What do you think of the smoke grenades?

#1 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

I hated them at first how they knock you down, but after I played for I while I started to love them.  Now I think they are one of the funnest parts of the game

What about you?

#2 Posted by GioVANNI (1288 posts) -

Meh.

#3 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -

I like em...  Tag one on the wall and let your prey follow you right into it

#4 Posted by Prime20 (168 posts) -

I love them in everything but Annex and King of the hIll.

In everything else they act as a surprise attack that happens every once in a while. In KotH and Annex theres so much smoke thrown around its crazy.

#5 Posted by 10MP (311 posts) -

the stun affect shouldnt be as powerful as it is but w/e

#6 Posted by BoomBastick (11 posts) -
ArchScabby said:
"I hated them at first how they knock you down, but after I played for I while I started to love them.  Now I think they are one of the funnest parts of the game

What about you?"

It should be replacedd with Flash-bang grenade
#7 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
Prime20 said:
"I love them in everything but Annex and King of the hIll.

In everything else they act as a surprise attack that happens every once in a while. In KotH and Annex theres so much smoke thrown around its crazy."
I agree. They almost should be removed from those gametypes. Or, you have to pick them up.
#8 Posted by Milkman (16851 posts) -

The only thing I don't like about the smoke grenades is how they make you drop the meat flag in Submission.

#9 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
Milkman said:
"The only thing I don't like about the smoke grenades is how they make you drop the meat flag in Submission."
Yes! It makes Submission even more frustrating!
#10 Posted by boko52 (36 posts) -

I think the concept of them are great but they are too powerful they should like stun you like frags in gears one but not knock you over

#11 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
boko52 said:
"I think the concept of them are great but they are too powerful they should like stun you like frags in gears one but not knock you over"
I fell through the bridge on the map River once. Saved me but left me dumbfounded. 0_0
#12 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I believe they should have diminishing effects. That means, the more smoke grenades you are hit by in a round the less you are affected. What really pisses me off is when you are coming up from one, and another flies in to knock you back down.

#13 Posted by Prime20 (168 posts) -
SpikeSpiegel said:
"boko52 said:
"I think the concept of them are great but they are too powerful they should like stun you like frags in gears one but not knock you over"
I fell through the bridge on the map River once. Saved me but left me dumbfounded. 0_0"
LYou think thats weird, if someones directly under the bridge in canals and picking up the boomshot/torqueand gets hit by one, 9 times out of 10 they'll end up on top of the middle bridge.
That's pissed me off som many times i dotn evne bother trying to stop anyone under there anymore.
#14 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
Prime20 said:
"SpikeSpiegel said:
"boko52 said:
I fell through the bridge on the map River once. Saved me but left me dumbfounded. 0_0"
LYou think thats weird, if someones directly under the bridge in canals and picking up the boomshot/torqueand gets hit by one, 9 times out of 10 they'll end up on top of the middle bridge.
That's pissed me off som many times i dotn evne bother trying to stop anyone under there anymore."
hahaha That is pretty funny. It is like a secret escape route!
#15 Posted by ThePainkiller (39 posts) -

It pisses me off that the knockdown is so glitchy, they've made me fly through roofs multiple times and will just kill me.  They should just stun, not launch you.

#16 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -
#17 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

A cheap way to knock down an enemy and follow through with a shotgun to the face as they try to stand back up. It would been better implemented if the smoke nade worked as a stun grenade much like when an explosion goes off near your character and pauses to cover his face.

#18 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

they make matches really thrilling and also add a sense of strategy to the game

#19 Edited by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

They've just made the game far too cheap, in my opinion. So easy to throw one, knock someone over then storm in with the shotgun.

#20 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

The more I play with them the more I hate these things.

#21 Posted by Daeth_On_Demand (47 posts) -

Yeah, the more I use smoke grenades (more like, the more I have smoke grenades used against me), the more I loathe them.  Honestly, smoke grenades are the reason I hate Territory game types now.  Try dragging the meat flag to the objective in Submission when you have 5 player on the opposing team throwing smoke grenades at you.  Don't give me any of that, "Well if your team was good enough you would kill your opponents before they could throw their grenades" crap - it takes about a second to get off a decently accurate grenade, and that basically makes Submission and King of the Hill suck, big time.

#22 Posted by bjorno (1418 posts) -

They are no longer smoke grenades as the whole point of smoke grenades is to hide in the smoke while running through open areas, and now if you throw a smoke grenade and try to run through the smoke you end up knocking yourself over and getting chainsawed.

#23 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

As Bjorno stated: Smoke grenades no longer serve their purpose. They are now concussion grenades.

#24 Posted by Gun_Crazed_Riot (5 posts) -

Their alright, but they can get pretty annoying when you go running down a hall only to realize the ENTIRE other team has tagged it.=/

#25 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -

I dont think gears2 will have the staying power of gears1. I like the smoke gernades but like everything else in gears it is just another cheap way to win. 2 years ago when gears came out I thought the online was epic, now there are better games, and gears2 is fun but no longer the king. 

#26 Posted by hungrynun (444 posts) -

I rarely use them myself but when I do I use it for camo from place to place.

Also its incredibly easy to dodge the blast radius.

#27 Posted by Hostile_Dan (31 posts) -

I like SMOKE grenades, they are good for making quick cover, detering snipers and adding that bit more stratagy to your game. However, the 'smoke' grenades on GoW2 arn't really what they say they are. Yes they release smoke but they also blast you about 5-10ft in an impressive but dam annoying ragdoll effect. I think they've gone too far with them this year, especially as you can tag them to the walls.

The problem i find with them, like pretty much all of GoW2 is that it reduces the amount of 1 v 1 shotgun battles and generally slows the pace of the game down.  The fact that you can't step a foot into enemy territory without carefully scanning the enviroment for wall tags, and you can't chase retreating enemies as easily because 50% of the time it's a trap into their smoke tag, and most frustratingly you can't just run out shotguns blazing at the start of the match and charge to victory.

Some people may prefer the slower, more tactical style of play, personally i don't. I liked GoW1 because it gave you the choice, you could run out and shotgun, providing you had the skill (and it was a difficult weapon to master) or you could use lancers, powerweapons and stay in the shadows. Both valid tactics and GoW1 was a constant, but enjoyable battle between the two.

Now however your pretty much limited to staying back, biding your time and then making a rather clumsy attack in which you constantly avoid the dreaded 'smoke blast', leaving you like a helpless dog in the middle of the map.

I think a suitable compromise would have been to make smoke grenades that are tagged to walls on a timer, not proximity. It wouldn't solve all my problems with GoW2 but it would have been a nice concession.

#28 Posted by SilentMike485 (48 posts) -

Oh man, I both love & hate those damn smoke grenades.  They're hilarious though, when you hit or get hit..as soon as your a rag doll, you already know your dead.  Before you even get up, you're either chainsawed or blasted buy a f***ing gnasher.  Yeah I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the smoke grenades.

#29 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

smoke grenades are an important part of the game. They make your "camp" stronger or they can weaken your enemy defenses with one

#30 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -

They're ass.

Its just as annoying as hearing B-17 Bomber 50000 times. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.