Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Completing My Games #28: Gears of War 3 Edition (Spoilers!)

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By IceColdGamer

Hey guys and gals. Been working pretty hard on my 360 collection in the last couple of weeks and increased the number of games I own by about 30 in the last 2 months.

Since there are so many Triple A releases on the horizon I've been trying to get the newest games out of the way (story wise) and then focusing my energy on old achievements that I've left on the back burner for a while.

I'm gonna divide this one up into sections so it's not a big wall of text like my other updates have been and it will hopefully be a little easier to read!

Gears of War 3 (360)

I picked up my Epic Edition on Launch Day and have been picking away at it ever since...

It was almost 3 years ago since we followed Delta Squad on their operation to sink Jacinto in Gears of War 2. They thought the Locust were destroyed. They thought they had escaped. They were wrong.

Gears 3 picks up a few years after the sinking of the Jacinto Plateau with Marcus and the rest of Delta Squad living on a large warship called "Sovereign". Marcus is having nightmares about his "dead" father, Dom is depressed over the loss of his wife Maria, Baird and Cole are up to their old antics.

The game's plot picks up quick with a large Lambent Leviathan attacking Sovereign and Chairman Prescott (of the now obsolete COG) arriving after vanishing after the events of Gears 1 and 2.

I won't give a simple plot summary but I've worked my way through the first act on Hardcore and it's a fantastic cinematic action experience. The first act is split with the first half controlled by Marcus and the second half controlled by Cole. These two halves run parallel to the other and both end at the same explosive climax.

Outside of the campaign my girfriend and I have been partying up in Gears Multiplayer, which I've been enjoying a lot more than the previous games. Maybe I've just gotten better at the game but I'm kicking a lot more ass than I was in the previous 2 titles. I'm currently Level 22 Online with plenty of ribbons and medals to pad my virtual resume. I also immediately unlocked the Golden Lancer and Hammerburst for my previous Gears experience.

My favourite map by far is Sandbar, mostly for it's color and lack of Shotgun use due to it's size.

Here's my achievement list thus far in Gears...

1. Welcome to the Big Leagues - Your skill and experience means you're ready for Standard Versus Multiplayer - 0G
    2. Welcome to Verus - Killed 10 enemies in Team Deathmatch - 10G
    3. Level 5 - Reached level 5 - 5G
    4. Level 10 - Reached level 10 - 10G
    5. Welcome to Horde Mode - Survived the first 10 waves of Horde - 10G
    6. Lambency - Executed an infected player and is now turning Lambent - 50G
    7. Level 15 - Reached level 15 - 15G
    8. Wait, What Time is It? - Maxed the Consecutive Match Bonus in Versus Multiplayer - 10G
    9. The Versus Sampler Platter - Completed one match in all six Versus multiplayer modes - 10G
    10. Marcus, It's Your Father - Woke up from a bad dream - 5G
    11. Swimmin' In Glowie Gravy - Defended the Raven's Nest from Lambent Leviathan - 10G
    12. We Struck Gold Son - Found food and ammo in Hanover - 10G
    13. Collector - Recovered 5 of 42 collectibles - 5G
    14. My Turf! Cougars Territory! - Defended and escaped Cougar Stadium - 10G
    15. Putting It Scientifically... - Blew up the Lambent Leviathan from the bridge - 10G

Progress 170/1000

Fallout 3: GOTY Edition

I've had Fallout 3 GOTY Edition for about a year now and I always got into it and then it faded to the back of the pile and the process has repeated three times. But no more! I've made huge gains in it this time, putting in 24 hours so far and completing the Operation Anchorage, and Point Lookout DLC. I have not gotten too far in the story but I've made huge gains in the side quests and achievement sections of the game.

I currently stand as a Level 18 Good Karma character. I have completed Point Lookout and Operation Anchorage. I've collected 4 BobbleHeads. In the story I have found my father in Tranquility Lane (by accident) and he has headed back to Rivet City. I have been mopping up side quests on my way to meet him there. I'll keep trudging through it because I managed to find a Fallout: New Vegas Collector's Edition here in town for 25 dollars and I've been itching to rip into it for some reason. More updates definitely to come with the Fallout series from me!

Here are some of my more proud achievement from Fallout 3...

1. Doesn't Play Well with Others - Killed 300 People - 20G
    2. One Man Scouting Party - Discovered 100 Locations - 20G
    3. Keys Are For Cowards - Picked 50 Locks - 20G
    4. Slayer of Beasts - Killed 300 Creatures - 20G
    5. Operation Anchorage - Completed Operation Anchorage - 40G

There are obviously tons of achievements in Fallout 3 (72 in all) so I won't type up a huge list like I normally would. I think the ones I will have the most trouble with are...

