Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Gears 3 to have $45 worth of DLC in one year(season pass too).

• 82 results
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

WTF! $45? That's almost the full game. Hell, in a year you could buy it for less than that probably. It better be some BIG DLC, if it's just map packs and skins and shit like that, wow what a joke.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/69929/gears-of-war-3-season-pass-dated-priced

Like every other "AAA" game this generation, Gears of War 3 will have an extensive post-release DLC schedule. However, in an effort to entice more purchases, Microsoft and Epic Games is taking a page from other games, such as Mortal Kombat and LA Noire, by offering a downloadable content "Season Pass"--which bundles all upcoming DLC at a significant discount.

The Gears of War 3 Season Pass will entitle gamers to receive the first four installments of DLC "over the course of the next year," with the first release planned for November this year. The Season Pass will be available on the day the game releases, September 20th, for 2400 Microsoft Points ($30). According to Microsoft, the Season Pass represents a 33 percent discount on the regular price of the four add-ons. (That means we can expect the regular price to be 3600 Microsoft Points, or $45.)

Gears 3 DLC will encompass both single and multiplayer offerings. As a bonus, all purchasers of the Season Pass will get the "exclusive Liquid Metal Weapon Set" for free. You can see the Lancer in its Terminator 2-inspired glory above.

Microsoft's Season Pass is easily the most pricey one introduced to date. $30 is quite a lot to pay for downloadable content--but the original price of $45 (which nears the full retail price of the game), is an even harder amount to swallow.

Only Black Ops has gone that full on pricey DLC, haven't they?
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Vinny_Says

It's like the all fronts collection x3 but with a discount? 

seems excessive.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By napalm

This is crazy. Okay, so that means there will be one or two two-hour campaigns, and two multiplayer packs. Yeah, that's totally worth $45.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By intro

Epic has joined the ranks of Activision when it comes to stuff like this.

I'm sure they'll delete some scenes from the campaign so we can pay for that too. Also, I bet half of the DLC is already done and they just won't put it on the disc so they can charge for it.

Right now for Gears 2 you can get a deleted scene and 19 maps for like $10. Total of 29 maps.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

Wow that is disgusting. I wonder how much it was Microsoft's doing though being publisher and all.

Also the way that is worded "the first 4 installments of DLC " Does that mean after this $45 thing there will be even more?

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DocPorpoise

i didn't really play much gears 2 multi (other then campaign co op) and if the single player dlc is anything like it was for gears 2 i'll pass on the pass... HA, see what i did there... with the pass... and pass, i'll leave now.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By intro

@DocPorpoise said:

i didn't really play much gears 2 multi (other then campaign co op) and if the single player dlc is anything like it was for gears 2 i'll pass on the pass... HA, see what i did there... with the pass... and pass, i'll leave now.

Lol, it was a short deleted scene, but it came with maps.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By zyn

If I wasn't buying this for my bro already, I would wait for the GoTY ed.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By benjaebe

The season pass is $30, so I don't see why people keep repeating the $45 dollar price. Kinda crazy to offer as a day 1 buy, but I mean...if it saves you money than buying them all individually at 10 or 15 bucks a piece, I could understand buying it.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShaggE

Ugh... I know I'll be helpless against this, too. GoW is the only game that can get me to buy map packs, and it's all because of my unhealthy addiction to Horde mode. 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Dany

The season pass is 30 dollars and gets you all of the content at a 33% reduced price.

$45 is for the actual for price if you are dumb enough to buy all of the content without the season pass.

I don't find this shocking at all. This is the 'last' gears game and 2 had 20 bucks worth of content, it isn't crazy to assume 3 would have more.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By TheKing

Fail to see how $7.50 each for 4 DLC packs is "disgusting".

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

The season pass idea is pretty smart, and I would hope more gaming companies would jump on board. Is EA offers one for Mass Effect 3, I will blind buy it day one.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By intro

@TheKing said:

Because it's more than likely already finished and could be put on the disc for launch.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Dany

@Intro said:

@TheKing said:

Because it's more than likely already finished and could be put on the disc for launch.

I doubt that. The game is already filled with tons of maps and a full singleplayer game. Not enough room. Also I doubt that the proposed DLC is even finished yet. It sounds like that DLC development begins after the game is finished and ready to be shipped.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By phish09

Uncharted 2 had about $35 worth of DLC.  Fallout 3 had around $50 worth of DLC.  COD: Blops had $60 worth of DLC.  Get used to it.  It's the way things are going.  If you don't want it then don't buy it, but $30 for DLC for a game this big is actually on the cheaper end of the spectrum if you compare it with it's competitors.  Or you can wait a year or so for a GOTY edition that will have it all bundled in.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Lukeweizer

The game was done 6 months ago. They've had a lot of time to work on DLC.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hot diggity! 

