Gears of War 3: Random thoughts and impressions (SPOILARZ)

Posted by Village_Guy (2579 posts) -

THESE BE DANGEROUS WATERS. SPOILERS AHEAD. SERIOUSLY.

Story, characters...

I will applaud Epic for actually adding closure and really making it the final chapter in a trilogy. With the Lambent and Imulsion destroyed and most, if not all, the Locust wiped out. I don't doubt that they will make more Gears games in the future, but they put an end to this story and chapter of the universe.

I was also very happy with most of the character development especially Marcus came across as a much more like-able character than in the first two games. And when Dom sacrificed himself, I thought it was a great moment with the Mad World instrumental and all that, although it didn't really have the impact that I would have wished (and maybe expected).

Adam Fenix plays a major role and the interaction between him and Marcus are alright and he is handled the way I think he should, so I don't know what more to say about that...

As for other characters I was happy with them generally, didn't care much for Jace though, but I really liked Clayton Carmine and I wish that he was with you instead of Jace.

As for the Locust, with both RAAM and Skorge dead, Myrrah is the last leader of the Locust, but she still isn't seen or heard from in most of the game, until the last act or two at least. At first I was kinda disappointed with the way they handled her, but after thinking it over a couple of times, I liked the way Epic represents her in the game. She, and the rest of the Locust, are desperate and on the edge of extinction after all.

Campaign, gameplay...

The campaign is pretty much what you come to expect from a Gears game, except brighter and more colors :P

No, seriously though, the gameplay is nothing super new or exciting, but the additions of some new Locust and the whole Lambent do change up the firefights a bit and is a short breath of fresh air. Also Gunkers and Armored Kantus are tough sons of bitches and are almost mini-bosses.

Talking 'bout bosses, the two previous games had some good and some bad bosses, the third installment continues this Hit-and-Miss pattern, although there are nothing as bad as the disappointing Skorge boss-fight from two, or the straight-up crappy Corpser fight from one.

This time around we even got a GOOD Corpser boss battle!

Horde, Beast and Multiplayer, oh my...

The "new and improved" Horde mode is, well, new and improved and I like it. Building fortifications and turrets while also having to tackle boss waves that can rip through your defenses is a good balance, although I heard (not played it so much yet) that the difficulty is pretty easy for the first 30-40 or so waves and then the last 20-ish waves are alot harder.

Beast mode is fun and it is great to play the Locust, and not just Drones like in multiplayer, and blast away at the humans. Although you are under alot of time pressure and it kinda limits the fooling around that you can do, so that is a little disappointing...

I haven't really touched the multiplayer yet, it seems solid though and I really enjoyed the beta. Might write some words later though...

Disappointments and Shortcomings *angry face* Grrr!

First of all. Epic. Why the hell didn't you make an awesome vehicle sequence, I really really liked the Centaur and Brumak parts of Gears 2 (and the Junker in Gears 1 was alright, but whatever...) and I was excited for another epic sequence like that. But wait, we didn't get one. Instead we got a couple of parts with Silverbacks (which are good, but can't compete with the Centaur or Brumak one bit) a couple of on-rails shooting segments in the back of a truck.

And then there are the horrible Submarine sequence. Boring and disorientating, and I wasn't in danger of dying on Hardcore even though I didn't know where the enemies came from half the time. Bad, bad on-rails sequence makes me sad :(

And what about the Sires from Gears 2 that whole segment makes no sense and that story never got resolved or even mentioned in Gears 3.

Lastly the Locust Queen, Myrrah, why does she look like a human. And why didn't see die along the Lambent, Adam Fenix and the Locust when the weapon was fired (they didn't name that one did they?). Why Epic, why does she look like a human? Tell me?! I want to know!

Other than that I didn't feel like much story and such wasn't covered and I would recommend it to whoever is interested, because it is a great package and great game overall.

OVER AND OUT... or something...

#1 Posted by Village_Guy (2579 posts) -

THESE BE DANGEROUS WATERS. SPOILERS AHEAD. SERIOUSLY.

Story, characters...

I will applaud Epic for actually adding closure and really making it the final chapter in a trilogy. With the Lambent and Imulsion destroyed and most, if not all, the Locust wiped out. I don't doubt that they will make more Gears games in the future, but they put an end to this story and chapter of the universe.

