Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

July Is Gears Of War 2 Add-On Month

• 50 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

The Cole Train is showing no signs of slowing down; Microsoft and Epic Games announced a cavalcade of Gears of War 2 content today, coming in July.

This announcement confirms the existence of Dark Corners, the next DLC release that was rumored a few weeks ago. If you hate downloading your games or something, you'll also be able to buy Dark Corners--along with all three previously released map packs--in a new retail package called All Fronts. With seven multiplayer maps and a new single-player chapter, Dark Corners looks like a pretty beefy add-on. Here's a weird picture of Marcus Fenix in Theron Guard attire, which must be from the new solo chapter.

No Caption Provided
    Take a gander at the full rundown of what's in the Dark Corners pack.

Included in the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” is the “Gears of War 2: Dark Corners” Game Add-on, which features seven new multiplayer maps and a deleted campaign chapter titled “Road to Ruin.” In “Road to Ruin,” Marcus and Dom return to the Locust Hollow in a scene that can be played two ways, guns blazing or in all-new stealth mode. The seven new multiplayer maps in the “Gears of War 2: Dark Corners” Game Add-on are:

• Allfathers Garden: Honor the sacred grounds of the Coalition founders in this explosive map, where powerful weapons catalyze fast and furious action at this COG landmark.
    • Memorial: Set near the Eternal Flame, which pays tribute to the fallen soldiers on the battlefield, a hard-fought battle ensues at the Tomb of Unknowns. Putting their flank formation and evasive skills to the test, players will fight to control the
    • Boomshot Sanctuary: Once a peaceful ground for reflection and remembrance, all that remains of the Sanctuary is the chill of death. Feast your eyes on the arsenal of weapons available as you make your way through the tight paths and blind corners of the Locust-damaged temple corridors.
    • War Machine: In the abandoned train station that once served as a hub for travel, players will need to master the Longshot, Mulcher and Boomshot weapons to advance the fight while evading fire from the platforms above.
    • Highway: Take the fight deep into the Locust Hollow in the complex passages of this underground highway system brimming with enemy vermin. Stick together, separate the enemy and have an exit strategy ready or it’ll be a one-way trip.
    • Way Station: Sitting in limbo between death and “processing” are Locust way stations filled with fallen COG soldiers. Tread lightly and practice patience as it’s better to sacrifice firepower for stealth while navigating this minefield of hidden grenades.
    • Nowhere: Set in the middle of what was once a destination for weary desert travellers, the land is now barren and devoid of life. Pick off your enemies with the Longshot sniper rifle and make your way to the stairwell with a well-fortified team during this intense firefight.

In addition to the new content, the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” also contains every “Gears of War 2” Game Add-on released to date, including the classic “Flashback” Map Pack, volatile “Combustible” Map Pack and the winter-themed “Snowblind” Map Pack. Also included is an introduction to “Road to Ruin” from Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski, along with a custom Xbox LIVE theme, collectible “Gears of War 2” poster and a strategy guide. Containing over 3,600 Microsoft Points worth of content, the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” is an incredible value at $19.99.

Already enjoying the previously released “Gears of War 2” collection of map packs? Available day-and-date with “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” via download from Xbox LIVE Marketplace, the “Dark Corners” Game Add-on will be available separately for 1,600 MS Points.

The pricing of these packages baffles me. The All Fronts retail disc is $19.99 and comes with Dark Corners, every previous DLC pack, and all those extra bonuses you see listed above. Or you can just buy Dark Corners by itself on Marketplace for 1600 Microsoft Points, which equates to... $20.

So for one penny more you can get a ton less content. That's a lousy deal for someone who hasn't gotten any Gears 2 DLC yet, and a big middle finger to someone who did spend a bunch of money on them already. Unless there's some kind of over-the-top DRM restrictions in place on the All Fronts package, I don't see why anyone would want to buy Dark Corners online when they can get so much more at retail.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Brad

The Cole Train is showing no signs of slowing down; Microsoft and Epic Games announced a cavalcade of Gears of War 2 content today, coming in July.

This announcement confirms the existence of Dark Corners, the next DLC release that was rumored a few weeks ago. If you hate downloading your games or something, you'll also be able to buy Dark Corners--along with all three previously released map packs--in a new retail package called All Fronts. With seven multiplayer maps and a new single-player chapter, Dark Corners looks like a pretty beefy add-on. Here's a weird picture of Marcus Fenix in Theron Guard attire, which must be from the new solo chapter.

