Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

They're TOTALLY working on Gears 3 right now

• 91 results
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cheapoz

...and I couldn't be any more excited. 

There's a thread on Epic's forums (by Lee Perry, Senior Gameplay Designer) discussing what they can do with the Shotgun. They've made it very clear they're not asking because they're going to patch Gears 2. But put 2 and 2 together, and you just know they're looking at the weapon for Gears 3. 

It's pretty much a no brainer, but as Gears is my favourite franchise (I realise it's not the best, it's just my favourite), I'm pretty damn excited!

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mushir

Or maybe it's for a different game by them? They don't have to only make Gears games you know.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

I would assume that work on Gears 3 started even before Gears 2 was out. This shouldn't be news.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I feel like I should be excited by the idea of a third Gears of War, but I was pretty underwhelmed by Gears 2. I mean, I still occasionally play Horde, but overall the game just didn't sit with me as well as the first one did.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Pie

You dont say...

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Venatio

I really liked the single player portion of Gears 2 and that was the biggest reason to why I bought it, but I thought the online multiplayer was so damn terrible, I sure hope its better in Gears 3

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rhaknar

ms needs something big for holiday 2010, and halo reach is may...so yeah, gears 3 is out next year

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to be called Tears of War, and will be an RTS where you build and establish a refugee camp. Resource management will be crucial.

The Irish Nun class will have shotguns.

Check your six, Sister Concepta.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Gears 1: 2006 
    Gears 2: 2008 
    Gears 3: 2010 sureley.  

I'm amazed anybody would assume otherwise.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

There's a good chance they may be jotting down ideas for a Gear 4 at this point.  It's a big series and they need to keep these coming.
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bicycleham

Shotgun that shoots chainsaws?

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By RobotHamster

Yea im really into the whole universe of gears, i've even read both books too.  I think that the game will pick up where the last book left off, (SPOILER) on that island which I forgot the name.  They just better fix that shitty online lag, damn Cliffy B.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArchScabby

Man, who would have seen that coming?

A Gears 3?  NO WAY!  I never thought I'd live to see the day.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By jkz
    @Venatio said:
    " I really liked the single player portion of Gears 2 and that was the biggest reason to why I bought it, but I thought the online multiplayer was so damn terrible, I sure hope its better in Gears 3 "
    I agree here. The insane balancing issues (particularly with *gasp*, the shotgun) really ruined the experience for me.

But yeah considering the type of franchise this is, did anyone expect them not to have started work on its 3rd iteration?
    krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By krazy_kyle

meh... I like the story in Gears but multiplayer is too glitchy and laggy for my liking

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 71Ranchero

I want them to make a crossover UT/Gears franchise. 

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crunchUK
    @Venatio said:
    " I really liked the single player portion of Gears 2 and that was the biggest reason to why I bought it, but I thought the online multiplayer was so damn terrible, I sure hope its better in Gears 3 "
    Agreed. You just got the sense that if it had actually been thought out properly it would have been awesome
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @crunchUK said:
    " @Venatio said:
    Agreed. You just got the sense that if it had actually been thought out properly it would have been awesome "
    My thoughts as well. I'm keeping my expectations low for Gears 3 though but I don't want to be disappointed again...
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Griddler

Surprised?

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FireBurger
    @Meowayne said:
    " I would assume that work on Gears 3 started even before Gears 2 was out. This shouldn't be news. "
    Yeah, sequel development, especially for series that are already planned trilogies, usually begins right after or even during the development of the first game.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crunchUK
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " @Venatio said:
    Agreed. You just got the sense that if it had actually been thought out properly it would have been awesome "
    My thoughts as well. I'm keeping my expectations low for Gears 3 though but I don't want to be disappointed again... "
    Basically, they need to scrap the shotgun (or make it a power weapon like in halo 3), make everything faster paced, as in increased running while aiming speed, damage ratios, etc and finally they need to actually design the maps properly, with a decent spawn system (like in halo 3) instead of throwing together a load of nonfunctional crap. 

Oh and have a DECENT matchmaking system (...like halo 3)

Then i reckon, you would have an excellent multiplayer mode.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jkz
    @crunchUK said:

" @SpikeSpiegel said:

" @crunchUK said:

" @Venatio said:
    My thoughts as well. I'm keeping my expectations low for Gears 3 though but I don't want to be disappointed again... "
    Basically, they need to scrap the shotgun (or make it a power weapon like in halo 3), make everything faster paced, as in increased running while aiming speed, damage ratios, etc and finally they need to actually design the maps properly, with a decent spawn system (like in halo 3) instead of throwing together a load of nonfunctional crap.   Oh and have a DECENT matchmaking system (...like halo 3)  Then i reckon, you would have an excellent multiplayer mode. "
    Oh. So, like, if they make it Halo 3 in third person it'll be good, right?

