"Mad World" Playing on the Map "Gridlock"

#1 Posted by Eojay (184 posts) -

I got quite a surprise at the start of the second round.

#2 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Poignant.... frat boys will relate and shed tears as they get curb-stomped.

#3 Posted by benpicko (2008 posts) -

@FourWude said:

Even without the lyrics?

#4 Posted by Xevabis (65 posts) -

cool

#5 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

@benpicko said:

@FourWude said:

Even without the lyrics?

When there's bromance in the air, who needs the lyrics?

#6 Posted by dastly75 (112 posts) -

Experienced it, thought it was awesome.

#7 Posted by JamesKond (232 posts) -

Playing like that really captures the vibe of the first Gears trailer and the new one, shooting the shit out of people while getting overwhelmed with music.

#8 Posted by TheDoorman (534 posts) -

I'm not gonna lie, hearing mad world while shooting dudes on gridlock will totally bring back memories lol

#9 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

That's pretty cool. I like random easter eggs like this.

#10 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

Just went to check this out and Mad World didn't play. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say it's random or it needs to be triggered somehow.

#11 Posted by IBurningStar (2172 posts) -

That is actually kind of neat.

#12 Posted by ttocs (763 posts) -

That's a great bit of fan service. Now, if I could only say the same about the gun skins.

#13 Posted by MachoFantastico (4682 posts) -

Say what you will, I think it's rather awesome. Smart move on Epic's part to thrill dedicated fans.

#14 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

That's great! Only a couple more hours until my copy arrives...

#15 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

I've never heard of that song before, but I'm excited to hear some good music like that song on a multiplayer map. Very soothing.

Are there any other occurrences such as this in other maps?

#16 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

That must be the most expensive easter egg ever.

#17 Posted by JamesKond (232 posts) -

@I_smell: It also plays in the campaign at least once + it's a piano cover not the original :)

#18 Posted by MHumphreys89 (714 posts) -

Dude, what?!?

#19 Posted by Dogma (961 posts) -

I attended att launch party yesterday where people played the game at different TV:s. I sat a bit away on a sofa and talked to people. Suddenly I heard Mad World and looked around to see where the music came from. A friend of mine told me that it probably came from the TV that had a Gears of War 3 video collage that looped and that the editor had put in the music. Seemed reasonable BUT then I heard the music again and I could swear the music did NOT come from that direction. I thougt that the sound mabey bounced on the walls somehow. After a while I actually went up to the TV, boosted the volume and listened but couldn't hear anything. The music seemed like it had come from behind me but on those TV:s people played the campaign and one multiplayer match. I couldn't come from there, right?

I actually heard about this later when I came home the same night and it made my happy that I haven't loosed my mind. It was wierd because everyone else thought I imagining things and I couldn't explain or prove it myself. Anyhoo...it's a cool thing to put in the game.

#20 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

The first few notes will always play at the very beginning of Hotel's loading screen as well.

#21 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I really do love that song, to the point where I can't watch it in this scenario.

#22 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1177 posts) -
@FourWude said:

@benpicko said:

@FourWude said:

Even without the lyrics?

When there's bromance in the air, who needs the lyrics?

Isn't that the tag-line for the "House Party" movies?
#23 Posted by Swoxx (2998 posts) -

That's a really neat little thing to put in there. Cred Epic, cred

#24 Posted by TheOtherSuperMarioBro (60 posts) -

I imagine it would be awesome, but I haven't touched MP yet.

#25 Posted by rmanthorp (3943 posts) -

I love this.

#26 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (834 posts) -

Very nice touch from Epic. That original Gears of War trailer is still one of the best because of the use of this song.

#27 Posted by Oedipus (72 posts) -

Does anyone know what the trigger is for it? I feel poignant as hell when it plays, so I want it to play all the time.

#28 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Just happened to me but it stopped when I died :(

#29 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@Oedipus said:

Does anyone know what the trigger is for it? I feel poignant as hell when it plays, so I want it to play all the time.

You have to spawn on a certain side of Gridlock when playing any of the old Gears mode like Execution and Warzone.

#30 Posted by Eojay (184 posts) -

Incorrect. It's happened to me when spawning on both sides, and on TDM as well. From what I've read, it triggers during the second round if none of the ash-statues are destroyed.

#31 Posted by JokerFrown (307 posts) -

@leslij55 said:

Incorrect. It's happened to me when spawning on both sides, and on TDM as well. From what I've read, it triggers during the second round if none of the ash-statues are destroyed.

You are correct sir. The ash statues MUST be left unharmed.

#32 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

I love Donnie Darko, where that was semi-originally from. I think Tears For Fears is okay.

#33 Posted by Mordi (553 posts) -

@JamesKond said:

@I_smell: It also plays in the campaign at least once + it's a piano cover not the original :)

In the credits for the game it says that it was performed by Michael Andrews, so I think it's the same, only without vocals - making it an instrumental.

#34 Posted by LiquidPrince (15942 posts) -

That's great.

#35 Posted by Moztacular (467 posts) -

@FourWude: I dont know who you are but i love your sanchez icon/picture. that is all

#36 Posted by Creamypies (4064 posts) -

I was never the biggest Gears fan, but everything about this game seems totally awesome to me. I honestly can't wait to sink my teeth into this.

#37 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

I really appreciate the easter egg, but I also really, REALLY hate that song.

#38 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

@Moztacular said:

@FourWude: I dont know who you are but i love your sanchez icon/picture. that is all

Rick Dagless M.D. Long time no see.

Let's put our "past" differences behind us and let's be friends, Rick. What's happened, happened. And it was some scary shit.

#39 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -

I wanted the instrumental version of mad world they used in campaign to be on the soundtrack but it's not. And I'm having a hell of a time finding it anywhere else.

#40 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

I got it too the first time i played gridlock...damn the nostalgia...you know how much of my youth i wasted on gridlock during gears 1.

#41 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Holy shit this is so awesome, "managed" to get the song playing last night.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.