No Caption Provided
    Take a gander at the full rundown of what's in the Dark Corners pack.

Included in the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” is the “Gears of War 2: Dark Corners” Game Add-on, which features seven new multiplayer maps and a deleted campaign chapter titled “Road to Ruin.” In “Road to Ruin,” Marcus and Dom return to the Locust Hollow in a scene that can be played two ways, guns blazing or in all-new stealth mode. The seven new multiplayer maps in the “Gears of War 2: Dark Corners” Game Add-on are:

• Allfathers Garden: Honor the sacred grounds of the Coalition founders in this explosive map, where powerful weapons catalyze fast and furious action at this COG landmark.
    • Memorial: Set near the Eternal Flame, which pays tribute to the fallen soldiers on the battlefield, a hard-fought battle ensues at the Tomb of Unknowns. Putting their flank formation and evasive skills to the test, players will fight to control the
    • Boomshot Sanctuary: Once a peaceful ground for reflection and remembrance, all that remains of the Sanctuary is the chill of death. Feast your eyes on the arsenal of weapons available as you make your way through the tight paths and blind corners of the Locust-damaged temple corridors.
    • War Machine: In the abandoned train station that once served as a hub for travel, players will need to master the Longshot, Mulcher and Boomshot weapons to advance the fight while evading fire from the platforms above.
    • Highway: Take the fight deep into the Locust Hollow in the complex passages of this underground highway system brimming with enemy vermin. Stick together, separate the enemy and have an exit strategy ready or it’ll be a one-way trip.
    • Way Station: Sitting in limbo between death and “processing” are Locust way stations filled with fallen COG soldiers. Tread lightly and practice patience as it’s better to sacrifice firepower for stealth while navigating this minefield of hidden grenades.
    • Nowhere: Set in the middle of what was once a destination for weary desert travellers, the land is now barren and devoid of life. Pick off your enemies with the Longshot sniper rifle and make your way to the stairwell with a well-fortified team during this intense firefight.

In addition to the new content, the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” also contains every “Gears of War 2” Game Add-on released to date, including the classic “Flashback” Map Pack, volatile “Combustible” Map Pack and the winter-themed “Snowblind” Map Pack. Also included is an introduction to “Road to Ruin” from Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski, along with a custom Xbox LIVE theme, collectible “Gears of War 2” poster and a strategy guide. Containing over 3,600 Microsoft Points worth of content, the “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” is an incredible value at $19.99.

Already enjoying the previously released “Gears of War 2” collection of map packs? Available day-and-date with “Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection” via download from Xbox LIVE Marketplace, the “Dark Corners” Game Add-on will be available separately for 1,600 MS Points.

The pricing of these packages baffles me. The All Fronts retail disc is $19.99 and comes with Dark Corners, every previous DLC pack, and all those extra bonuses you see listed above. Or you can just buy Dark Corners by itself on Marketplace for 1600 Microsoft Points, which equates to... $20.

So for one penny more you can get a ton less content. That's a lousy deal for someone who hasn't gotten any Gears 2 DLC yet, and a big middle finger to someone who did spend a bunch of money on them already. Unless there's some kind of over-the-top DRM restrictions in place on the All Fronts package, I don't see why anyone would want to buy Dark Corners online when they can get so much more at retail.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cool! Glad to see some single player content. More DLC for games need to do that instead of just always tossing out maps. But the pricing for this is pretty dumb.

DorianBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DorianBlack

This intrigues me. I may re-buy GoW2 for this.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Death_Unicorn

wow, Ive bought only one of the dlc maps, but now idk weather I should buy the pack or just dark fronts or whatever online.

JDUB_XL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By JDUB_XL

Excited for the new content but the price thing is weird.

necrophite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By necrophite

Anyone know if the bundle is coming to the UK and how much it will cost there?

pisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By pisk

I don't really need MP maps and was planning only  to buy the Add-on, but with the same prices why not play deleted campaign chapter (and get the theme and the poster). I guess I'll have to risk that shelf space.

