Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Just speculation: Gears 3 as part of Windows 8 XBL launch

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GaspoweR

So we've heard this past week on a news post on Giant Bomb and in Tested about Xbox Live being integrated into Windows 8 and the possibility of it replacing Games for Windows Live on the PC platform for games. This is probably a result of Microsoft attempting to further synchronized all their hardware with Windows such as XBL being on current Windows Phone 7 phones. Instead of using GFW Live for PCs in future hardware, they went ahead and used Xbox Live on future Windows 8 PCs considering that the Xbox brand has been more popular and thus more marketable. We started seeing the shift towards XBL being on PC when Game for Windows was absorbed by Xbox.com this past July after their attempt of re-branding it last November as a browser based online store failed. With the advent of Steam and other publisher-focused online clients becoming prominent in the recent months, Microsoft then needs to stay relevant in order to compete. The current catalog of GFW games isn't much and thus with the upcoming launch of Windows 8 in the coming year, they would need to have games that can attract more consumers that would come out along side the launch of Xbox Live on the PC platform. Thus, I speculate that a PC version of Gears 3 would then be viable. That would be a big plus on the marketing side when you have one of the biggest games on the X360 come out alongside the launch of Windows 8/Xbox Live for PC. Other possible games would be Forza 4 and Fable: The Journey. I mentioned the latter game due to the fact that Microsoft has made the Kinect for Windows SDK open to other developers and also the existence of other Kinect-based hardware. The upcoming Kinect game being done by Crytek could also a possible launch title on the XBL marketplace along side the aforementioned games.We'll probably know in the next Microsoft games event for sure if all the above speculation would be proven true or otherwise.

So I'd like to ask for the opinions of other duders on the site. Do you think these games would possibly come out on the PC platform under the Xbox Live for PC banner? Do you have other games in mind that might come out under XBL for PC?

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Witzig

I think it will still be PC games like AoE and the xbox stuff will be zune and whatever other media that xbox live brings to the console.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Marz

Xbox Live on windows 8 is most likely a rebranding of GFWL to a more "popular" name to get people to buy into it (with a little overhaul in UI and etc so it's more functional than it is now).   Don't expect Windows 8 to suddenly play xbox games, they still need to be ported.   Also don't expect Gears to make an appearance on PC again.  Cliffy B has had a strong stance against it since Gears 2 and that game still hasn't made an appearance on PC, so it's even less likely Gears 3 is ported (but i guess there's still a possiblity)

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Afroman269

I'm going to go ahead and just say no.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GaspoweR

@Marz: Well, I didn't expect for something like that to happen like playing xbox games immediately on PC. But if they want the service to be successful in the PC, it wouldn't hurt to have certain XNA games or Xbox Live Arcade exclusive games to start appearing on the PC as well. The last big games that they've had for the past few months is just Age of Empires Online and Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition. I'm not sure if there are others.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.