...I love you crunch
    gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By gearhead

I bet the day that Gears 3 ships with the fixed multiplayer for Gears will be in 2012.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ZenaxPure

I am a huge fan of both the original and even more so number 2 (I played a ton before the leveling system was added and I am level 43 in the current system, also played through the campaign 3 times now) Needless to say I am insanely excited for Gears 3. 

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crunchUK
    @jukezypoo said:

" @crunchUK said:

" @SpikeSpiegel said:

" @crunchUK said:

" @Venatio said:
    Basically, they need to scrap the shotgun (or make it a power weapon like in halo 3), make everything faster paced, as in increased running while aiming speed, damage ratios, etc and finally they need to actually design the maps properly, with a decent spawn system (like in halo 3) instead of throwing together a load of nonfunctional crap.   Oh and have a DECENT matchmaking system (...like halo 3)  Then i reckon, you would have an excellent multiplayer mode. "
    Oh. So, like, if they make it Halo 3 in third person it'll be good, right?  ...I love you crunch "
    If you weren't an idiot jumping to conclusions just because i posted (like in halo 3) to certain points i might consider a response back. Because what you're essentially implying is that any game with a good spawn system, good maps, and good matchmaking is halo 3. Actually that isn't too far off the mark. Well done.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26  Edited By Crono
    @Xolare said:
    " Shotgun that shoots chainsaws? "
    hahahaha BIGGER, BADDER, MORE BADASS!
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @zudthespud said:
    " Gears 1: 2006 Gears 2: 2008 Gears 3: 2010 sureley.    I'm amazed anybody would assume otherwise. "
    This. Absolutely this.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By zombie2011
    @zudthespud said:

" Gears 1: 2006 Gears 2: 2008 Gears 3: 2010 sureley.    I'm amazed anybody would assume otherwise. "

I kinda assumed Gears 3 would come out in 2011 seeing Halo: Reach comes out in 2010, and i'm not sure if MS would release their two biggest franchises within a couple months. 

I loved Gears 2 i thought it was great, the story was decent but i loved environments in that game. I love the art design in Gears of War so i'm excited to see what there gonna do for the next game. Hopefully the bring back the Berserkers and the Kryll.
    TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheDoorman

I  dont know if I'll get a Gears 3 if it comes out, I'd liked the first gears of war  a lot and when gears of war 2 came out I was very dissappointed. I hope they bring back the shotty from the original gears and make it like a pickup instead of a starter weapon.
    MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MKHavoc

They would have to be working on it from now since Microsoft wants to keep alternating between Gears of War and Halo each year.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Venatio said:
    Same here.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By EVO

Perhaps it's because I didn't play it until 2 years after release, perhaps it's because I hated the story, the characters and the art style, perhaps it's because I never played multiplayer, perhaps it's because Uncharted left me spoiled, perhaps it's because I played it stoned. But for the most part I found Gears mostly forgettable and highly overrated.

So personally, I don't see the appeal in Gears 2, let alone Gears 3.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By AndrewB

I could have told you they're making a Gears 3 game the moment the first game was released. Not really a big surprise there.The big question was would it be for this generation, or for Microsoft's next generation. Considering the length that this generation is going to go on for, I'd put my money on this gen, which means it will be coming out pretty soon, since they don't need to re-work another engine into it.

I'd also be willing to put money down on a Gears 4.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
    @Rhaknar said:
    " ms needs something big for holiday 2010, and halo reach is may...so yeah, gears 3 is out next year "
    Halo: Reach, Gears of War 3, and Fable 3, all set to release next fall? *Head Explodes*
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By JJWeatherman

Well of course they are.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36  Edited By Hector
    @Xolare said:
    " Shotgun that shoots chainsaws? "
    Shotgun that shoot Cog Soldiers holding chainsaw assault rifles.
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RaikohBlade

