What was that "meat cube" demo used for?

#1 Posted by AndrewGPM (111 posts) -

In Gears 2, what do they use the meat cube demo for?  I don't care about spoilers.
At what point does that tech make it in to the game? I am just curious because it looks awesome.

#2 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

Cliff B said that its going to be in game but surprisingly it wasn't in game.

#3 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Meat Cube?

#4 Posted by DragoonKain1687 (702 posts) -

It was some of the new physics engine technology, its barely noticeable, unless you are extremely meticulous. It was just a Tech Demo mostly, its most likely to hard to add as code to the actual game but keeping the same quality. I remember the old PS2 tech demos, they made things look like they do now, but of course, they were just rendering a single face and not a full action. Same thing here.

#5 Posted by AndrewGPM (111 posts) -

Ah. I was watching the GameTrailers video review and they said it was used for something in the game.
They said something along the lines of "just wait till you see what that meat cube demo was used for!"
No one likes a liar GT... no one likes a liar.

#6 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

I guess some of the physics stuff was in there in some of the levels. Spoilers in the "Worm lv" maybe and those blue plants on the previous lv.

#7 Posted by AndrewGPM (111 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4pe6UAS2M

For reference.
I googled it and I think it has to do with the final boss.

#8 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I'm pretty sure the meatcube demo to demonstrate the flesh psychics of the big monsters such as the brumaks. If you noticed when you shoot then, their skin kind of falls off and sheds realistically. I suppose this is what they meant.

#9 Posted by commodore64 (112 posts) -

There's no "meat cubes" specifically but lets just say there is a very "meaty" level that uses this tech.

#10 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

MEAT.

#11 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

I haven't played the game yet, so I don't know where it was specifically used, but it was a demonstration of the new soft-body physics capabilities of the new Unreal Engine.

#12 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

I have to say the new Unreal engine is really impressive. I wish they would have waited for this new build of the engine to make Unreal Tournament 3. That game was pretty bare  ones compared to 2k4, which had an upgraded unreal 2 that added all sorts of neat stuff.

#13 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
AndrewGPM said:
"Ah. I was watching the GameTrailers video review and they said it was used for something in the game.
They said something along the lines of "just wait till you see what that meat cube demo was used for!"
No one likes a liar GT... no one likes a liar."
GT is pretty good at misleading 
#14 Edited by AndrewGPM (111 posts) -
Napalm said:
"I'm pretty sure the meatcube demo to demonstrate the flesh psychics of the big monsters such as the brumaks. If you noticed when you shoot then, their skin kind of falls off and sheds realistically. I suppose this is what they meant."

This is all I was asking. Thank you!
#15 Posted by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -

They should have made the meat cube the locust leader.

#16 Posted by Valandil (109 posts) -
Black_Raven said:
"They should have made the meat cube the locust leader."
That would be badass indeed!
#17 Posted by Prime20 (168 posts) -
Black_Raven said:
I could picture my self saving the world by killing a giant thing of spam.

Hell there's toast in the game why not have some spam to go with it.
#18 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

I haven't noticed it

#19 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

that feature was used in :

1- Meat shield ( using the other locusts as shield )

2- the entire level took place inside the Giant Worm

#20 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -
Black_Raven said:

If this was true I would of had a lot more fun "fighting" the last boss.
#21 Posted by Unreal_dro (277 posts) -

Spoiler - 

Theres a Level inside a Worm (which is made of......meat) so basically everything on that level
#22 Posted by MKHavoc (1306 posts) -

I thought that was just to show off the unreal engine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.