Jeff and the guys over exaggerated the graphics improvements!!

#1 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
Gamespot Gears 2 vs Gears 1 graphics
I really enjoyed the second game, but i after getting to seriously look at some decent comparison shots here, i actually thought the first game looked better in many of the comparisons (i didn't read anything they wrote though, which you shouldn't either, they're just trying to feed you their opinions, just check out the pics and make your own judgements.)

all i know is though, that the guys on GB were making it out like this game blew away the previous one in terms of graphics. i remember Brad, in a bombcast, getting all nerdy about how incredibly detailed Marcus' face was and getting all into to detail about the gruesome scarrrrsss 00o0oh. really not that big of a difference. 
#2 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

I should clarify I have only played the first game but from looking at that I think Gears 2 is a huge step forward.

*shrugs* I'll leave this to the people who have played both.

EDIT: Still think Gears 2 looks better but on second look I do prefer the colouring of Gridlock and the rain on Subway. However -- Gears 2 looks much more defined. I don't know. I haven't played Gears 2. Blah, blah.

EDIT 2: Aren't these the maps from a downloadable map pack? I'm sure the ingame graphics of the campaign are the step forward GiantBomb talked about. They don't usually make things up?

#3 Posted by Weltal (2273 posts) -

Uhh, Gears 2 looks a shit ton better, looking at those shots.

#4 Posted by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

Still shots don't really show graphical differences well. Only seeing the action in motion really shows it well.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Gears 2 is a lot more defined it is just that Gears 1 used a darker color scheme to hide it. I personally like the darker colors though.

#6 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

Gears of War 2 is noticeably a better looking game than already stunning  GOW1 . 
you know what ?!  you can not really judge the graphics by just looking at the internet images , go pick up both games and play 'em (on an HD-TV) and then you'll realize the huge visual improvements occurred in the second game

#7 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

it's simple really

seeing the even more detailed textures pass by you smoothly is just *drool*

#8 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

Here we go, looking at SCREENSHOTS to compare graphic capability.  Moreover, you are talking about the revamp of a previous map!!!  Should we compare Cold Storage to Lockout now?

Running gameplay is the only thing that matters to me.  Hope y'alls screenshot war here goes well...
#9 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

hmm maybe im seeing things wrong,

i know the colors were better, and i know the depth of field is better, but is the texture work that much better?
#10 Posted by Sanch0 (6 posts) -

Beautiful game! I'm only just into the underground part, a little after the cinematic with the badass predator like guy but that first section blew me away! I hope it keeps it up throughout, I'm pretty sure it will deliver. Bravo!

#11 Posted by The_Dude (798 posts) -

Gears 2 looks better, but those pictures are all pretty terrible, what the hell is up with the resolution?

#12 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -
TwoOneFive said:
"hmm maybe im seeing things wrong,
i know the colors were better, and i know the depth of field is better, but is the texture work that much better?"
Well, given the amount of horrificly bad UE3 texture pop-in that you find in the first game when you compare it to the second....yeah, GoW2 does have better texture work.
But again, you are also talking about two different games with two different feelings.  The first GoW was very dark and high contrast.  GoW2 is very different.  On top of that, a lot of the detail on the multiplayer maps was dropped down a bit all around just for the sake of faster loading and bringing anything out that could lag the match down.  In turn, though...they didn't search their code and test it enough for all the glitches in multiplayer, so    =  /
#13 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

Do everyone a favor and never post articles from Gamespot again.

#14 Posted by toxicEnchiliada (330 posts) -
#15 Posted by Player1 (3868 posts) -

I don't know what shots you were looking at, but in my opinion Gears 2 blew the first out of the water.

Still though, Gears was the best at its time, so I'll never forget my initial amazement with it's graphics.

But after actually playing both games ( I assume you haven't, no offense, you don't come off as a guy who owns a 360) Gears 2 graphics are once again, the best of its time. They are the best graphics on the 360.

#16 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -

They should have shown shots of the underground levels. Multiplayer levels are quite as good looking as the single player is.

#17 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -

The biggest improvement is bigger color pallet. Although I sort of miss the monochrome from Gears one look.

#18 Posted by Kazona (3068 posts) -
LiquidPrince said:
"The biggest improvement is bigger color pallet. Although I sort of miss the monochrome from Gears one look."
Really? Judging from thoses shots I actually find the Gears 2 ones to be more monotonous in color. More detailed and well-defined, but with less color.
#19 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Gears 2's graphics are much more detailed than in the original

#20 Posted by Zebadee (491 posts) -

Gears 2 still has the annoying texture pop in but they hide it better by increasing their alpha once they have loaded.

#21 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I've only just got an xbox 360 so only now have i had a proper chance to play both games. I would say that Gears 2 is most definitely an improvement on the first game but it's not mind bogglingly better.

#22 Edited by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Would have to say Gears 1 looks better... judging from these screens alone, I haven't played it yet.

