Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Gears of War 3: First Impressions

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 29

Edited By RAmpersaND

Didn't I play this same game three years ago, back when it was called Gears of War 2? I can't shake the feeling that I'll lose interest in Gears 3 just as quickly as I did with Halo 3, in spite of - or perhaps because of - the countless hours that I invested in previous installments of both series.

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RAmpersaND

Didn't I play this same game three years ago, back when it was called Gears of War 2? I can't shake the feeling that I'll lose interest in Gears 3 just as quickly as I did with Halo 3, in spite of - or perhaps because of - the countless hours that I invested in previous installments of both series.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Slaker117

Well, yes, pretty much, but were you really expecting anything different?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wait? The third in the series is like the previous entries in that same series? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

Why do people still feel the need to write 'first impression' wrap-ups weeks after launch? Everyone who really cares has already finished it, and people still on the fence are more interested in what the people who can describe the total experience have to say. My point is, nobody gives a fuck what you think of the first hour of Gears 3 (unless the game isn't out yet, or has only been out for a few hours, of course). Especially if it's just negative bitching about a complete non-issue. Yeah, it's similar to the game you haven't touched in THREE YEARS- no fuckin' shit.

Duskwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Duskwind

I just got Gears of War 3 a few days ago. Believe it or not, I haven't played the previous two. Same was the case with Halo 3 about three years ago. I didn't enjoy Halo 3 too much, and so far, my impression of GeoW 3 is that it's really good, but nothing I haven't played before in one form or another. Then again, I'm barely into it, so we'll see.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Afroman269

Gears 3 is the most refined Gears game ever. Just like how Halo Reach is the most refined Halo game ever. If you didn't want more Gears then you shouldn't have played more Gears.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By IBurningStar

Gears is still Gears, there is no arguing that. But this is much improved version of that. The campaign is very well made and paced and does a much better job than previous installments in how it tells the story and handles the characters. From what I can tell the multiplayer is a bit faster now, which is a good thing. The new game modes really add a lot to the mix. The Horde mode for example has a lot more to it with the tower defense aspects and I for one actually enjoy it a lot now. Beast is another fun distraction, even if it is a bit short. 

Gears 3 is a lot like Halo Reach in that it is that franchise done better than it has ever been before.

mgsolid86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

#8  Edited By mgsolid86

@TooWalrus: Gears 3 launched 6 days ago, not "weeks ago". As someone who loved the first Gears and lost interest in Act 2 of Gears 2, I was on the fence about buying this game. He wrote this entry after multiple friends of his (including myself) asked him how he liked it. I'd take his 1-hour opinion over a GOW fanboy's opinion any day. My point is, some people do give a fuck.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Enigma777

It's the best Gears game out there, and I'd like to think there's more than enough changes that make it feel different enough. For one: the entire tone of the game.

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RAmpersaND

To clarify: I wrote this "First Impressions" piece after playing Gears 3 for just two hours. In that time, I completed the first act of the game's campaign, along with one match each of King of the Hill and Team Deathmatch. Having now completed the second act of the game's campaign, I'm more optimistic about the quality of the full single-player experience; after several matches of Execution played with a friend, I've started to enjoy the game's multi-player more, as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.