Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

SPOILERS! Gears 2 was great but...

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vlademir

I wont go into detail about what I'm talking about just incase someone comes here who hasn't finished the game so anyways...

I just finished the Gears 2 hardcore campaign with a friend and loved every minute of it (especially the heart surgery :P), and the last boss looked so amazing and fun to fight but it was a real letdown when you finally kill him. I was thinking to myself "was that it?" and it was... He was way to easy to kill especially because there was no way you could die since you were in the helicopter. 

The whole game was great and a lot longer than the first but I just with they made the last boss fight a little (or a lot) more challenging.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

You right, I was expecting a more challenging ending but I'm almost glad that I didn't have to go through another RAAM again...

Avatar image for darkenzanarikado
    DarkEnzanArikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DarkEnzanArikado

Yeah, I agree with that. Fun game though.

Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By VitaminWaterYum

The scene with Maria was effed up.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By daniel_beck_90

after being F'ed up by General raam I appreciated an easy boss  :D

tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tmontana1004

Agreed although it was extremely epic. Oh and RAAM SUX!

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Crayola said:
    "The scene with Maria was effed up."
    Tell me about it. I teared up.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Crayola said:
    Tell me about it. I teared up."
    you're kidding me. The 'emotional' attempts in a game like this are like a serious moving trying to be funny by throwing a joke at you, its not funny at all, and you're not sure if they actually intend it to be or not. I just laughed at all that, honestly. Its not the right tone of game for it at all.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By brukaoru
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    That was a sad part indeed, I almost started to cry.

pause422 said:
    "you're kidding me. The 'emotional' attempts in a game like this are like a serious moving trying to be funny by throwing a joke at you, its not funny at all, and you're not sure if they actually intend it to be or not. I just laughed at all that, honestly. Its not the right tone of game for it at all."
     I thought the emotional parts were great... To each their own.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Milkman
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Crayola said:
    That's maybe a bit extreme there...I mean, it was messed up but there is no way I'd every get teary eyed over a game like Gears of War.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pause422

I don't know, I think I find it harder, with the overall tone of the game, and everyone being this huge tough dude, that them feeling something like that just doesn't seem right to me. I looked at a few reviews and they said this same thing, so I was interested to see if I felt the same way, and I pretty much did. I think because except for that one part really, the rest of the game has a normal pacing, and they're just killing everything and being themselves it seems. I still overall thought just the first act alone was better than the entire game of Gears 1, so it was overall much better imo. Just the on rails like sequences on Insane are going to be bullshit, I can tell already.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Burns09

I liked the last boss. Did not ruin the  moment at the end by having to repeat the fight like 10 times.

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Wolswor
    brukaoru said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:

pause422 said:
    "you're kidding me. The 'emotional' attempts in a game like this are like a serious moving trying to be funny by throwing a joke at you, its not funny at all, and you're not sure if they actually intend it to be or not. I just laughed at all that, honestly. Its not the right tone of game for it at all."
     I thought the emotional parts were great... To each their own."
    Go play a Final Fantasy game or hell, even The Darkness.  Those moments actually try to impact you.  GoW 2's big emotional moment didn't even do anything because you never even get to know Dom's relationship with Maria other than "OMG MARIA I FOUND U BUT UR TOO SKIINY FUR MEH!'
    MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MaddProdigy

By that point i was way tired of having to restart like 5 times  on boss fights because random stuff kept killing me, so it was a relief to just sit back and watch it burn, but if i hadn't been playing for about 10 hrs straight i'm sure i would have wanted a bit more out of the final fight, yea

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Wolswor said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:

pause422 said:
    Go play a Final Fantasy game or hell, even The Darkness.  Those moments actually try to impact you.  GoW 2's big emotional moment didn't even do anything because you never even get to know Dom's relationship with Maria other than "OMG MARIA I FOUND U BUT UR TOO SKIINY FUR MEH!'"
    I'm sorry everything has to be spoon fed for you.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By brukaoru
    Wolswor said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "I thought the emotional parts were great... To each their own."
    Go play a Final Fantasy game or hell, even The Darkness.  Those moments actually try to impact you.  GoW 2's big emotional moment didn't even do anything because you never even get to know Dom's relationship with Maria other than "OMG MARIA I FOUND U BUT UR TOO SKIINY FUR MEH!'"
    I've played Final Fantasy games. I've also played more dramatic games. I just think that the emotional parts in Gears 2 weren't that bad, I thought they were executed well. Not the best I've seen, but they did make me feel sad. I don't know how much more you need to know about their relationship anyway. Husband, wife, loved each other, not much else to tell.
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By skunk
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Wolswor said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:

