Is Marcus a memerable enough character to become a game ledgend?

• 84 results
#51 Posted by Ice_Cold_Rayman (216 posts) -

Marcus hasn't been the most memorable character so far. I think he could take on a bigger role, become better known. But it will take some more characterization.

#52 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

I thought the main character of the game was the Chainsaw Bayonet.

#53 Posted by GoranP (1098 posts) -

Gears 2 and 3 will determine if Marcus goes down in history.

#54 Posted by LuffyUzumaki (453 posts) -

he's cool but not legendary

#55 Posted by Djrocks (93 posts) -

I think a game legend would be someone like Pac-Man or Gorden Freeman. Marcus acts like a flat character, so as of now he isn't going to be someone your going to remember in 20 years. Unless they make him a round character in G.O.W.2.

#56 Posted by BeyondPerfection (49 posts) -

Probably not. Dom gets more respect anyway, doesn't he?

#57 Posted by darthzew (304 posts) -

He needs some good lines and a "moment" all his own. Like Mario has "itzame! Mario!" 

#58 Posted by MOLE (321 posts) -

Marcus will, its just that he has only starred in one game so far.  I have a feeling they will make at least 5 or 6 Gears of Wars in the coming future.

#59 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1550 posts) -

I actually feel that Cole was more memorable than Marcus just because of the funny things he said during battles. Marcus just doesn't seem like the type of character that would rank next to the other legends.

#60 Posted by Met2609 (555 posts) -

I think his generic toughness makes him unique, if that makes any sense...

#61 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

I'll wait to see how good Gears 2 is before I make that judgment.

#62 Posted by Riddler (1528 posts) -

Shit Yeah

#63 Posted by Player1 (3839 posts) -
Dr_Feelgood38 said:
"I actually feel that Cole was more memorable than Marcus just because of the funny things he said during battles. Marcus just doesn't seem like the type of character that would rank next to the other legends.
"

the exact reason why marcus will never be famous. His supporting cast is to memorable. Good thing for the game itself, bad thing for marcus
#64 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

I think after 2 more gears of war games he will probaly make it

#65 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

Right now I say not.

He just hasn't made an impression on me, maybe because he's just too bland and generic.

#66 Posted by Jensonb (1645 posts) -

No. Gears is not that good.

#67 Posted by guerrajr (57 posts) -

I think the most obvious answer is if they make a better story.

#68 Posted by Termite (2395 posts) -

A bit to cliched.

If they developed him more, then maybe

#69 Posted by Leon31 (125 posts) -

If indeed Gears 2 brings out a better story and more depth to the characters, I can see Marcus becoming a memorable character. Until then, due to Gears being as bland as it was, no.

#70 Posted by Aaox (1656 posts) -

I don't know. If Master chief, a guy who talks about as much as that dude who gets killed in the first five minutes of ALiEN, and whose face you never see can be a legend. The Marcus, who talks as much as a normal person, and has a pretty kick ass Bandana. Yeah, I think he's a video gaming legend.
Not as much as Snake, though. It could be the names, you know. Like 'Solid Snake' and 'Master Chief' are way cooler names than 'Marcus Fenix'.

#71 Posted by alterbridge9 (48 posts) -

I think the franchise will become legendary but not Marcus!

#72 Posted by brooklyngrenade (446 posts) -

Like the others have been saying, Gears 1's story did not provide enough room for Marcus and even the other characters to develop well. His lines are not memorable, not to mention the dialogue was not cohesive to begin with. But, hopefully with Gears 2, Epic fleshed out the story like they stated. I guess that also ascribes to further characterization with Marcus, so we shall see.

#73 Posted by KinRai (18 posts) -

No.
BUT COLE IS! Hehehehe

#74 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -
Kenzo287 said:
"I think after Gears 2 he will become a legend. "If they can ride them so can we." Riding Brumaks...how much more badass can you get?
"
I agree.

I can really see Gears 2 making him a legend. He has potential, I could see him as the face of the 360, all he needs is a more story driven game, where we see more of his personality and heroic moments.

To be honest, personality isn't essential, look at Master Chief...
#75 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

Nah, he needs at least 3 games to get the standards for me.

#76 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -

After Gears 2 i think he will have a shot at becoming one but right now no i dont think he can

#77 Posted by Sarnecki (683 posts) -

MC isn't memorable enough.  His amour is cool enough, that's twhy these characters are so well known.

#78 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

I definitely don't think so. He's this big hulky mean-looking tough guy. We already had one with Duke Nukem. He's not very likable, to be honest. Not someone who has an emotional level or something we players can relate with.

#79 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

I say a few more of these bad boys and marcus is going to be on par with master chief. Personnaly i think the GOW series is better in a gameplay perspective which increases Marcus's persona and status as a gaming character.

#80 Posted by Hulk (428 posts) -

Marcus overshadowed by other characters in his own game.  COG squad is iconic, but not necessarily Marcus alone.

#81 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
Hulk said:
"Marcus overshadowed by other characters in his own game.  COG squad is iconic, but not necessarily Marcus alone."
I agree, I think the whole squad could be seen as an iconic group next to the likes of stand-alone iconic characters like Mario, etc.

#82 Posted by pause422 (6153 posts) -

Regardless of what they try to do with the story of Gears 2,since they've stated they want to make it more impactful and emotional,at its core you like gears only for the gameplay,or you don't. The story will never be some fucking epic masterpiece,thats not what people really want it for. I doubt he'll become a "legend" at all,but maybe the squad in general, would at least be a memorable cast of video game characters in years to come.

#83 Posted by REforever101 (258 posts) -
MOLE said:
"Marcus will, its just that he has only starred in one game so far.  I have a feeling they will make at least 5 or 6 Gears of Wars in the coming future."
i thought gears was a trilogy?
#84 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Nope.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.