altered_confusion's Gears of War 2 (Limited Collector's Edition) (Xbox 360) review

Gears of War 2 Review

Gears of War 2 is the quick sequel to the first game of the same name. When I first heard that this game was going to come out I thought it was too soon too fast, and that there wasn't going to be any real substance to it. I was completely wrong. This game takes where the last one left off and rocked my socks off. You will once again be playing the part of Marcus Fenix, or Dom. You'll have to deal yet again with the Locust that just don't seem to ever truly go away.

The graphics are solid on this game. I think because I played the first I wasn't as wowed with them, but in short you're going to get what you got in the first game, which isn't bad at all. Some of the new units that you'll have to face off with look amazing, and the new ultra bad dude could possibly give some nightmares.

The sounds are the same gritty sounds in the first. There's going to be a lot of gun fire, a lot of explosions, and even some cursing thrown into regular game play. There are also a ton of characters that are given voices in this one, and I have to say that I really enjoyed all of them, with maybe the exception of Dizzy, I felt that he tried too hard.

The controls are what you're use to in Gears of War, but you'll also have to learn some slight variations as you will be driving or controlling a ton of vehicles. The quick reload mechanism works, just like before, but I feel that you have to anticipate it a little bit if you're playing on a HD TV.

The gameplay has you running through a bunch of locations, and using a good number of weapons. There are new weapons to play with this time around, my personal favorite when facing off against wretches is the flame thrower. You'll also have access to more vehicles, well not that you'll have a choice on the situation, but there are a ton that you'll be interacting with. Overall this game is what a sequel should be, the only thing that bothered me about the game is the emotional roller coaster that Dom all of a sudden is on in the second one. I personally wasn't really getting that storyline. There is one thing that I think this game did better than any other FPS with a co-op mode, and that is it is actually that. It isn't a mode where you're just magically another player and that's it. When you're playing co-op you're going to have to do things as an actual team, that level of playability took it to another level for me.

If you haven't play this game yet, I'd highly recommend that you do so. If you are new to the series I'd recommend playing the first one so that you can get an idea of the back story, and then play this one and see all the improvements that have been made for the series. Gears of War 2 gets a 9.7 out of 10.