I was also very happy with most of the character development especially Marcus came across as a much more like-able character than in the first two games. And when Dom sacrificed himself, I thought it was a great moment with the Mad World instrumental and all that, although it didn't really have the impact that I would have wished (and maybe expected).

Adam Fenix plays a major role and the interaction between him and Marcus are alright and he is handled the way I think he should, so I don't know what more to say about that...

As for other characters I was happy with them generally, didn't care much for Jace though, but I really liked Clayton Carmine and I wish that he was with you instead of Jace.

As for the Locust, with both RAAM and Skorge dead, Myrrah is the last leader of the Locust, but she still isn't seen or heard from in most of the game, until the last act or two at least. At first I was kinda disappointed with the way they handled her, but after thinking it over a couple of times, I liked the way Epic represents her in the game. She, and the rest of the Locust, are desperate and on the edge of extinction after all.

Campaign, gameplay...

The campaign is pretty much what you come to expect from a Gears game, except brighter and more colors :P

No, seriously though, the gameplay is nothing super new or exciting, but the additions of some new Locust and the whole Lambent do change up the firefights a bit and is a short breath of fresh air. Also Gunkers and Armored Kantus are tough sons of bitches and are almost mini-bosses.

Talking 'bout bosses, the two previous games had some good and some bad bosses, the third installment continues this Hit-and-Miss pattern, although there are nothing as bad as the disappointing Skorge boss-fight from two, or the straight-up crappy Corpser fight from one.

This time around we even got a GOOD Corpser boss battle!

Horde, Beast and Multiplayer, oh my...

The "new and improved" Horde mode is, well, new and improved and I like it. Building fortifications and turrets while also having to tackle boss waves that can rip through your defenses is a good balance, although I heard (not played it so much yet) that the difficulty is pretty easy for the first 30-40 or so waves and then the last 20-ish waves are alot harder.

Beast mode is fun and it is great to play the Locust, and not just Drones like in multiplayer, and blast away at the humans. Although you are under alot of time pressure and it kinda limits the fooling around that you can do, so that is a little disappointing...

I haven't really touched the multiplayer yet, it seems solid though and I really enjoyed the beta. Might write some words later though...

Disappointments and Shortcomings *angry face* Grrr!

First of all. Epic. Why the hell didn't you make an awesome vehicle sequence, I really really liked the Centaur and Brumak parts of Gears 2 (and the Junker in Gears 1 was alright, but whatever...) and I was excited for another epic sequence like that. But wait, we didn't get one. Instead we got a couple of parts with Silverbacks (which are good, but can't compete with the Centaur or Brumak one bit) a couple of on-rails shooting segments in the back of a truck.

And then there are the horrible Submarine sequence. Boring and disorientating, and I wasn't in danger of dying on Hardcore even though I didn't know where the enemies came from half the time. Bad, bad on-rails sequence makes me sad :(

And what about the Sires from Gears 2 that whole segment makes no sense and that story never got resolved or even mentioned in Gears 3.

Lastly the Locust Queen, Myrrah, why does she look like a human. And why didn't see die along the Lambent, Adam Fenix and the Locust when the weapon was fired (they didn't name that one did they?). Why Epic, why does she look like a human? Tell me?! I want to know!

Other than that I didn't feel like much story and such wasn't covered and I would recommend it to whoever is interested, because it is a great package and great game overall.

OVER AND OUT... or something...

#2 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -

Yeah they did leave a few loose ends in the story, probably intentionally. This won't be the final gears game.

#3 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1177 posts) -

Id say the Queen doesn't "look" human, she IS human as she wasn't effected by the waves form the machine (unlike the locust). This was way too big of a question to leav unanswered so im guessing this is the Campaign DLC plot. While the submarine part was pretty dull (although looked great) I'm not bothered they didn't put a lot of vehicle stuff in there, I hated the one from Gears 1. Seriously...a truck that cant use and engine AND a spotlight at the same time? 
I felt the enemys were almost prefectly balanced in this on as they were thrown at the player with just the eight variation to not feel like you were just fighting the same old thing time and time again. 
For me the part that kinda overshadows an almost perfect moment was when Dom hops in the van and drives to save the others. They were all up the same height and pretty much all as close to the van as Dom was so why didn't they all just jump down onto the van and take off? It would have been great if Dom jumps into the van and starts the engine only for thre player to be confronted with the decision arrows asking "Save your fellow Gears" or "They had a good run, now hit the gas and don't look back" :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.