pause422 said:
    I'm sorry everything has to be spoon fed for you."
    I don't see how that has anything to do with spoon feeding anything to anyone. The fact is, you're just not invested enough in the relationship to care.  They just dump it in there like the whole Tai thing they went over in the bombcast, it was just totally unnecessary. I'm sorry but hearing a couple quotes and seeing a picture doesn't do jack for me. They needed to either have her in Gears 1 or extend the intro to have any sort of impact. Plus it was just way too obvious what was going to happen.
    tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tmontana1004

I laugh at the people who can't sit back and enjoy a story. Bu---bu-----they aren't Japanese super children!!!! WAAAAHH!!! Oh and the Bomb Crew would rip apart the story.

VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VitaminWaterYum
    skunk said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Wolswor said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:

pause422 said:
    I don't see how that has anything to do with spoon feeding anything to anyone. The fact is, you're just not invested enough in the relationship to care.  They just dump it in there like the whole Tai thing they went over in the bombcast, it was just totally unnecessary. I'm sorry but hearing a couple quotes and seeing a picture doesn't do jack for me. They needed to either have her in Gears 1 or extend the intro to have any sort of impact. Plus it was just way too obvious what was going to happen."
    She was in Gears 1...sort of.
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By skunk

^key word "sort of"
    that's just not good enough to have the gamer care about her.

Avatar image for crazyscreenwriter
    crazyscreenwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kept waiting for a rematch at the end with Skorge, and when it didn't happen and I basically walked all over the last boss I was kind of like, Really? That's how you want to end it? Wasn't bad; reminded me of Half-Life 2 where they basically made the player God for the last level, but still expecting a bit more.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By napalm
    pause422 said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Crayola said:
    you're kidding me. The 'emotional' attempts in a game like this are like a serious moving trying to be funny by throwing a joke at you, its not funny at all, and you're not sure if they actually intend it to be or not. I just laughed at all that, honestly. Its not the right tone of game for it at all."
    This is the opinion of a human who has no soul.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By KingBroly

I thought it was a weird sequence myself.  I didn't get emotional or anything, I just kind of struck there, dumbfounded at what I was seeing.  Then what happened after that brought me back to reality as it totally ruined everything that happened.

The final "boss" was a joke.  I definitely appreciate that it was easier than Raam, but at the same time, I expected a final challenge.

10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 10MP

WTF???! i had to restart on the final boss 4 times... kidding

the maria/prisoner parts was actually pretty sad but then im one of those people who can't stand human suffering.

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Manks

Maria part was well done.  I teared a little as well.  By far the most emotional/sad part of the Gears series.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Milkman
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Wolswor said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:

pause422 said:
    When you hear about someone dying on the news who you have never met before, do you cry? I sure as hell as don't. You feel bad but you won't be effected in the long run. In order to care about someone, you need to know that person. The only time you ever saw Maria was through the pictures. You never even heard her speak and never saw Dom and her together besides when you found her. You had no idea what Maria was like or what Dom and Maria were like as a couple. That being said, I didn't hate the scene. While it didn't really evoke a sad emotion, it definitely made your hatred of the Locust much stronger.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Milkman said:
    When you hear about someone dying on the news who you have never met before, do you cry? I sure as hell as don't. You feel bad but you won't be effected in the long run. In order to care about someone, you need to know that person. The only time you ever saw Maria was through the pictures. You never even heard her speak and never saw Dom and her together besides when you found her. You had no idea what Maria was like or what Dom and Maria were like as a couple. That being said, I didn't hate the scene. While it didn't really evoke a sad emotion, it definitely made your hatred of the Locust much stronger."
    This isn't entirely true.  There is a minor flashback Dom experiences when Delta is swallowed into the Worm.  It's not much, and I'm not saying it adds anything truly substantial, but you do see an interaction.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Cerza
    Milkman said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Wolswor said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:

