Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Latest Gears of War Book Covers A Gap Between Games

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson
    Gears of War 2 didn't conclude on the best of notes. Sure, the survivors of Jacinto could theoretically rebuild their lives after the obliteration of the Locust horde by Marcus Fenix and his grizzled crew of curse-slinging manly men, but the new threat discovered in the process of doing so isn't going to just leave the planet alone. And it isn't, according to the third Gears of War book, Gears of War: Anvil Gate.

Announced earlier yesterday, Anvil Gate will act as a bridge between the events Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3 (there's a slight delay between the two). As such, it will deal with an inevitable event: a Lambent advance across the planet. But rather than detailing a full-scale between the COG and the new foes, Anvil focuses more on a specific instance--the defense of Jacinto. Here's the synopsis:    

With the Locust Horde seemingly destroyed, Jacinto's survivors have begun to rebuild human society on their island stronghold. Raiding pirate gangs take a toll--but it's nothing that Marcus Fenix and the Gears can't handle. Then the terrifying life-forms they thought they'd left behind--the Lambent, creatures even the Locust feared--begin to advance across the planet. Gears and gangs must fight side by side to stop their deadliest enemy yet, falling back on the savage tactics of another bloody siege: Anvil Gate.

No Caption Provided

Sci-fi writer Karen Traviss is penning Anvil Gate. You might know her. She's been responsible for a bunch of Star Wars expanded fiction novels, the Wess'har Wars series, and even a Halo book. Traviss is also penning Gears of War 3 proper's story, some related comics, and has written other Gears of War books, so she has an obvious investment in Anvil Gate and Epic Games' property as a whole. That's a good thing.

That said, I doubt there's a need to read anything to understand what will be going on in the Gears of War 3. Chainsaws, cursing, muscles, and aliens that need killing are all pretty easy things wrap your head around.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson
    Gears of War 2 didn't conclude on the best of notes. Sure, the survivors of Jacinto could theoretically rebuild their lives after the obliteration of the Locust horde by Marcus Fenix and his grizzled crew of curse-slinging manly men, but the new threat discovered in the process of doing so isn't going to just leave the planet alone. And it isn't, according to the third Gears of War book, Gears of War: Anvil Gate.

Announced earlier yesterday, Anvil Gate will act as a bridge between the events Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3 (there's a slight delay between the two). As such, it will deal with an inevitable event: a Lambent advance across the planet. But rather than detailing a full-scale between the COG and the new foes, Anvil focuses more on a specific instance--the defense of Jacinto. Here's the synopsis:    

With the Locust Horde seemingly destroyed, Jacinto's survivors have begun to rebuild human society on their island stronghold. Raiding pirate gangs take a toll--but it's nothing that Marcus Fenix and the Gears can't handle. Then the terrifying life-forms they thought they'd left behind--the Lambent, creatures even the Locust feared--begin to advance across the planet. Gears and gangs must fight side by side to stop their deadliest enemy yet, falling back on the savage tactics of another bloody siege: Anvil Gate.

No Caption Provided

Sci-fi writer Karen Traviss is penning Anvil Gate. You might know her. She's been responsible for a bunch of Star Wars expanded fiction novels, the Wess'har Wars series, and even a Halo book. Traviss is also penning Gears of War 3 proper's story, some related comics, and has written other Gears of War books, so she has an obvious investment in Anvil Gate and Epic Games' property as a whole. That's a good thing.

That said, I doubt there's a need to read anything to understand what will be going on in the Gears of War 3. Chainsaws, cursing, muscles, and aliens that need killing are all pretty easy things wrap your head around.
    milpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By milpool

AWWW COME ON

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By scarace360

So this will tell me how she got that buff?

Malc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Malc

GoW fiction is what least interests me about the series.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By hockeymask27

Awwwwwwww Come on!

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MadeinFinland

I read the first GoW book and it was... decent. Can't say that it's kept me thrilled for the other ones.

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By THRICE

Gears of War books? Oh what a read that must be. Shakespeare would be proud, "dost a rifle mounted chainsaw by any other name look any awesomer bro?".

fogh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fogh

"Dom! Bite my shiny metal ass!"
    dyong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dyong

Someone should just write a book that's about play-by-play summaries of various FPS matches over the years.

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Hashbrowns

I always thought there was some decent story material in the Gears of War universe, but Epic has little to no idea how to actually TELL that story.  That said, they did improve in Gears of War 2, and if the same degree of improvement happens in 3, it might be pretty good.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Jadeskye

Karen Traviss is an awesome Author. i'm excited to read this.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By MysteriousBob

Does anyone even care about the plot of Gears? Why would they make books of it, for god's sake?

