Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Next Gears Of War should not have multiplayer

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

And the reason is because Epic just doesn't know how to do it. Not only is there a basic team deathmatch absent (with respawns), but there are only a few weapons that are horribly unbalanced and the lag is fucking terrible. If the next Gears just had Horde and no multiplayer, it would be the best in the series.

/rant

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By RedSox8933

I don't even think there should be a new Gears. Frankly, we didn't need a second one. The first one sucked and it should have ended there.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By crunchUK

i get the impression you are not much good at gears 2. Just suffered a pounding online have we?

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

Don't need another Gears of War.  They accidentally made a fun multiplayer game at first, but then in the second game when they actually tried to spruce up the multiplayer, they totally borked it up.  I don't think they know what they're doing.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By brukaoru

I disagree. I've had tons of fun playing online matches. Sure, there can be some problems with lags and glitches, but it's not bad enough to stop me from playing. Also, there will certainly be another Gears. Maybe they can fix things better with the next game, and even if they don't, they'll release patches.

Either way, some people are going to hate the online and some are going to enjoy it. If you don't want to play multiplayer you don't have to, so why not just have it in there along with the single player for you?

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GnaTSoL

So, Gears of War's team-deathmatch mode is like Counter-strike's style of gameplay? The no respawns in Counter-strike never really annoyed me, but sadly I haven't played a Gears of War game yet.

Don't know what I'm missing or not missing. :(

I personally will never buy a game with no online multiplayer. The value of a single-player only game feels off cause they're usually short in like FPS, Action, etc, so I only buy these types of games only used or at a very low price. I only seldomely buy RPGs cause of their length. Endless fun with Online-multiplayer. :)

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Mushir

Just because something didn't work that well the first time doesn't mean they should just scrap it. I would like for them to look at the competitors and improve the online experience.

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ma7moud

You should have waited for the third Title Update to be released before making this thread. Because hopefully it will be a lot more improved.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Lashe

Keep the co-op mind you. The Gears games are fantastic with a friend.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gmanall

They need to make it good

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Still kicking myself for buying the LE version of Gears 2. Thought I would have a blast with it online, and would beat the Campaign three times over (like I did for the first).

Turns out the campaign didn't give me enough interest to play it even a second time, and the multiplayer was completely broken.

I think the thing that is putting me off is the slow single player. I remember it took me a good two hours into it before I actually got into it.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By natetodamax
    Ma7moud said:
    "You should have waited for the third Title Update to be released before making this thread. Because hopefully it will be a lot more improved. "
    Yeah, I'm gonna hold off until that comes out before I start playing it again. I'll be getting the new maps the 31st seeing as I have all the other ones.
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kratos81
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "Don't need another Gears of War.  They accidentally made a fun multiplayer game at first, but then in the second game when they actually tried to spruce up the multiplayer, they totally borked it up.  I don't think they know what they're doing."
    I totally agree with this, I heard the mp in the first gears was a after thought, turned out to be a huge success. Gears2 took almost everything that made gears fun and fucked it up.
    Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Superchris129
    Kratos81 said:
     I totally agree with this, I heard th-
    You should have stopped right there. Don't bash a game until you've given it a chance. Then you can bash the living fuck out of it. A lot of people think that Gears 2 is fun.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By RHCPfan24

You should have gotten Knothole ;)

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By turbomonkey138

like it or not there is still going to be a gears 3 .... its the main problem with the games industry these days  . If it makes money make more .

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By natetodamax
    RHCPfan24 said:
    "You should have gotten Knothole ;)"
    Haha, I c wat u did thar. I haven't purchased anything yet, so I still have my 800 points. I decided against Knothole because first of all, the game isn't even mine, it's my brothers, and second, the act of running around activating a million flit switches didn't appeal to me. Plus, I only get 100 achieveables from it, so I didn't see much value to it.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24
    natetodamax said:
    "RHCPfan24 said:
    "You should have gotten Knothole ;)"
    Haha, I c wat u did thar. I haven't purchased anything yet, so I still have my 800 points. I decided against Knothole because first of all, the game isn't even mine, it's my brothers, and second, the act of running around activating a million flit switches didn't appeal to me. Plus, I only get 100 achieveables from it, so I didn't see much value to it."
    I found the pack very entertaining but, then again, I liked the dungeons in Fable 2. If that turns you off, then you make not like it as much. However, the quest really isn't the part that made me like the pack so much; it was more of the environment (with beautiful graphics) and the random stuff you get. There is a lot of cool crap you can attain and if you (SPOILERS AHOY) "offed" your dog at the end of the game, you can revive it here. That is a very good feature, on my opinion. And the achievements are all easily attainable, granted you use an internet guide for them. Still, the pack comes with my recommendation.
    crunkmeisterJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crunkmeisterJT
    TheSmilingDude said:
    "