Maybe the collection will only be released in the US and will be region free like other GoWs.  
    headcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By headcase

Good work sticking it to 'em with that last paragraph, Brad.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By megalowho

Too long a gap between release and announcing some interesting DLC worth keeping the game disc around for. I've already traded in my copy at this point. And the download=less content for your money issue is troubling to me.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By AndrewB

At what point did they think putting a stealth level into a run-and-gun shooter was a good idea, and how crazy can they be to expect me to pay 1600 "points" for this separately? The only thing I would be interested in would be the single player portion, and the bar for that is pretty much set at 800 points. I love some of these big name titles like Gears of War and Halo, but the pricing they can get away with for their DLC is becoming abhorrent.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#11  Edited By Vinchenzo

I already bought the previous two map packs. What. Fucking. Bullshit. I'm never supporting EPIC games again. Congratulations, you lost a customer.

Stupid fucking Cliffy B. Go hump a tree you douche!
    musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By musdy

COOL BEANS!!!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JJOR64

Sounds awesome, and it's awesome to see War Machine come back.  Love that map.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Karmum

Found a reason to get back into Gears of War 2, without buying all of the map packs separately.

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Double0hFor

sweet, i havent bought the map packs because i didnt think they were worth it, but maybe now i will buy the pack

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By webby

£14.99 in the UK

CaptainElvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaptainElvis

haven't played Gears 2 in a while after being letdown from the original state of multiplayer.  I got the updates but just wasn't interested in playing anymore, even though it was better.  Now with new single player DLC as well i am interested in getting and by playing the new single player part will get me more into the new mulitplayer DLC as well

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Carlos1408

I'm excited about the single-player stuff, always like some more to squeeze out of a game. Couldn't really care less about maps I don't even play the multiplayer anyways.
    Yea, sounds interesting :)

Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Oy

hmmm, this actually sounds good.  glad I haven't bought any content yet.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Venatio

I havent bought any of the DLC for gears 2 and the idea of all maps and seven new ones along with an extra singleplayer level for CHEAP sounds awesome

But Im confused, does this include the full campaign from Gears 2? Or will I need my current Gears 2 disc? Do I install all of this to my Harddrive? How does it work?

I just hope that they release this in EU at the same time as in US

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I haven't bought any map packs yet, so this is a done deal.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By RHCPfan24

Wow, this sounds like a great deal. I am in for this one.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Afroman269

Fuck you EPIC and your fat middle finger!!!

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You know, I would be happy for this except for the fact that it's quite obvious Epic held back content.  No way would they be making that many crappy maps this fast.   They had one map pack when the game came out, another a month later, etc.
    It's not like Gears 2 was screaming with content to begin with.

Hell, the mp doesn't even work right...

Anyway, it's all fine.  I technically don't even own Gears 2, I just borrow it from my neighbor a bit.  I'll probably end up buying the version that comes out with all the maps and campaign expansion

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Manks

Very nice.  I'll be getting the retail version because it's the same price with more stuff.  Even though I have all the DLC maps so far.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By ez123

Hopefully everyone buys the retail version.  I'm definitively getting this but they should have some Horde stuff.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27  Edited By spiceninja

This almost made me want to go buy Gears 2 again but then I remembered that they never fixed the shitty online so none of this matters.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pibo47

CANNOT WAIT!!! WOOOO!

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GeekDown

HOLY SHIT!!! I am so picking this up!

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30  Edited By spazmaster666

As one of those who bought both the DLC map packs, the fact that I apparently wasted $20 is a little disappointing, but it's about time that we got some singeplayer DLC for Gears. With most games these days using DLC as a means of simply adding more multiplayer maps, including extra singleplayer content is a great trend imo, even if it's not necessarily significant (i.e. the Saints Row 2 DLC)

Still though it all brings us back to the fact that this type of DLC (specifically multiplayer map packs) will always be overpriced because the audience that the DLC aim for are people who want to get the content right away and hence are willing to pay the extra money. I have a feeling that by the time this new DLC/retail disc comes out, the previous two DLC packs may become free (since no one, I hope, will be dumb enough to buy them at that time).

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Relys

I'm not paying $20 for this.