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Burns098356GX

Jacintos Reminent also bridges the gap between the events immediately after sinking Jacinto up the relocation of the COG to the island they now have a base on. Honestly, there not overly well-written, but if your into the Gears lore there a definite read.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Burns09

Dude, this was not announced yesterday. It's been a well known fact she's writing this book and the next one, "Coalition's End". Also the previous novel ties up some lose threads from Gears 2, including where the survivors go.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RE_Player1

I bought the books for Mass Effect and even than I thought I was stupid for buying a video game book a.k.a an excuse to whore out the license. Who the hell would want to read a Gears of War book? COME ON!!!

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By RobotHamster

First two were pretty good and I can't wait to get this and the next one, they do a good job of filling in the gaps.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Zippedbinders

You know, if  Karen Traviss is good enough for Jerry Holkins, she's good enough for me. Glad to see a good sci-fi writer helping Gears narrative. 

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 131

User Lists: 34

#18  Edited By Junior_AIN

Gears of War book? I didn't know there was a GoW book....Not the best idea for a book in my opinion.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Julmust

"Also, it has thickly-muscled men in it."

So you're in it Nicholson?

sketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By sketch

Does the book tell the tale of how they lost their sleeves?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Dude, are you just stealing your headlines from my blog? :D 

And for the record - this is the THIRD Gears of war book, and the SECOND to bridge the gap between Gears Of War 2 and 3. Jacinto's Remnant is the first. There are also 2 more books being announced after Gears 3.  

All this information is already on the Gears Of War wiki page. 

*Sigh*

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Man, its pricey. 
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Damien

I'll read this.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By SSully

I really hate when action games like this or resistance put out books, it just seems like an excuse from telling the story in the game.  "Oh that doesnt make sense in the game because you have to read the book, DUHHHHH!" Just tell the story in the game properly.

magus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By magus213

Yeah, maybe I'll get to this after reading the library of Starcraft books. 

Or not.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#26  Edited By sammo21
    @scarace360:   Technically, if you read the books, its the food (if thats what you would want to call it) that's fed to the COGs that make them that large.  Supposed to be some sort of massive protein and everything.  I think I remember reading that in a book.  They prolly have the women-folk on it now.
    MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MichaelBach

They are trying to pull a Dragon Age on us. Don't find the characters or story interesting enough to read the book. The Dragon Age books were quite good.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PK_Koopa

I like Gears, but the plot and the characters of the game don't interest me enough to buy this.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By scarace360
    @sammo21: WTF do they feed um what steroids and steak.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#30  Edited By sammo21
    @scarace360:   I think they just feed them Double Downs in large portions, followed by skinwhiches...but they also drink Diet Coke so it's cool.  "Diet Coke?  Shit yeah."
    rav2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rav2002

Cant really see why this was posted on GB, granted there do seem to be people on here that were not aware of there being any GoW books. Speaking of those books, at least in my opinion, they are much better than people here are giving them credit for. The first really does a great job of fleshing out Dom and Marcus as characters, though I wish it had told a bit more about E-Day (maybe a future book?) Then again I guess reading paperback novels isn't such a popular thing to do with some people, to each their own I suppose.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By scarace360
    @sammo21: Fuck diet coke.
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I think they're overestimating both their audience and the calibre of the story they've created by writing a Gears of War book...

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By hollitz

SCRATCH ONE GRUB! 

The fact that this book exists and that it will be purchased by actual living people who understand words makes me sad. 
    What makes someone think that hunks of muscle mass bashing into each other for eight hours is a solid foundation for a story?  Gears 2 was a blast, but come on...the story in the Gears series is pretty bottom of the barrel.   

TehJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TehJames

I read the first GoW book and well, it sucked.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By datarez

Granted I'm biased since I wrote the gears wiki part on the books but I think Karen Traviss does a great job with the source material and is the best thing to ever happen to the Gears storyline.  The first book should have been included in the box of Gears 1 to help everyone figure out what the hell was going on.  I'm really happy they let her take over the story telling.  She does a good job with sci-fi action.

Buccura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Buccura

So wait, Gears of War has a plot now?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho

Cha ching 10 bux, right Brad?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By wrighteous86

Will this introduce Ice-T to the party?  If so, insta-buy!

Hellmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hellmouth

Hell yes. Time for a new read.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.