They need to make multiplayer more accessible in Gears 3. For someone who hasn't really spent time to get good at it, it is really frustrating to not be able to do much. On the other hand, in a game of Halo 3, even if you don't know too much about the game you can still have some fun. Yeah, these are vague complaints, but whatever. I would say they need to make the campaign longer than the Gears 2 campaign and make sure to tie up all the loose ends in the story. I am sure the graphics will be amazing as always, as the the Unreal Engine rarely fails to impress.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By crunchUK
    @RaikohBlade said:
    " They need to make multiplayer more accessible in Gears 3. For someone who hasn't really spent time to get good at it, it is really frustrating to not be able to do much. On the other hand, in a game of Halo 3, even if you don't know too much about the game you can still have some fun. Yeah, these are vague complaints, but whatever. I would say they need to make the campaign longer than the Gears 2 campaign and make sure to tie up all the loose ends in the story. I am sure the graphics will be amazing as always, as the the Unreal Engine rarely fails to impress. "
    That's because halo 3 matches you up against similarly skilled players. Geras 2 (to my knowledge) does not.
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @crunchUK said:
    " @RaikohBlade said:
    " They need to make multiplayer more accessible in Gears 3. For someone who hasn't really spent time to get good at it, it is really frustrating to not be able to do much. On the other hand, in a game of Halo 3, even if you don't know too much about the game you can still have some fun. Yeah, these are vague complaints, but whatever. I would say they need to make the campaign longer than the Gears 2 campaign and make sure to tie up all the loose ends in the story. I am sure the graphics will be amazing as always, as the the Unreal Engine rarely fails to impress. "
    That's because halo 3 matches you up against similarly skilled players. Geras 2 (to my knowledge) does not. "
    I thought that every Xbox Live game used the TrueSkill matchmaking/ranking system. Maybe Gears 2 just fails at it. That brings up another issue, matchmaking was absolutely horrid in Gears 2. I don't think I need to explain how bad that matchmaking was. I didn't play much after the patch, but to my knowledge it wasn't a whole lot better.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Karmum

I'm not surprised. They probably have been planning ever since Gears 2 has been released. Two successful games both critically and sales wise, why wouldn't they make a third game? I hope they can rework the game so I can be addicted to it like the first one, and not like the second.

I loved Gears of War 2, don't get me wrong, but it didn't have that addicting feeling that the first didn't. Probably because the first one was more unique than the second.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Of course , GOW3 will obviously be released in November 2010 . 

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By crunchUK
    @RaikohBlade said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " @RaikohBlade said:
    That's because halo 3 matches you up against similarly skilled players. Geras 2 (to my knowledge) does not. "
    I thought that every Xbox Live game used the TrueSkill matchmaking/ranking system. Maybe Gears 2 just fails at it. That brings up another issue, matchmaking was absolutely horrid in Gears 2. I don't think I need to explain how bad that matchmaking was. I didn't play much after the patch, but to my knowledge it wasn't a whole lot better. "
    I thought they ditched it and started using that crummy exp system. Oh well. And no, it wasn't.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jkz
    @crunchUK said:
    " @jukezypoo said:

" @crunchUK said:

" @SpikeSpiegel said:

" @crunchUK said:

" @Venatio said:
    Oh. So, like, if they make it Halo 3 in third person it'll be good, right?  ...I love you crunch "
    If you weren't an idiot jumping to conclusions just because i posted (like in halo 3) to certain points i might consider a response back. Because what you're essentially implying is that any game with a good spawn system, good maps, and good matchmaking is halo 3. Actually that isn't too far off the mark. Well done. "
    Oy, calm thyself it was simply the number of times halo 3 was referenced. Consider my comment in bad taste, and let us move on; I meant no offense, and I don't feel like expending the effort in fully explaining my stance, flawed though it may have been.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By GunstarRed

Gears is never going to have a good multiplayer other than Horde, I love the game to bits (single player and horde mdoe) and I have really low expectations for what a 3rd game's multiplayer would be like... too much dice rolling when it comes to shotgun battles up close, weirdness and too many weapons that are one-hit kills.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mordukai

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DystopiaX
    @DarkGamerOO7 said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    " ms needs something big for holiday 2010, and halo reach is may...so yeah, gears 3 is out next year "
    Halo: Reach, Gears of War 3, and Fable 3, all set to release next fall? *Head Explodes* "
    May isn't exactly fall...lol. And was Halo: Reach confirmed for may? Cause then i missed it. Fable 3 too. How do i miss all these release dates? 
    Anyway, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about gears 3 for so long, I expect it'll make an appearance at e3. The thing about that is that they usually announce the game officially a year or two before release, so i could see Gears 3 for release fall '11.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By jakob187

I think they have a lot of problems from the Gears 2 multiplayer to fix before they worry about the shotgun. 

Regardless, yeah, Gears 3 will be next year.  Epic stated back during the development of Gears 2 that they hope for a two-year development cycle per game.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48  Edited By StarFoxA

Gears 2 always gives me penalties, underleveling me, and it erased all of my data in the game; since my disc is scratched i can't play the first two missions in the campaign, making it impossible for me to ever do anything else in the game.

I hate Gears 2.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By xyzygy

I remember seeing an article long ago which showed a female COG concept art possibility for the next game.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pause422

I honestly at this point could not care a single bit about Gears 3. Rent it to play co-op with my girlfriend, then take it back..Gears 2 and its gameplay and terrible online setup really got me uninterested in the entire franchise, and I couldnt care a less anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.