Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Advice for a new player?

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By xMP44x

I managed to get a copy of this game for £28.00 from eBay. Thing is... I never was an especially good Gears player. I was barely average actually. I didn't play the second game for too long, and I haven't played the first game in forever. Would anyone more experienced be able to give me some general tips here? I know of the tactics in the first Gears of War game, such as the double pistol whipping and '2Piecing' someone, but with the Sawn Off and other new weapons I have no idea how I'll perform. I'd take any tips you can give, and yes, I'm prepared to pick up the Sawn Off at the start if I need to. I played the beta and was woeful at it. This should be a fun adjusting experience.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

Don't play with a sawed off, it's a one trick pony and doesn't make you better at the game.  If you're not confident just play some bot matches and learn the layouts of the maps.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By McGhee

Hide behind stuff.

Cut off your sleeves.

Work on your calves.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Andorski

Just stick with your teammates and provide support. Finding out which rifle/shotgun variant is for you isn't as important as getting use to the power weapons (torque bow, boom shot, etc.). Teams who get those weapons and are competent at using them are the ones who win the match.

davidinwrofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By davidinwrofy

Do use the sawed-off, especially if you're new to the game. It will get you kills you wouldn't otherwise have got - and lots of them. There shouldn't be any stigma in using the sawed-off, especiallu if you haven't already ploughed over 100 hours into online multiplayer in Gears 1 and 2. Very few gnasher players can use the gun effectively and it takes many, many hours to perfect the one-shot kill at close-range (the gib). Most of the time, if you're new, you'll try to gib and fail - and that can be very disheartening after the 100th time. For your mid- long range games, I'd recommend the Lancer, as it's the easiest rifle to use, as well as being deadly.

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By advocatefish

Get good with the shotguns because that is all people play with in multiplayer.

razorzxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By razorzxz

First of all try and stick with your team, don't be stupid and think that you can destroy everyone, this is not COD. Secondly learn your way about with the weapons, try all weapon types and get a feel of them see what is right for you. Lastly when you start a match coming out of your spawn decide which way you are going to go. Either you want to to try and gain map control or weapon control. Map control would normally be a height advantage and is better than the weaponised advantage most of the time. I hope this will help you in playing Gears of War.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zombie2011

@advocatefish said:

Not true at all.

Just play the game, there is no trick to it just the more you play the better you will get at it just like anything else in life.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By intro

@advocatefish said:

Really, according to official Ranked match stats, the Lancer has the majority of kills. Nice try though.

@OP, play with bots on normal and hardcore for awhile and try to learn the maps and the power weapons on them. Practice using the power weapon in private matches and kind of ease into them online. You don't wanna be the guy picking up sniper every single round not being able to get kills or help your team with it. :p

When you play online, play with a full party and try to stay with at least one other team and double team enemies.

pomeroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By pomeroy

Play with friends. Have fun. Those go hand in hand. VS. will infuriate you, whether it's because of shotguns, heavy weapons, or people being jerks with executions.

davidinwrofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By davidinwrofy

Get good with the Lancer would, indeed, be the best piece of advice: never underestimate its stopping power and the size of its clip! Watch your back and keep with your team would be my number 2 and 3 tips. Learning the maps inside out would be a very close fourth, and that should come after about 5 hours of play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.