I don't see the big deal. Plenty of games release over $40 worth of DLC in one year. This is nothing new.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UnrealDP

Cool, sounds great! It's not like DLC will end the GoW3 multiplayer experience as we know it and $45 dollars of content sounds like alot of content that will most likely be fun at the very least, it's a little early to judge too. Sure if you son't own the right maps you'll get thrown out, but they'll just add new playlists and you'll be none the wiser about the whole thing maps or no maps. I really don't understand why some of you are disgusted by this, more content is good and you don't have to buy it.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Slaker117

Hey guys, guess what? Popular multiplayer games get map packs. Welcome to 2007.

Ultimately, the type of people this actually matters to are the type of people who are willing to pay for a few maps, because they play the game a lot. If that's not you, why do you care? And about all the "it's already done, so ship it with the game" arguments, that's not really valid. At this point, companies understand the potential of DLC. If they are making maps specifically to sell separately, that means that they were budgeted out to reflect that. We don't actually know if they are completed or not, but even if they are, they simply would not have been made in the first place if they weren't going to be sold as DLC.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By randyf

We don't even know what the DLC is yet. I have a hard time getting upset over something I don't know about. And, as it's been said before, this is relatively cheap for a modern release. Lest we forget that Call of Duty charges $15 per piece of content.

I'll make up my mind about it once they announce what it is, but first impressions are that it's relatively cheap. I don't know why it's getting hate already.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nail1080
    @Dany said:

@Intro said:

@TheKing said:

I doubt that. The game is already filled with tons of maps and a full singleplayer game. Not enough room.

Actually it has 9 maps, 3 of which I already played the shit out of in the Beta. Not really 'tons'...
    Avatar image for aneternalenigma
    AnEternalEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AnEternalEnigma

Quit blaming Epic, fools. This is all Microsoft's doing. Epic has said countless times that if it were up to them, they'd release all the extra stuff for free.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DougQuaid
    @nail1080 said:
    @Dany said:

@Intro said:

@TheKing said:

I doubt that. The game is already filled with tons of maps and a full singleplayer game. Not enough room.

Actually it has 9 maps, 3 of which I already played the shit out of in the Beta. Not really 'tons'...
    Not only that, but how many of those are remakes of Gears 1 & 2 maps?
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vexxan

As long as it ain't "vital" singleplayer DLC I don't really care. Getting this game to see how the story ends.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By GunstarRed

I'm gonna assume that at least two of these will be map packs and in that case if you love the game youre getting what you were going to buy anyways for cheaper than the full price. I really don't see any problem with this. New maps to play competitive, Beast and Horde on. It all just seems like a bonus for people that really like Gears. Nobody would complain if they were all released separately, people stopped complaining about price of the CoD map packs after the first couple.  

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By intro

@Dany said:

@Intro said:

@TheKing said:

I doubt that. The game is already filled with tons of maps and a full singleplayer game. Not enough room. Also I doubt that the proposed DLC is even finished yet. It sounds like that DLC development begins after the game is finished and ready to be shipped.

The game has been done for awhile, they've just been polishing up the MP.

Trust me, those maps are done and they want to sell stuff they shouldn't be.

@Vegsen said:

As long as it ain't "vital" singleplayer DLC I don't really care. Getting this game to see how the story ends.

That's all online now. Lol and I remember Cliff saying he doesn't like making PC games because people pirate them.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RE_Player1

Don't like it don't buy it. I don't like the way Activision is making Call of Duty games so I don't buy them for example.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheKing

@Intro said:

@Dany said:

@Intro said:

@TheKing said:

Ah, you work at Epic? Very cool man, thanks for the inside info.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By laserbolts

I'm totally getting this. Will this game hurry up and come out already? This is killin me.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By metal_mills

@TheKing said:

It's not 7.50 each it's 11.25 each. It's only 7.50 if you buy them all, up front. You used to be able to get a full expansion for less than $45. Now it's nothing more than maps and shit.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By JTB123

2400 MS points is roughly £21, that's £5.25 per DLC. That's absolutely fine with me, obviously depends on the quality of the DLC though.  

Furthermore one MS point roughly equals 1.18 pence, DLC is usually 800 points a pop, which is £9.44, times four is £37.76 and you can get it £21, people are complaining because..... 

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bigsmoke77

Well the game has been pretty much done for a while, what do you think they have been doing?

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheKing

@Metal_Mills said:

@TheKing said:

It's not 7.50 each it's 11.25 each. It's only 7.50 if you buy them all, up front. You used to be able to get a full expansion for less than $45. Now it's nothing more than maps and shit.

This has been going on since about '07. Don't see why this particular example has people up in arms seeing how they aren't doing anything egregious.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By intro

@TheKing said:

@Intro said:

@Dany said:

@Intro said:

@TheKing said:

Ah, you work at Epic? Very cool man, thanks for the inside info.