Main problem is with consumers being retards that simply do not care what they are spending money on... And once they have spent money they definitly won't look for anything wrong with their purchase because god forbid they made a mistake to learn  from...

"
    Well, I think that's pretty much what we're acknowledging here. We care that gears 2 multiplayer is horrendous, but I loved (and love) gears 1 to this day, and I think it wasn't us being stupid by buying gears 2, and we can have hope that epic may improve multiplayer for gears 3... which is inevitably coming out.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Diamond

I agree but that's because I never cared for Gears multiplayer and I'm more of a single player kind of gamer.  The next game in EVERY series should be single player only.  No coop, no MP.

Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming

I think that the story is a little mediocre.  Mind you, I enjoyed the story of Gears 1 over Gears 2, but neither were causing me to be engrossed in it.  On the multiplayer side,  I've found the same general problem with both Gears 1 and 2.  There are just issues (scratch it up to lag, fps, connection issues, host, etc.) where you find yourself screaming, "How did that even happen!?", or, "How is that even possible!?"  You know what  I'm talking about. ;)

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iamjohn

No, I just want them to make it balanced.  Gears has great multiplayer; the problem is, playing online is no goddamn fun because it's so exploitable.

Also, straight-up team deathmatch would be terrible in Gears and would make absolutely no sense.
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheGremp

I agree that the multi-player wasn't nearly as good as in the first one, but the idea of totally getting rid of multiplayer seems absurd to me.

There would definitely be more complaints about a lack of a MP in the first place, rather than the quality of it.  Taking a game that has relied so much on it's multiplayer experience, and scrapping the multiplayer would take away from the game rather than add to it.  That would result in a Gears of War 1.5 of sorts....  Why make that?

Avatar image for fatalpunishment
    FatalPunishment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By FatalPunishment

If Epic can get their own servers instead of bouncing it off other players connections, online will be amazing.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By dsplayer1010
    Gmanall said:
    "They need to make it good"

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bjorno

This topic is hilarious.

gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

imo the multiplayer is really good.  however the bugs and lag really detract from the experience. if they have a mp beta for gears 3 i think a lot of those problems would be solved

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xplodedd

the gears of war single player is awesome,
    but in multiplayer there are too much bugs, and lag and connection issues...

and this guy should eff off
    bjorno said:

"This topic is hilarious."

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crunchUK
    gimmysumcowbel said:
    "imo the multiplayer is really good.  however the bugs and lag really detract from the experience. if they have a mp beta for gears 3 i think a lot of those problems would be solved"
    Why they didn't have a beta for gears 2 is beyond me...
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By xMP44x

I've never had a problem with lag in Gears of War 2. I have had major lag problems in Gears of War though. The weapons aren't really imbalanced - the assault rifles are under rated.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By ShadowKiller

I never played multiplayer before title update 3 but it takes me ages to find matches online. Other than that I think it's fine.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pause422

It doesn't matter what your opinion really is on this...you know they would never strip the multiplayer from Gears.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crunchUK
    xMP44x said:
    "I've never had a problem with lag in Gears of War 2. I have had major lag problems in Gears of War though. The weapons aren't really imbalanced - the assault rifles are under rated."
    Hammerburst pretty much kills at the speed of a flamethrower with 4 times the range
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Captain_Fookup

The previous incarnations on the multiplayer was completely broken, Title Update 3 has since fixed a majority of the problems. The only real problem that remains is the hosting of public matches in regards to pitting .  If there was a region lock for multiplayer I would give Cliffy B. a reach around rather than a black eye if our paths ever cross.

jonjonfiveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jonjonfiveO
    seram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By seram

Patching a game like Gears of War 2 is only making a broken game a bit less broken. Patching a game like Gears of War 2 with 3 major patches and still having issues is embarrassing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.