Horde Quick Matches - what is it with all the drop outs?

#1 Posted by gateht (95 posts) -

It's a real shame that Horde is starting to be ruined for me. Over the past couple of days I've played in half a dozen Horde Quick Matches - each and every one of them was disrupted my people dropping out. For one reason or another, people seem to think it's acceptable to play a few waves of Horde, get bored, and leave. This is destroying the game mode for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this. From now on, I will no longer play online and will stick to custom matches with friends I can trust!

#2 Edited by MHumphreys89 (710 posts) -

People do not have an infinite amount of time and the Horde mode can be pretty lengthy; I don't think it's people's interest in most cases.

#3 Posted by gateht (95 posts) -

@MrCroftLover said:

People do not have an infinite amount of time and the Horde mode can be pretty lengthy..

I do realise it's a commitment but if people aren't prepared to see it through then they shouldn't join a match to start off with! Also, most of the drops occur pre-wave 20 so I think a lot of people petulantly don't like the team they're in and simply leave. Idiots.

#4 Edited by nywt (439 posts) -

So you're saying that people can't join a game and unwind for anything less than the time it would take to play through the entirety of horde mode? If that's the case, your first mistake is playing with random people. If you are absolutely determined to play through all fifty waves, you had better find some friends to do it with.

#5 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Eh, I think it's insane to sit there playing through all those rounds in one sitting. I'd be bored as fuck. Then again, I've had Gears 3 since launch and am just in Act 2 and barely played any online, so long-term Gears-ing just isn't for me.

#6 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Yep, that's randoms on XBL for you. I recommend finding a party of friends to play with - that's the only way I'd go anywhere near Horde mode.

#7 Edited by Mike76x (555 posts) -

A lot of people are doing it to get the Architect medal.

Rushing to get the first free base, then leaving everyone to deal with a shitty base location.

The thing that I can't stand now are the people that bitch about people stealing their kills.

It's horde mode, wait 5 minutes and you'll be begging for help with your kills, and to picked up off the floor.

#8 Posted by Pomeroy (105 posts) -

@nywt said:

So you're saying that people can't join a game and unwind for anything less than the time it would take to play through the entirety of horde mode? If that's the case, your first mistake is playing with random people. If you are absolutely determined to play through all fifty waves, you had better find some friends to do it with.

Fuhreal.

IMO Horde mode is lame in Gears 3, so I don't play it for long. Playing with friends should be the go-to choice anyway. Personally I choose quick match when I want to play a few waves, but don't want to play alone or go through the effort of bothering my friends.

#9 Posted by JoeyF (110 posts) -

@gateht: Yeah, it's kind of a drag when that happens, I know how you feel. Send a friend request over to me, I play with quite a few committed guys, and we usually just throw game requests to everyone on our friends list to start up a Horde. Not a perfect system, but it works.

We want to do a 50 wave Hardcore soon!

Gamertag: joeyfameli

#10 Posted by davidinwrofy (71 posts) -

Some sort of EXP penalty for leaving before wave 10 (or wave 20) would be nice to stop those super-early drop-outs. It would ensure that people take more seriously the act of joining a Horde game. You can't expect everyone to hang around for hours, but common courtesy would dictate that leaving after 3 waves is just rude. Yes, this is what "internet randoms" do, but there should be mechanisms in place to deter this sort of behaviour. What would really improve the mode in matchmaking for me would be the inclusion of separate playlists for the three key difficulty levels (Normal, Hardcore and Insane) and (or perhaps alternatively) the addition of a playlist that started at, say wave 25, for people who want to deal with the "second half" of Horde, (perhaps because they have 90 minutes, rather than 3 hours, to spare!) I'm sure Epic could implement this, and given the number of people playing Horde, playlist divisions (so long as there were only 3 or 4 of them) wouldn't affect waiting times too much.

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

They should implent a Firefight like option, where its only the first 10 waves (one full set in Reach).
But also give the option for an infinite (to 50 I mean) mode so players with more time can select that.

#12 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

You're insane! Most people don't want to sit and play for five/six hours every time. So they shouldn't join a match? THAT'S THE ONLY OPTION.

Ideally, they'd add an option to just do 10 waves (as suggested above) or, even better, re-matchmake after the boss rounds to fill the spaces of people who've dropped out. So if you have a couple of people drop out at round 28, it'll find you two people to replace them come round 31.

#13 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

I can't even find people to play with on quick match.

#14 Posted by gateht (95 posts) -

@JoeyF: Cheers, Joey - I'll send over a friend request shortly.

@davidinwrofy: Some good ideas there, voting for difficulty should definitely be implemented.

To those that may have misunderstood: I fully understand that people may not have the three hours that it takes to complete Horde, but the problem is *early* drop-outs. You rarely see people drop at waves 30, 40, 50 etc. (unless the team repeatedly loses), but lots between 1-20. This absolutely ruins the game at an early stage. Once one person has left, you've lost a fifth of your fire-power and it's much more likely that others will also drop.

#15 Posted by lead_farmer (1040 posts) -

I'm having the same issue, but I also haven't played for a couple weeks. If anybody is down, I am.

#16 Posted by BleedingStarX (279 posts) -

I totally agree, I'm even getting people dropping out because they don't like the starting command point...

#17 Posted by shuref00t (110 posts) -

The only time I quit out early in Horde, is when I'm playing with random people, and they choose the map Trenches (I hate that map for Horde).

Otherwise, I usually stick it out.

#18 Posted by Benjo (77 posts) -

@gateht: I used to be frustrated by this as well. I was able to meet up with some good people over the course of Gears 2, two of which are not pretty good friends of mine. We play online a lot now, but you need to find a group that's up for lengthy Horde sessions first.

#19 Posted by GorillaMoPena (1926 posts) -

This thread should just be extended to "Online games: What's with all the dropouts?"

#20 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Pro Tip: If you plan on spending a long time in a horde session don't group with randoms.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.