Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Gears 3 Multiplayer

ZoDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ZoDD

Anyone who has played Gears seriously for any amount of time knows that the Host advantage situation is dire.  While this is also an issue in almost every other competitive shooter on live, because of the CQC gameplay that Gears represents, it is much more of a problem. 

If anyone can think of a better solution than dedicated servers, please let your ideas be known.  Otherwise, just agree and move on. 

For the record, no one will convince me that DS'es aren't the best solution possible based off of current technology architecture.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

This is me agreeing and moving on. Is there really any other option to argue? Enlighten me.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

The official Gears 3 presentation has just finished. Cliffy B remained cautious with the revelations, at least until 2010 E3 & X11, but nevertheless he said Epic Games has every intention of pushing the Xbox 360 to its technical limits. He also said the multiplayer should be fixed relative to the second game. Examples include the time to find a match online, with some bugs, and connections between the U.S.and Europe.    

Charles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Charles

True, other then dedicated servers... What other option is there?

ZoDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ZoDD

@Linkyshinks said:
    "He also said the multiplayer should be fixed relative to the second game. Examples include the time to find a match online, with some bugs, and connections between the U.S.and Europe.     "  

As of now, that is basically a confirmation that we will indeed be playing yet another Gears game... with FUCKING HOST BULLSHIT. 

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By keyhunter

The Host advantage isn't a Gears thing. It's an Unreal engine thing. Every game ever to use Unreal Technology has had this. Even with Dedicated Servers, whoever is hosting that dedicated server can still join from the LAN server browser and tear dudes apart. 
    Or even worse, 5 people over a LAN on a dedicated server tearing everyone apart. At least on XBL it's only ONE person with host advantage rather than a whole crew. I doubt they'll ever fix this ever.

ZoDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZoDD
    @keyhunter:  You are assuming xbox's would be hosting DS'es.  I am not.

Either epic hosts the servers, or the PC model of people buying/renting servers and installing the server software on there.  Either of these would completely alleviate the issues, whether they be the genesis of Gears net code, or UE itself. 

I understand the first reaction to this is " haha.. yeah right.  Cost, effort.. etc".  But until this type of model is used, any type of competitive gaming on consoles is garbage.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob

Actually the game isn't going to have any multiplayer whatsoever. 

And its going to be entirely controlled with natal. 

Confirmed.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Afroman269

Just get me a good connection. Many times I can kill host because there is no lag. They should put in host migration like Halo and COD to cut back on shitty hosts and people who stand-by.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Burns098356GX

I thought one of the things we got in our XBL subscriptions was dedicated servers for MP games......

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive

i kept gears 2 for about 3 weeks. long enough for me to beat the game, and get fed up with the match making taking 15-20 minutes.  

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " i kept gears 2 for about 3 weeks. long enough for me to beat the game, and get fed up with the match making taking 15-20 minutes.   "
    Same here.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Afroman269
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " I thought one of the things we got in our XBL subscriptions was dedicated servers for MP games...... "
    Do you realize how much money that would cost to maintain that? Games have been using the players as a host to keep costs to a minimum. 
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    " i kept gears 2 for about 3 weeks. long enough for me to beat the game, and get fed up with the match making taking 15-20 minutes.   "
    Same here. "
    i'm hoping they release a better game this time around. one that isn't utterly forgot about when goty awards come around, gears 2 didn't come close to contending with anyone. 
    bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By bjorno

half the fun of gears is the awful lag

Charles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Charles

I will be surprised if they can fix host advantage without having dedicated servers.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Burns09

Gears 1 multiplayer wasn't too much better, but as I remember it, it was just fun. Private matches with friends in the first game were loads of fun, despite there being a host advantage. The second game for one reason or another was simply frustrating and provided little enjoyment. I just hope they put lots of time and new features into horde because that mode is fantastic and that's the only multiplayer component of GOW2 that really works.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By OneManX

Single player and Horde were basically the calling cards of Gears 2, I never bothered with Gears 2 Multi and I didn't bother with Gears 1 multi, I just want to see the story and kill waves of dudes in horde...

EOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EOT

I will be very happy if they allow you to play with the same group for more than one game. The Halo style match making thing is not for me. 

seanbooker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By seanbooker

It's something that comes with online games. For now, we need to live with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.