1. Data Miner - Hacked 50 Terminals - 20G
    2. The Bigger They Are... - Kill all the Super Mutant Behemoths - 20G

Progress 540/1550

Other Games

Other games I have been tinkering away at include Dead Island, to which I've only put in about 2 hours. I've only unlocked one achievement and I'm hoping that once I finish either Gears of War 3 or Fallout 3 I'll be able to really "chew" through it.

Dead Island Achievements (15/1000)

1. Knock, Knock - Breach a locked door on the first blow - 15G

I've also downloaded From Dust after watching Brad's Quick Look and have enjoyed it, but only in small bursts. Sometimes It gets fairly frustrating but after taking a few days away and coming back makes the puzzles much easier. I totally love the sandboxy feel of the game though.

From Dust Achievements (50/200)

1. Exhaling - Create the Breath of the elements - 10G
    2. Krakatu - Absorb a massive amount of lava during the game - 10G
    3. Hell - Complete the Wildfire Territory - 10G
    4. Amazon - Uproot and replant 100 trees during the game - 10G
    5. Powermonger - Use the powers of the breath 100 times - 10G

That's all I'm really working on right now. I've got every new title coming out over the next year already pre-ordered so I've got lots to play over the next little bit to try and keep up. The next game arriving at my door should be RAGE: Anarchy Edition for the 360.

Steam Sale!

As always, Steam has been having some epic sales. Here's some PC games I've picked up over the last month!

1. Alpha Protocol
    2. Borderlands GOTY Edition
    3. Empire: Total War
    4. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
    5. Hitman: Blood Money
    6. Hitman: Codename 47
    7. Kane and Lynch: Dead Men
    8. Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days
    9. Medieval 2: Total War
    10. Medieval 2: Total War Kingdoms
    11. Napoleon: Total War
    12. Rome Total War: Alexander
    13. Rome Total War: Gold Edition

Hella deals!

Anyways, I'm sure you're sick of reading so I'll give you a break. Tune in for more blogging over the next couple weeks! Happy Gaming!

Total Gamerscore: 40421 as of September 26/2011

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IceColdGamer

Hey guys and gals. Been working pretty hard on my 360 collection in the last couple of weeks and increased the number of games I own by about 30 in the last 2 months.

Since there are so many Triple A releases on the horizon I've been trying to get the newest games out of the way (story wise) and then focusing my energy on old achievements that I've left on the back burner for a while.

I'm gonna divide this one up into sections so it's not a big wall of text like my other updates have been and it will hopefully be a little easier to read!

Gears of War 3 (360)

I picked up my Epic Edition on Launch Day and have been picking away at it ever since...

It was almost 3 years ago since we followed Delta Squad on their operation to sink Jacinto in Gears of War 2. They thought the Locust were destroyed. They thought they had escaped. They were wrong.

Gears 3 picks up a few years after the sinking of the Jacinto Plateau with Marcus and the rest of Delta Squad living on a large warship called "Sovereign". Marcus is having nightmares about his "dead" father, Dom is depressed over the loss of his wife Maria, Baird and Cole are up to their old antics.

The game's plot picks up quick with a large Lambent Leviathan attacking Sovereign and Chairman Prescott (of the now obsolete COG) arriving after vanishing after the events of Gears 1 and 2.

I won't give a simple plot summary but I've worked my way through the first act on Hardcore and it's a fantastic cinematic action experience. The first act is split with the first half controlled by Marcus and the second half controlled by Cole. These two halves run parallel to the other and both end at the same explosive climax.

Outside of the campaign my girfriend and I have been partying up in Gears Multiplayer, which I've been enjoying a lot more than the previous games. Maybe I've just gotten better at the game but I'm kicking a lot more ass than I was in the previous 2 titles. I'm currently Level 22 Online with plenty of ribbons and medals to pad my virtual resume. I also immediately unlocked the Golden Lancer and Hammerburst for my previous Gears experience.

My favourite map by far is Sandbar, mostly for it's color and lack of Shotgun use due to it's size.

Here's my achievement list thus far in Gears...