Don't be a dick. Hell, I remember there was a leaked screenshot of a Gears 2 map before Gears 2 came out. It wasn't shipped until months later though.

I'm just saying, I hope these maps aren't already done and they choose not to put them on the disc. Also, they shouldn't gut the campaign so they can sell it later on. Fuck, I'm already buying the game for $60.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By metal_mills

@TheKing said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@TheKing said:

This has been going on since about '07. Don't see why this particular example has people up in arms seeing how they aren't doing anything egregious.

Few games have $45 worth, especially in one year.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Druminator

It's just gonna get worse if people keep buying DLC. Quit buying or quit bitching.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ProfessorEss

You guys all have such complicated webs of principles. 
    It's hard to keep up.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MideonNViscera

Why is this a big deal? How much did all the ME3 DLC add up to? Halo 3 map packs? Red Dead? There's plenty of examples of expensive DLC, and those examples are also often examples of good DLC. 

Gears 3 will likely be a great game that you wouldn't even need DLC for anyway. Which is great for the complainers, because nobody actually has to buy it haha

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By intro

@MideonNViscera said:

Why is this a big deal? How much did all the ME3 DLC add up to? Halo 3 map packs? Red Dead? There's plenty of examples of expensive DLC, and those examples are also often examples of good DLC. Gears 3 will likely be a great game that you wouldn't even need DLC for anyway. Which is great for the complainers, because nobody actually has to buy it haha

You'll need the DLC if you want to play all of the campaign and all the MP playlist. Maybe not for a lot of people, but $45 dollars in a year is like buying an entire new game, lotta money.

So $60+$30+tax is $100 so I can play all the playlist/maps and the entire campaign.

I'll buy it anyway, but I'm just upset because I'm assuming it's already done DLC. And why are the deleted scenes deleted? Why don't they just put it on there and give people the option to skip it if they want. The only reason there was a scene deleted for Gears 2 was because Cliff said people where in that area of the campaign too long. Or wait, is it because they want to charge people for it?

It is nice they have this pass thing for people who'll buy all the DLC anyway. I guess they couldn't have gave us a deal at all.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Wonder how much f the DLC will be skins

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Solh0und

This isn't bad. You pay $30 now(Sept 20) to get 45 dollars worth of DLC. I don't see the problem in that....

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By intro

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Can you like reword that, I don't understand what you're asking.

@solh0und said:

This isn't bad. You pay $30 now(Sept 20) to get 45 dollars worth of DLC. I don't see the problem in that....

There isn't unless these maps/campaign pieces are done and they're charging for something that could easily be on the disc come launch.

Epic has said the campaign has been done for awhile...

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wickedsc3

@Intro said:

@TheKing said:

First, i highly doubt it is already done, it might in development but not done. Second, even if they had it done they cant just "put it on the disk" The game has to go through cert, and once through cert no more changes can be made without re submitting it. If they kept doing that over and over again nothing would ever come out because it would be in an endless state of development. They have to make a cutoff somewhere.

Edit: I'm glad they are at least doing the season pass. I've bought all the Black ops dlc and I didn't get no price cut on that so, im fine with saving money.

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DerekDanahy

I'm totally getting this. Gears is the only game I care about on my Xbox, and I'm always excited for more single player content.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46  Edited By Levio

What's the big deal guys? $90 for a full game, that's totally a fair price. I mean, yeah there's tons of great $10 and $20 games out there, but are they Gears 3? No!

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By intro

@DerekDanahy said:

I'm totally getting this. Gears is the only game I care about on my Xbox, and I'm always excited for more single player content.

Me too, but it's not the only game I care about lol. Excited for Skyrim and BF3 too. If we're talking exclusives, then Gears is the only game I care about haha.

Although I don't understand how there's an extra year to make the game and there's only 10 maps shipping. One of them is just a remake from 2006. If you're a Gears 1 fan, you might remember the map called Clocktower which will be coming back, probably in DLC. Well, that's not confirmed, but Cliff hinted at it when there was a huge want for it on the forums.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Intro said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@solh0und said:

There isn't unless these maps/campaign pieces are done and they're charging for something that could easily be on the disc come launch.

Epic has said the campaign has been done for awhile...

How can I reword that? its simple. I wonder how many of that 45 will be skins for like weapons and characters. 
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Levio said:

What's the big deal guys? $90 for a full game, that's totally a fair price. I mean, yeah there's tons of great $10 and $20 games out there, but are they Gears 3? No!

Does anyone know off the top of their head what Street Fighter IV, Super Street Fighter IV and all their respective DLC totals? 
    Cause if we're playing this game, we might as well do it with style. 
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Gabriel

@Intro said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Wonder how much of the DLC will be skins

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.