isn't much replayability, unless you're interesting in finding all of the collectible items. And, even if you're not interested in the multiplayer now, I suggest you at least check out Horde mode -- it's pretty fun/addicting.

#7 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

It should be about 40 dollars right now, the campaign is worth it along with horde mode. Have you played the first Gears? if not pick it up for cheap, it's worth it.

#8 Posted by Icemael (6307 posts) -

Thing is, there is no rental service around these parts. So if I want to play the game, I have no option but to buy it...

#9 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

Yes.

#10 Posted by natetodamax (19164 posts) -

Once you beat the single-player a few times, you will most likely get bored with it. It's fun, but after several playthroughs it kinda went meh

#11 Posted by Karmum (11516 posts) -

It is great if you play in co-op, as for playing by yourself, it is okay. I'm finding it hard to play Gears of War 2 again to get some of the singleplayer achievements.

#12 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

The single player is definitely far better than the first game.  I would consider the game worthy of a purchase even if you do not play multiplayer.  I never play online multiplayer with Gears 2, but I do play local multiplayer and just use bots to fill empty slots.

#13 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

In my opinion, yes definately. Co-operative playonly makes it even better and multiplayer is great also. Gears 2 is a great package. But even if you only ever play the campaign on your own its still worth it. You just wont get the most out of it.

#14 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

The single player was the shit.

#15 Posted by Icemael (6307 posts) -

Thanks for the responses, seems it'll be a buy. It'll have to wait though, with all the upcoming releases there just isn't enough money for it(unless I can find it cheap).

#16 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Most definitely. The campaign was a blast. I thoroughly loved it, even when playing all by myself. It's even better in co-op. I still haven't really messed with the online features much, but if you ask me, the campaign alone is definitely worth $60.

#17 Posted by CHIEFMEGADETH666 (110 posts) -

Oh fuck yes!
Best single player game ive ever played!
Man i laughed and cryed and kicked some locust butt!
Gears 1 and 2 by far best games ive ever played!

#18 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I think it's definitely worth it for SP, especially since you can play MP matches with bots and you can attempt to play Horde by yourself...probably won't get far :P

#19 Posted by hunt_ad (30 posts) -

I'd say no. There's not much variety in the way you beat the missions. You are on a pretty set path the entire time so its not like you'll play through it any differently one time than another. Not worth it.

#20 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Campaign, Horde, and offline multiplayer, I think it's a rock solid purchase.

#21 Posted by gamerpro (8 posts) -

me i just played the single player and havent et tried the online... but it seem online has alot to offer but playing single player is defently worth your while 

#22 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Yes.

#23 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

2 player horde is damn awesome

As for the campaign, it has some pretty good moments (like the attack jacinto and the assault derrick whatchamacalit level on act 1), and some pretty lame moments (endless tramping through nexus with dom) but overall it's pretty epic. And insane mode is way hard

#24 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

A whole-hearted yes from me. I enjoyed it immensely (Still have to go through it on Insane to net the hardcore/insane achievements too), which I'm looking forward to getting around to.

So pick it up! :D

#25 Posted by zymase (158 posts) -

I would say yes for two reasons:  the campaign is good and you will want to play it through more than once, and also you can experience the multiplayer maps and game modes without playing online, by setting up bots at any of the same difficulty settings as the campaign:  casual, hardcore, and insane.

The only thing you'd really be missing out on is Horde mode, since it's near impossible to do well solo, but you could always have friends over and split-screen it.

#26 Posted by TheHBK (5458 posts) -

I actually never play online unless its with friends.  All we do is have some two on two matches or just try to get through horde mode.  But yeah, if you got friends and play the co-op and the horde mode with them, then its definitely worth it.  It is a great game even if you dont do that, the campaign is pretty fun.

#27 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Certainly so. The campaign isn't long, probably about 8 hours, but it has great replay value just like the first game.

#28 Posted by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

The single player campaign is great stuff. The multiplayer even more so.

Of course you get the point I enjoyed Gears of War 2 a lot.

#29 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

Yep, single is mad.

#30 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

just rent it.
I had fun with it.

#31 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Gears 2 was amazing SP.  Much better campaign than the first one.  Bots for versus mode (so you can play the same game modes of people online, but without lag or assholes), Horde mode is very difficult by yourself but still fun.

#32 Edited by Wolverine (4276 posts) -
Icemael said:
"I've been considering buying Gears 2 for a long time. I loved both Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space to death, and the gameplay in Gears certainly looks similar. Thing is, I'm not much of a multiplayer man. If I get it, I'll probably not spend a lot of time(if any) playing online. So I'm wondering if it's worth buying the game just for the single player?"
I really loved the original Gear's Single player but didn't really like the 2nd games' as much.
#33 Posted by chplusink (23 posts) -

I would say that it is well worth it, even just for the single player, but that's just my opinion.  As someone already mentioned, even if you're not normally into online multiplayer experiences, you should still give Horde a try online, since it is completely different from the regular deathmatch-type experiences and it provides near unlimited replay value, especially with friends.  The campaign doesn't have too much replay value without a co-op buddy, but the first campaign play through will probably be a great experience.  I say probably because it's still a matter of taste.  For example, you mentioned Resident Evil and Dead Space, those games aren't too similar to Gears.  Yes, they too are 3rd person shooters, but both RE and Dead Space are more horror based, slower paced, and more plot driven (based on uncovering mystery) than Gears 2.  On the other hand, Gears 2 has a more cinematic action experience and intuitively tightened controls for bad-ass firefights.  For what Gears is, I think it executes almost flawlessly.  If you find entertainment in Aliens and Terminator 2, and you like videogames, it is highly probably that you will find Gears 2's campaign and horde a worthwhile experience.

#34 Posted by mracoon (4947 posts) -

I haven't even played the multiplayer but the single player is great and I think it's worth it just for that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.