1. Welcome to the Big Leagues - Your skill and experience means you're ready for Standard Versus Multiplayer - 0G
    2. Welcome to Verus - Killed 10 enemies in Team Deathmatch - 10G
    3. Level 5 - Reached level 5 - 5G
    4. Level 10 - Reached level 10 - 10G
    5. Welcome to Horde Mode - Survived the first 10 waves of Horde - 10G
    6. Lambency - Executed an infected player and is now turning Lambent - 50G
    7. Level 15 - Reached level 15 - 15G
    8. Wait, What Time is It? - Maxed the Consecutive Match Bonus in Versus Multiplayer - 10G
    9. The Versus Sampler Platter - Completed one match in all six Versus multiplayer modes - 10G
    10. Marcus, It's Your Father - Woke up from a bad dream - 5G
    11. Swimmin' In Glowie Gravy - Defended the Raven's Nest from Lambent Leviathan - 10G
    12. We Struck Gold Son - Found food and ammo in Hanover - 10G
    13. Collector - Recovered 5 of 42 collectibles - 5G
    14. My Turf! Cougars Territory! - Defended and escaped Cougar Stadium - 10G
    15. Putting It Scientifically... - Blew up the Lambent Leviathan from the bridge - 10G

Progress 170/1000

Fallout 3: GOTY Edition

I've had Fallout 3 GOTY Edition for about a year now and I always got into it and then it faded to the back of the pile and the process has repeated three times. But no more! I've made huge gains in it this time, putting in 24 hours so far and completing the Operation Anchorage, and Point Lookout DLC. I have not gotten too far in the story but I've made huge gains in the side quests and achievement sections of the game.

I currently stand as a Level 18 Good Karma character. I have completed Point Lookout and Operation Anchorage. I've collected 4 BobbleHeads. In the story I have found my father in Tranquility Lane (by accident) and he has headed back to Rivet City. I have been mopping up side quests on my way to meet him there. I'll keep trudging through it because I managed to find a Fallout: New Vegas Collector's Edition here in town for 25 dollars and I've been itching to rip into it for some reason. More updates definitely to come with the Fallout series from me!

Here are some of my more proud achievement from Fallout 3...

1. Doesn't Play Well with Others - Killed 300 People - 20G
    2. One Man Scouting Party - Discovered 100 Locations - 20G
    3. Keys Are For Cowards - Picked 50 Locks - 20G
    4. Slayer of Beasts - Killed 300 Creatures - 20G
    5. Operation Anchorage - Completed Operation Anchorage - 40G

There are obviously tons of achievements in Fallout 3 (72 in all) so I won't type up a huge list like I normally would. I think the ones I will have the most trouble with are...

1. Data Miner - Hacked 50 Terminals - 20G
    2. The Bigger They Are... - Kill all the Super Mutant Behemoths - 20G

Progress 540/1550

Other Games

Other games I have been tinkering away at include Dead Island, to which I've only put in about 2 hours. I've only unlocked one achievement and I'm hoping that once I finish either Gears of War 3 or Fallout 3 I'll be able to really "chew" through it.

Dead Island Achievements (15/1000)

1. Knock, Knock - Breach a locked door on the first blow - 15G

I've also downloaded From Dust after watching Brad's Quick Look and have enjoyed it, but only in small bursts. Sometimes It gets fairly frustrating but after taking a few days away and coming back makes the puzzles much easier. I totally love the sandboxy feel of the game though.

From Dust Achievements (50/200)

1. Exhaling - Create the Breath of the elements - 10G
    2. Krakatu - Absorb a massive amount of lava during the game - 10G
    3. Hell - Complete the Wildfire Territory - 10G
    4. Amazon - Uproot and replant 100 trees during the game - 10G
    5. Powermonger - Use the powers of the breath 100 times - 10G

That's all I'm really working on right now. I've got every new title coming out over the next year already pre-ordered so I've got lots to play over the next little bit to try and keep up. The next game arriving at my door should be RAGE: Anarchy Edition for the 360.

Steam Sale!

As always, Steam has been having some epic sales. Here's some PC games I've picked up over the last month!

1. Alpha Protocol
    2. Borderlands GOTY Edition
    3. Empire: Total War
    4. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
    5. Hitman: Blood Money
    6. Hitman: Codename 47
    7. Kane and Lynch: Dead Men
    8. Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days
    9. Medieval 2: Total War
    10. Medieval 2: Total War Kingdoms
    11. Napoleon: Total War
    12. Rome Total War: Alexander
    13. Rome Total War: Gold Edition

Hella deals!

Anyways, I'm sure you're sick of reading so I'll give you a break. Tune in for more blogging over the next couple weeks! Happy Gaming!

Total Gamerscore: 40421 as of September 26/2011

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.