pause422 said:
    When you hear about someone dying on the news who you have never met before, do you cry? I sure as hell as don't. You feel bad but you won't be effected in the long run. In order to care about someone, you need to know that person. The only time you ever saw Maria was through the pictures. You never even heard her speak and never saw Dom and her together besides when you found her. You had no idea what Maria was like or what Dom and Maria were like as a couple. That being said, I didn't hate the scene. While it didn't really evoke a sad emotion, it definitely made your hatred of the Locust much stronger."
    Now I don't mean to be a Pointy Pete, but you did get to see Maria speak. You get to see her speaking to Dom through Dom's eyes during that short flash back that plays immediately after you get eaten by the worm, then Dom wakes up and you find out you are in the worm. The scene is short, it doesn't show much, but it does show just enough to give you the necessary info on who Maria is, what she is like, what her and Dom's life together is like etc. So you feel terrible when you do find her and Dom kills her to end her suffering. I completely agree with you on it making you hate the Locust even more. I mean, hey it felt pretty good to kill that squad of Locusts you run into immedately after that scene.

That said, I'm not afraid to admit that scene made me really sad and bothered me. Hell, Tai, Carmine, and Maria's deaths all bothered me, but then they are supposed to. They're the three biggest scenes in the game in terms of emotion.

Also, just to get back on track for what this thread is about, I too felt a little gipped after beating the final boss. I liked how they worked the Hammer of Dawn into this one so it wasn't just some uber gun you carried around with you in like in the first Gears (I felt that was so lame and fake), but the Final Boss could have been better. It could have and should have been more challenging.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Milkman
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Milkman said:
    This isn't entirely true.  There is a minor flashback Dom experiences when Delta is swallowed into the Worm.  It's not much, and I'm not saying it adds anything truly substantial, but you do see an interaction."
    Yeah, I forgot about those. But still, those flashbacks only last a few seconds and are still not nearly enough to get me to care at all about Maria.
    agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By agent_lost

the last boss fight was ok, since you got the epic moment with the brumak. Also what happen to Dizzy?? Is his death or what?

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wolswor
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Wolswor said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:

pause422 said:
    I'm sorry you don't know the art of telling a story.  You can't just show a character once and then have them die and think "wow this is gonna be such a grand impact".  Here, I'll show you ALL that we know about Maria from what Dom says "you seen her yet?"  "did this women come by?"  "Marcus if I die look out for Maria, ok?"  "did you find Maria yet?"  there.  We never even SEE her normally except for 25 seconds in a flashback where she says "Wake up!"  Yeah, Grade A story right there. 
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wefwefasdf

You can assume the emotional connection between them. It just takes a little bit imagination. Can you imagine all the things the locusts did to her? All the things to Tai? There is a lot shown as far the acting in there that the player has to pick up on.

Someone mentioned Final Fantasy for stories but seriously, practically all you do is read wall and wall of text. 
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VitaminWaterYum

To me the emotional part wasn't necesarrily Maria dying, but knowing that Dom had been looking for her all this time and even having a glimmer of hope that she was still alright only to find that by the time he got to her she was little more than an emaciated corpse.

Pretty effed up.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Crayola said:
    "To me the emotional part wasn't nessecarily Maria dieing, but knowing that Dom had been looking for her all this time and even having a glimmer of hope that she was still alright only to find that by the time he got to her she was little more than an emaciated corpse.

Pretty effed up."
    Exactly. Not necessarily that Maria died but the emotional attachment.
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wolswor
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "You can assume the emotional connection between them. It just takes a little bit imagination. Can you imagine all the things the locusts did to her? All the things to Tai? There is a lot shown as far the acting in there that the player has to pick up on.
    Someone mentioned Final Fantasy for stories but seriously, practically all you do is read wall and wall of text. 
    "
    All of the things done to him in the span of.....30 minutes?  WOooooo, after being told time and time again "Tai is crazy un-killable, like a brumak" he breaks very very easily.  And if you can't read then go play the darkness as I said before, it is ALOT more emotional than Gears.  Gears goes from slow-motion "COLES SO COOL!!!!" to serious.  It's laughable how they tried to suddenly make their game seem to appeal emotionally as well.  As if someone told them their game is just a gore-fest and they decided to add that in the last 15 seconds.
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By VitaminWaterYum
    Wolswor said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:
    "You can assume the emotional connection between them. It just takes a little bit imagination. Can you imagine all the things the locusts did to her? All the things to Tai? There is a lot shown as far the acting in there that the player has to pick up on.
    "
    All of the things done to him in the span of.....30 minutes?  WOooooo, after being told time and time again "Tai is crazy un-killable, like a brumak" he breaks very very easily.  And if you can't read then go play the darkness as I said before, it is ALOT more emotional than Gears.  Gears goes from slow-motion "COLES SO COOL!!!!" to serious.  It's laughable how they tried to suddenly make their game seem to appeal emotionally as well.  As if someone told them their game is just a gore-fest and they decided to add that in the last 15 seconds."