#23 Posted by Player1 (3868 posts) -
Kazona said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"The biggest improvement is bigger color pallet. Although I sort of miss the monochrome from Gears one look."
Really? Judging from thoses shots I actually find the Gears 2 ones to be more monotonous in color. More detailed and well-defined, but with less color."
thats because it shows multiplayer maps, and the world is virtually destroyed in gears 2, so its all dusty and gray. During the campaign you see way more color.
#24 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Want good graphics?
Don't use Unreal 3

#25 Posted by Rowr (5660 posts) -

Wow i didnt realise till i looked at those shots how much they brightened the second one up.

Also, Gears2 looks pretty incredible. How about you put the first game on and compare for yourself.

#26 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"Still shots don't really show graphical differences well. Only seeing the action in motion really shows it well."
Yeah this. Seeing all the details moving and all the various blur effects/lighting effects makes Gears 2 look a lot better.
#27 Posted by 1_879_116_9420 (96 posts) -

I saw a graphics comaprison of Gears 1 vs. Gears 2 versions of the same maps on that site which shall not be named, and basically it looks like Epic ruined Gear's appearance in the new game. They put this sort of green/yellow tint over everything, and lost much of the variety of caves/human streets/swamps of the first game: now everything is swamped.

#28 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Wow.

It actually kinda looks like they shot the entire thing trough a coffee filter.
#29 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I finished the second game a few times then went back to the first to finally complete it on Insane and I did notice a definite difference. It seems more to do with colours and lighting than actual base graphics though, which is something missed in those still shots.

#30 Posted by Lieutenant (347 posts) -

A static compressed .jpg isn't the best way to compare graphics.

#31 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Those 'comparison' shots are amazingly shitty.  To me, Gears 2 looked worlds better than Gears 1.

Gears 1 during the rainstorm fighting the lambent guys that would explode for the first time.  Rain effect was basically a noise shader, framerate would drop to below 10fps at times, lighting and colors weren't as nice IMO
Gears 2 during the rainstorm, constant 30fps, nice lightning effects.  Rain effect was somewhat nicer, but still not perfect.

Basically I hated how Gears 1 looked (and played for that matter), but I think Gears 2 is one of the top 10 best looking games released to date.

#32 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

Gears of war 2 was a major upgrade over gears of war 1 sheer quality of models alone was upped let alone texture quality, and size of maps...ect
The same for halo 2-3 the upgrade was amazing maps bigger, models better, textures better lighting better.

#33 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

I have played both of them and I can assure you, they did not over exaggerate the graphical improvements of Gears of War 2 over its predecessor.

#34 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

It seems like in Gears2 they added fog to all the levels.

#35 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -

Bigger color scheme is the biggest difference to me. It looks just as good if not better.

#36 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I don't know what I have to say that hasn't already been mentioned, but Gears 2's graphics are superior to the original. Though still shots are bad ways to compare them, there is still a huge improvement between the two.  Gears 2 has brighter colors, better lighting, better textures, better everything.

#37 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

To what end does this nit picking benefit us?

Gears 2 not only looks better, but Gears 1 still looks friggin great too, what do you people want?!
#38 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
Cheapoz said:
"To what end does this nit picking benefit us?
Gears 2 not only looks better, but Gears 1 still looks friggin great too, what do you people want?!
"
Ice cream cake.
#39 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -
ArchScabby said:
"Cheapoz said:
"
Ice cream cake."
Make it happen.
#40 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -
Cheapoz said:
"ArchScabby said:
"Cheapoz said:
"
Ice cream cake."
Make it happen."
For everyone.

#41 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
LiquidPrince said:
"Cheapoz said:
"ArchScabby said:
"Cheapoz said:
"
Ice cream cake."
Make it happen."
For everyone.

"

Now.
#42 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

they pretty much look the same but Gears 2 has much, much bigger environments

#43 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

Man...Gears of War series is overrated im my eyes

#44 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -

Having gone back and played from gears online/campaning only a few days ago I can safley say that Gears 2 looks 10x better than the first one.

#45 Posted by drakesfortune (296 posts) -

I have to agree, I don't feel that the graphics are improved as much as they made out.  There's definitely an improvement, but to me the biggest improvement was that the environments were much more interesting to look at, tastefully had color added to them, and better designed.  I actually went through and picked up a couple extra GoW1 achievements directly after finishing GoW2, and didn't feel like the improvements were nearly as pronounced as the giant bomb guys did.

#46 Posted by Vecta (167 posts) -
ArchScabby said:
"It seems like in Gears2 they added fog to all the levels."
They added depth of field. A LOT of people seem to mistake it for texture blur purposefully done to make the game run smoother.

And yes going back and forth between the 2 games you can easily see the improvement of Gears 2 over the original. Everything from the animations to the textures are much higher quality.
#47 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
Vecta said:
"ArchScabby said:
"It seems like in Gears2 they added fog to all the levels."
They added depth of field. A LOT of people seem to mistake it for texture blur purposefully done to make the game run smoother.

And yes going back and forth between the 2 games you can easily see the improvement of Gears 2 over the original. Everything from the animations to the textures are much higher quality."
no look at gridlock, it's all foggy in a greenish sort of way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.