Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

What do you think of the smoke grenades?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ArchScabby

I hated them at first how they knock you down, but after I played for I while I started to love them.  Now I think they are one of the funnest parts of the game

What about you?

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By GioVANNI

Meh.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bombHills

I like em...  Tag one on the wall and let your prey follow you right into it

Prime20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Prime20

I love them in everything but Annex and King of the hIll.

In everything else they act as a surprise attack that happens every once in a while. In KotH and Annex theres so much smoke thrown around its crazy.

10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By 10MP

the stun affect shouldnt be as powerful as it is but w/e

BoomBastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BoomBastick
    ArchScabby said:
    "I hated them at first how they knock you down, but after I played for I while I started to love them.  Now I think they are one of the funnest parts of the game

What about you?"

It should be replacedd with Flash-bang grenade
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Prime20 said:
    "I love them in everything but Annex and King of the hIll.

In everything else they act as a surprise attack that happens every once in a while. In KotH and Annex theres so much smoke thrown around its crazy."
    I agree. They almost should be removed from those gametypes. Or, you have to pick them up.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Milkman

The only thing I don't like about the smoke grenades is how they make you drop the meat flag in Submission.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Milkman said:
    "The only thing I don't like about the smoke grenades is how they make you drop the meat flag in Submission."
    Yes! It makes Submission even more frustrating!
    boko52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By boko52

I think the concept of them are great but they are too powerful they should like stun you like frags in gears one but not knock you over

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf
    boko52 said:
    "I think the concept of them are great but they are too powerful they should like stun you like frags in gears one but not knock you over"
    I fell through the bridge on the map River once. Saved me but left me dumbfounded. 0_0
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12  Edited By Vinchenzo

I believe they should have diminishing effects. That means, the more smoke grenades you are hit by in a round the less you are affected. What really pisses me off is when you are coming up from one, and another flies in to knock you back down.

Prime20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Prime20
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "boko52 said:
    "I think the concept of them are great but they are too powerful they should like stun you like frags in gears one but not knock you over"
    I fell through the bridge on the map River once. Saved me but left me dumbfounded. 0_0"
    LYou think thats weird, if someones directly under the bridge in canals and picking up the boomshot/torqueand gets hit by one, 9 times out of 10 they'll end up on top of the middle bridge.
    That's pissed me off som many times i dotn evne bother trying to stop anyone under there anymore.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Prime20 said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:
    "boko52 said:
    I fell through the bridge on the map River once. Saved me but left me dumbfounded. 0_0"
    LYou think thats weird, if someones directly under the bridge in canals and picking up the boomshot/torqueand gets hit by one, 9 times out of 10 they'll end up on top of the middle bridge.
    That's pissed me off som many times i dotn evne bother trying to stop anyone under there anymore."
    hahaha That is pretty funny. It is like a secret escape route!
    BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By BlackWaterCO
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Captain_Fookup

A cheap way to knock down an enemy and follow through with a shotgun to the face as they try to stand back up. It would been better implemented if the smoke nade worked as a stun grenade much like when an explosion goes off near your character and pauses to cover his face.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By daniel_beck_90

they make matches really thrilling and also add a sense of strategy to the game

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HandsomeDead

They've just made the game far too cheap, in my opinion. So easy to throw one, knock someone over then storm in with the shotgun.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wefwefasdf

The more I play with them the more I hate these things.

Avatar image for daeth_on_demand
    Daeth_On_Demand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Daeth_On_Demand

Yeah, the more I use smoke grenades (more like, the more I have smoke grenades used against me), the more I loathe them.  Honestly, smoke grenades are the reason I hate Territory game types now.  Try dragging the meat flag to the objective in Submission when you have 5 player on the opposing team throwing smoke grenades at you.  Don't give me any of that, "Well if your team was good enough you would kill your opponents before they could throw their grenades" crap - it takes about a second to get off a decently accurate grenade, and that basically makes Submission and King of the Hill suck, big time.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bjorno

They are no longer smoke grenades as the whole point of smoke grenades is to hide in the smoke while running through open areas, and now if you throw a smoke grenade and try to run through the smoke you end up knocking yourself over and getting chainsawed.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By keyhunter

As Bjorno stated: Smoke grenades no longer serve their purpose. They are now concussion grenades.

Avatar image for gun_crazed_riot
    Gun_Crazed_Riot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Gun_Crazed_Riot

Their alright, but they can get pretty annoying when you go running down a hall only to realize the ENTIRE other team has tagged it.=/

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kratos81

I dont think gears2 will have the staying power of gears1. I like the smoke gernades but like everything else in gears it is just another cheap way to win. 2 years ago when gears came out I thought the online was epic, now there are better games, and gears2 is fun but no longer the king. 

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By hungrynun

I rarely use them myself but when I do I use it for camo from place to place.

Also its incredibly easy to dodge the blast radius.

Hostile_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hostile_Dan

I like SMOKE grenades, they are good for making quick cover, detering snipers and adding that bit more stratagy to your game. However, the 'smoke' grenades on GoW2 arn't really what they say they are. Yes they release smoke but they also blast you about 5-10ft in an impressive but dam annoying ragdoll effect. I think they've gone too far with them this year, especially as you can tag them to the walls.

The problem i find with them, like pretty much all of GoW2 is that it reduces the amount of 1 v 1 shotgun battles and generally slows the pace of the game down.  The fact that you can't step a foot into enemy territory without carefully scanning the enviroment for wall tags, and you can't chase retreating enemies as easily because 50% of the time it's a trap into their smoke tag, and most frustratingly you can't just run out shotguns blazing at the start of the match and charge to victory.

Some people may prefer the slower, more tactical style of play, personally i don't. I liked GoW1 because it gave you the choice, you could run out and shotgun, providing you had the skill (and it was a difficult weapon to master) or you could use lancers, powerweapons and stay in the shadows. Both valid tactics and GoW1 was a constant, but enjoyable battle between the two.

Now however your pretty much limited to staying back, biding your time and then making a rather clumsy attack in which you constantly avoid the dreaded 'smoke blast', leaving you like a helpless dog in the middle of the map.

I think a suitable compromise would have been to make smoke grenades that are tagged to walls on a timer, not proximity. It wouldn't solve all my problems with GoW2 but it would have been a nice concession.

SilentMike485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SilentMike485

Oh man, I both love & hate those damn smoke grenades.  They're hilarious though, when you hit or get hit..as soon as your a rag doll, you already know your dead.  Before you even get up, you're either chainsawed or blasted buy a f***ing gnasher.  Yeah I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the smoke grenades.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crunchUK

smoke grenades are an important part of the game. They make your "camp" stronger or they can weaken your enemy defenses with one

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

They're ass.

Its just as annoying as hearing B-17 Bomber 50000 times. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.