Who the heck are the Locust?

#1 Posted by Gylature (7 posts) -

Theories, ideas, speculation...chances of spoilers are great.

Personally I can't come to grips with the idea of them being a human creation, but it seems illogical to assume they've just been down there the whole time.  So what they heck who are they?

#2 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
#3 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

The dudes you shoot in Gears of War.

#4 Posted by TheHBK (5407 posts) -

I have the idea that they are human decendants mutated to their present form by small exposure to immulsion.  With the humans drilling and digging, it seems illogical to think they would not have noticed the Locust before, so they have to be a recent creation.  Also, notice they are not alien and use human weaponry, with only a few weapons that seem to be locust specific like the torque bow.  They are humanoid and speak and seem to keep changing, they got to be some form of creation, accident.
Seriously, does no one ask why no one noticed them before?  On earth, people drilling for oil and exploring caves would notice a race of monsters, so why not on Sera?

#5 Posted by gla55jAw (2682 posts) -

but doesnt gears not take place on earth? ive always been confused about this,   

#6 Edited by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
gla55jAw said:
"but doesnt gears not take place on earth? ive always been confused about this,   "
Gears takes place on SERA. Not Earth. Problem solved. Earth does not exist in Gears of War. That page is wrong because it says the humans colonized Sera, which they didnt. They started there. Just like the locust.
#7 Posted by Prime20 (168 posts) -

My theory is that they, were just another weird species that lived peacefully underground until the humans found immulsion.

With the humans constantly pumping immusion, and infecting some of the locust turning them into lambent the un infected locust had no choice but to attack the humans to keep them from drilling and cut off reinforcements for the lambents.

Hell if Sera has Rift Worms, Rock Worms, and all other manners of beast native to the planet, why the hell wouldnt the Locust be a normal part of it.

#8 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Prime20 said:
"My theory is that they, were just another weird species that lived peacefully underground until the humans found immulsion.

With the humans constantly pumping immusion, and infecting some of the locust turning them into lambent the un infected locust had no choice but to attack the humans to keep them from drilling and cut off reinforcements for the lambents.

Hell if Sera has Rift Worms, Rock Worms, and all other manners of beast native to the planet, why the hell wouldnt the Locust be a normal part of it."
Yeah, that's my thought too. Though, I think it goes deeper than simply the human's drilling.
#9 Posted by Prime20 (168 posts) -

Hopefully thats revealed in part 3.

Cause if it isnt because of humans drilling for immulsion what could it be?

It could have something to do with that research facility, but if the most they could make was a bunch of locust-like subjects i doubt they coudl create something like full blown locust.

But then again it could be part of it considering the queen knows who Adam Fenix is.

Maybe the queen's using his DNA to make more locust drones
Cause i still cant picture one of the drones shacking up with a Berserker.

#10 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -
#11 Posted by DragoonKain1687 (702 posts) -

Maybe a group of people decided to go Rogue, and created the Locust. Considering the Queen is really human like and not butt ugly as Baird though (we also did :D). I think that Locusts ARE human creations, maybe a side work of cooperation to uncover something secret? I suppose that Adam Phoenix was involved in some way, and that the Queen was a coworker that got affected by their experimentations, and gave birth to the Locust.

#12 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

Who cares? They shoot at you, they're ugly and their heads pop off, what else is there to know?

#13 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I think, from the indication of the Sires, that Locust used to be humans as a lot of people infer. The Sires were originally children (or at least that's what I heard from my friend). And they have signs of being human and Locust, a mish-mash if you will. Them being in the glass chambers shows they were experiments. What I'm getting at is that Locust are an experiment gone horribly wrong. Although it seems weird because a lot of questions would then be unanswered. Like why are they underground? What makes them hate humanity? etc. Don't know, but I hope some tidbits clear up the storyline soon.

#14 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

Did anyone else think the queen looked like a human? 

#15 Posted by DragoonKain1687 (702 posts) -
bwooduhs said:
"Did anyone else think the queen looked like a human? "
che my previous post.
#16 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -
DragoonKain1687 said:
"bwooduhs said:
"Did anyone else think the queen looked like a human? "
che my previous post."
What i meant is i think she looks like shes not actually a locust.
#17 Posted by pause422 (6153 posts) -

A typical 'alien' enemy that we've seen a thousand times.

#18 Posted by Rowr (5239 posts) -

Judging from when dom says "have they been down here all this time?" or something, im led to believe they havent.

#19 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Copied from the Gears of War mini artbook:

"What are the Locust?

We don't know what they are... Most scientists believe they're are a mutated version of Sera's native life forms. A minority claim they're aliens. Ask any Gear and they'll tell you the locust came straight from hell.

We know they live underground. How and exactly where are impossible to determine, however, because cavern systems in Sera's mantles are, for all practical purposes, endless. As a reset of dwelling in perpetual darkness, they have an aversion to light.. one of our few advantages.

All attempts at negotiating with the Locust have failed, and all overtures of peace have been answered with violence. The only conclusion we can draw from their actions is that they want ever last man, woman and child dead."

I would like to believe they are an alien race, but the idea of them being mutated forms of native Serans seems more possible with some of the plot points brought up in Gears 2.
#20 Edited by lamegame621 (975 posts) -
brukaoru said:
"Copied from the Gears of War mini artbook:

"What are the Locust?

We don't know what they are... Most scientists believe they're are a mutated version of Sera's native life forms. A minority claim they're aliens. Ask any Gear and they'll tell you the locust came straight from hell.

We know they live underground. How and exactly where are impossible to determine, however, because cavern systems in Sera's mantles are, for all practical purposes, endless. As a reset of dwelling in perpetual darkness, they have an aversion to light.. one of our few advantages.

All attempts at negotiating with the Locust have failed, and all overtures of peace have been answered with violence. The only conclusion we can draw from their actions is that they want ever last man, woman and child dead."

I would like to believe they are an alien race, but the idea of them being mutated forms of native Serans seems more possible with some of the plot points brought up in Gears 2.
"
agreed.
#21 Posted by adam_grif (1144 posts) -

Given that the Queen appears to be almost totally human, and she says she worked with Adam Fenix, it would seem that the Locust were an accidental by-product of some kind of experimentation, probably research on human exposure to immulsion. It's possible that the Sires were the first "versions" of the locust, or human miners accidentally exposed to high levels of immulsion taken to do research on.

#22 Posted by lamegame621 (975 posts) -
adam_grif said:
"Given that the Queen appears to be almost totally human, and she says she worked with Adam Fenix, it would seem that the Locust were an accidental by-product of some kind of experimentation, probably research on human exposure to immulsion. It's possible that the Sires were the first "versions" of the locust, or human miners accidentally exposed to high levels of immulsion taken to do research on.

"
ahh..immulsion miners is an interesting theory. (for Sires at least)
#23 Posted by HistoryInRust (6215 posts) -

I think the human theory has a lot of pull behind it.

Remember: the Locust do speak English.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.