Dude Tai had hooks coming out of his back.

And what do you mean they tried to add it in at the last minute? Dom's been searching for Maria since the beginning of the first game.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By keyhunter

The final boss was well animated, had good graphics, and that's all I care about.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wefwefasdf

You can't have a game that is serious and funny? The Darkness was crap. Seriously.

He breaks easily? Oh my god. I am officially no longer going to post in this thread. I can now tell how old you are.

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Wolswor
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "You can't have a game that is serious and funny? The Darkness was crap. Seriously.
    He breaks easily? Oh my god. I am officially no longer going to post in this thread. I can now tell how old you are.

"
    What?  That doesn't even make any sense, way to be a complete tool using that argument, sorry I insulted a game you're an obvious fanboy of.
    Oh and by the way, are you honestly gonna sit there and tell me that the scene with Jenny dieing "sucked" but the scene with Maria brought a tear to your eye? STFU hypocrite
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HandsomeDead

That last boss was so awful. Talk about ending on a bum note.

Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Video_Tycoon

I totally hated the Carmine thing, the Tai thing and the Maria thing.  They just shove the characters in 2-3 scenes and they *spoilers* die.

DestroyerA92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DestroyerA92

Ok i honestly just joined this to yell at a good number of you. You don't freaking understand good cinematics. They show how brave Tai is, and they make him a very likeable and stoic guy, who is unkillable. THEY DIDNT KILL HIM, HE COMMITS SUICIDE!!!! Although it is left to the imagination, i really dont think that Tai "broke" easily. You can infer from the hooks in his back and baird's comment ("i told you man, i could hear them screaming from the docks!") that what they did to Tai was painful and traumatic. Again, ITS FREAKING TORTURE. I bet Fenix, Dom, or even Cole wouldn't have survived Skorg's assault, much less lasted in torture and imprisonment!! 

Also, Maria's death almost made me cry too, because i was really rooting for Dom. I mean, he has been looking for his lost wife since the beginning of the first game, they just bring it to the attention of the player in this one. instead of being just backstory, it is right there, and it is very powerful. Sure, they didn't show the entire history of their marriage. And sure, it wasn't exactly well fleshed out, but that's the beauty of good games. They play on your emotions. People understand the bond between a man and woman who love each other. And that's what makes it that much stronger. The fact that Dom found maria, but she was like that... No man in the world would have been able to just sit there and laugh (well, unless you have no soul). Seriously, this game was a lot better than the original. They could have just added some new shit, repackaged Gears 1, and sold it. But they didn't. They added a lot to the gameplay, like the new chainsaw kill, the new uses for the chainsaw, human shields, and the crawling to safety. The new guns and weapons are amazing (i wish we could use skorg's chainsaw staff) and the game is better as a whole. 
    And seriously, did you expect anyone in Gears of War with the last name of CARMINE to survive? At least they did a little better with his death than his brother's just getting shot in the head. 
    And I will miss Dizzy.
    Oh, and how do you kill skorg?!
    DestroyerA92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DestroyerA92
    Wolswor said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:

pause422 said:
    Go play a Final Fantasy game or hell, even The Darkness.  Those moments actually try to impact you.  GoW 2's big emotional moment didn't even do anything because you never even get to know Dom's relationship with Maria other than "OMG MARIA I FOUND U BUT UR TOO SKIINY FUR MEH!'"..
    .....are you fucking kidding? SHE LOOKED LIKE SHE WAS ALREADY DEAD! I THOUGHT SHE WAS FOR LIKE THE ENTIRE SCENE TIL HER EYES MOVED AND DOM SHOT HER! I was expecting just a skeleton or something, but no! SHE WAS STILL ALIVE!!! that was so fucked up! i mean, i thought he was going to get closure....not have to do it himself!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.