I already paid $60 for the "Gears of War 2 beta"

rNilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By rNilla

Basically hardcore Gears 2 players are being charged the same for new maps as they have been all along, while newcomers to Gears 2 DLC are receiving an incredible amount of content for free (with purchase of new content).  They could have at least set a $5 difference between the retail and online offerings to make it less baffling.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cheapoz

Great! Here's what it'll be like in Australia:

• The online will still be broken, you'll never be paired with another aussie online, so you can 1000x new maps and still not have fun online
    • The retail disc will probably cost $50, which is more than 1600MS points (but not much more)
    • But dammit they finally bring out War Machine and I have to buy it in this mega pack, dammit epic, you get my money again.

EndrzGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EndrzGame

Glad I haven't bought any DLC for GoW2. I haven't really gotten into the multi-player side of it. I'll probably get this and give it a whirl. If you don't want to pay $20 for it then you don't have to. It's not like anyone is holding a gun to your head.

Beechbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By Beechbone

Finally someone thought about retail disc DLC. This is the only way I can have those maps cause I can't dl them in my region which sucks as hell. Anyways, for $20 it's one hell of a deal.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Media_Master

Pricing is bananas

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DerekDanahy

I think it's important to note in this that it says a new CHAPTER for the campaign.  Chapters in this game usually last around 15 minutes, not to be confused with an Act.

pisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By pisk

How many hours of gameplay do you expect from "Dark Corner" SP Add-on? 

Will it be 2? It can't be more than 3. Of course I still want to play it.
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cheapoz
    Media_Master said:
    "Pricing is bananas"
    I've just hatched a plan. The "retail disc" is going to be a plastic box with a download code in it. Given that prices will be ridiculously inflated here in Aus, we can just key up someone overseas to buy a d/l code and send it over. Easy.
    giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41  Edited By giyanks22

Looks pretty nice I'm going to have to buy this...

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I was thinking about getting some of the Gears 2 stuff after I wrap up Broken Steel.  Guess I'll just wait a bit longer and save quite a bit of money.

The new campaign stuff could be cool.  I honestly never expected the word "stealth" to turn up in an Epic game
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#43  Edited By dsplayer1010

Awesome.

SilverArrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SilverArrows

"a big middle finger to someone who did spend a bunch of money on them already"

Yep, pretty much. If the online DLC were 1200 points ($15) it would be fine, at least people wont feel ripped off.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By TomA

Sweet, for 20 bucks ima just buy this even though i already own the game.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#46  Edited By MeatSim

The Multiplayer online is still messed up how about you fix the original game you shipped first.

alterbridge9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#47  Edited By alterbridge9
    spazmaster666 said:
    "As one of those who bought both the DLC map packs, the fact that I apparently wasted $20 is a little disappointing, but it's about time that we got some singeplayer DLC for Gears. With most games these days using DLC as a means of simply adding more multiplayer maps, including extra singleplayer content is a great trend imo, even if it's not necessarily significant (i.e. the Saints Row 2 DLC)Still though it all brings us back to the fact that this type of DLC (specifically multiplayer map packs) will always be overpriced because the audience that the DLC aim for are people who want to get the content right away and hence are willing to pay the extra money. I have a feeling that by the time this new DLC/retail disc comes out, the previous two DLC packs may become free (since no one, I hope, will be dumb enough to buy them at that time)."
    Couldn't agree more!
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By Tordah

This further proves my point that DLC for consoles is overpriced and stupid. I can't believe people actually pay for silly map-packs and such but unfortunately that's the trend these days. Maybe I'm just a cynical PC gamer at heart who is used to being able to download tons of maps, add-ons and mods for my games for FREE but I don't like the direction the industry is taking one bit.

The retail disc actually seems like a release with some value to it that might actually be worth buying someday. It's always worth waiting for good deals or bundles!

XuShin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By XuShin

Dang i must just have to dust off My Xbox 360 now...

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ma7moud
    Vinchenzo said:
    "I already bought the previous two map packs. What. Fucking. Bullshit. I'm never supporting EPIC games again. Congratulations, you lost a customer.

Stupid fucking Cliffy B. Go hump a tree you douche!
    "
    I have also Bought both Maps and I'm not really Pissed. Because the Snowblind Map pack will be 4 month old when its available with the All Front and the combustible will be 7 month old. So Its just like Buying a $60 game on Day one and after month you find its price Dropped to $30..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.