Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Controls and Gears of War

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kennybaese

I'm going to preface this by saying that I do most of my game playing on PS3 because that's what I own. All three of my roommates, however, own XBoxes, so I do play game on them from time to time. Naturally, all of my roommates bought Gears 3 when it dropped, and it looks awesome (I have, at this point, not played any of it), and it looks pretty goddamn awesome. Same with Gears 2. The games look rad as all hell, and I've played a couple of hours in Gears 2 and every time I do I end up getting frustrated with the controls and give up.

At this point, I think I've probably suck about 10 hours in Gears (campaign only, I'm not interested in online in any way), and every time I try to play the game, I feel like I'm fighting with my controls to get my guy to go what I want him to do. It might just be the fact that I'm more used to the way that dudes move in Uncharted, and I'm having a hard time translating that to the different weight that everyone has in Gears, but it's frustrating and bums me out because these games seem amazing, and I want to play them really really badly.

So, I'm throwing it to the community. Does anyone else out there feel this same way, and was able to work around it? Do I need to just stick with it and eventually I'll just get used to it? I'm at a loss, so I'm asking for any tips that you guys have.

Thanks!

apocralyptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By apocralyptic

What, exactly, is the problem? Is it the cover system? The shooting?

I agree that there's something a bit different about Gears. For example, I'm a lot better at those games than I am at faster-paced FPS games like CoD. Likewise, some of my buddies who are hardcore CoD or Halo gamers continually get creamed.

One good tip I've found is to watch good players with your camera after you die. I've picked up plenty of sweet tricks that way.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Twisted_Scot

I cant say I've had any real issues with Gears controls in any of the games. I guess they can take a little to get used to as they do handle a lot slower than similar styled games like Uncharted. Id bet if you just stick with it you'd get used to them in time. The only thing that gets me is sometimes you get stuck to the wrong side of cover / walls that can result in death but not all the time.

EDIT: Also you may find it helpful to turn up the look sensitivity, I usually do that for gears game to compensate for the bulky feeling.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

The controls for Gears of War 3 are probably the most polished out of any third-person shooter yet. Perhaps it is switching from a Dual Shock to a 360 controller?

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Klei

Most shooters only have one thing ; the shooting. Games like Gears have another, which is the manoeuvrability of the character. Being able to manoeuver around the environment is just as key as shooting dudes. That's why I like it.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kennybaese

I'm not sure. It's something that is hard to kind of nail down, which is why I'm throwing it up here for some ideas. I don't think it's the switch between Dual Shock and 360 controllers. I think most of my frustration probably stems from the cover system. I feel like I'm getting stuck on the wrong bits of cover or something on a regular basis, maybe?

I think I'm going to start into Gears 2 today after class (I think I'm just going to skip Gears 1, I've got enough of an idea of what happens in the game) and maybe keep the difficulty low until I feel like I'm used to the controls. We'll see how it goes.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By bombHills

While I think Gears 3 plays much better than the previous games, it does take time getting used to. I have been playing since launch and still get wiped up in matchmaking. It's is funny how you mention the COD players having a harder time, generally I have a very good k/d in FPS but with Gears I struggle. Still like the game though and I will keep trying to improve.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@walkingcarpet said:

I'm not sure. It's something that is hard to kind of nail down, which is why I'm throwing it up here for some ideas. I don't think it's the switch between Dual Shock and 360 controllers. I think most of my frustration probably stems from the cover system. I feel like I'm getting stuck on the wrong bits of cover or something on a regular basis, maybe?

I think I'm going to start into Gears 2 today after class (I think I'm just going to skip Gears 1, I've got enough of an idea of what happens in the game) and maybe keep the difficulty low until I feel like I'm used to the controls. We'll see how it goes.

Its normal. It feels clunky at first. Give it about 2 hours and youll get used to it. Also you can try alternate control and it separates the run button and cover button.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By laserbolts

I had to turn up the sensitivity when I started playing because it seems slow on default. Still controls fine to me.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By GeekDown

Controls can be a very subjective thing, but as previously said Gears of War has some of the best third person shooter controls of any game. Just play some more Xbox and you'll probably get used to it.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Vexxan

Gears of War 3 has the best control of any third-person shooter like...ever? I didn't feel the need to tweak anything, it was great right off the bat.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kennybaese

I might try the alternate controls. Separating the run button and the cover button might help. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.