SPOILERS: Homage or a rip-off?

#1 Posted by HouseOfWolves (99 posts) -

The ending reminded me of the end of Metal Gear Solid 4. The same controls, camera angle, and the mysterious clip at the end of the credits.

Did anyone else notice that?

#2 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

You seriously bumped your own topic after 20 minutes? Sorry, that's not what goes on here at GiantBomb.

#3 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

^ Agreed.

I liked the homage to Metal Slug with that buggie.

#4 Posted by MattyFTM (14247 posts) -

Is there really a difference between a homage and a rip-off? To me they always seem like negative and positive ways to describe exactly the same thing.

#5 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

Actually, every Metal Gear Solid has had an ending like that. Just for the record.

#6 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

The entire game felt like an homage to the original Gears of War though the use of a chainsaw was such a rip-off of Doom.

#7 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
HouseOfWolves said:
"albedos_shadow said:
"Actually, every Metal Gear Solid has had an ending like that. Just for the record."
Yes, I am aware of that.

Now that everyone has nit-picked at every fucking word I posted in the thread, I was wondering if anyone noticed the ending was similar to MGS."
Uhh, the ending to MGS is an homage to the ending of LumberJack Man for the Master System.
#8 Posted by HouseOfWolves (99 posts) -

Watevar. Delete.

#9 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"Is there really a difference between a homage and a rip-off? To me they always seem like negative and positive ways to describe exactly the same thing."
A rip-off is a straight-up jacking of something, and an homage is cleverly using the same/similar tactic/item/whatever.
#10 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

lol flood

#11 Posted by Gylature (7 posts) -

If anything is a rip off take a look at the

Spoilers

Sires, I mean come on they even attack like the Flood.  Not to mention that final boss, didn't I see that in Halo 2.  And the Queen speaking through speakers egging her troops on while your attacking the palace, definitely not out of Halo 2.
#12 Posted by MattyFTM (14247 posts) -
Napalm said:
"MattyFTM said:
"Is there really a difference between a homage and a rip-off? To me they always seem like negative and positive ways to describe exactly the same thing."
A rip-off is a straight-up jacking of something, and an homage is cleverly using the same/similar tactic/item/whatever."
I know the actual definitions, but it seems like in the modern uses of the words they're just different ways of describing the same thing.
#13 Posted by Hector (3346 posts) -

No.. no homage or rip off. Gears has nothing to do with MGS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.