My Video Review of Gears of War 3 (CraigAA response)

#1 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -

READ BEFORE WATCHING/COMMENTING

Full Review (via Darkstation where I'm a reviewer)
After some nightmarish editing, I was finally able to put together a video review for Gears of War 3; one of this years most anticipated games. Yes, I'm well aware that my accent is weird, but there are subtitles embedded in the video -- cant see em? Get a better web browser.
I'm also not trying to promote any of my work; I wont ask you to rate or subscribe, I just want feedback on my work, so I can improve these in the future -- feel free to read the written review too!

#2 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -

@Popskinz: Do you get paid to review games?

#3 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

another shameless check out my youtube thread. nice

#4 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -
@RaikohBlade: No, but I'm often given review codes prior to a games release -- I write for Darkstation because I enjoy it, not because I get paid ;)
#5 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -

@Popskinz: I think you have potential, I hope you get paid in the future.

#6 Posted by laserbolts (5337 posts) -

Good review man well done. Gears is so awesome.

#7 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

I like your voice.

#8 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -
@RaikohBlade said:

@Popskinz: I think you have potential, I hope you get paid in the future.

Many thanks!

@laserbolts said:
Good review man well done. Gears is so awesome.

Thank you!

@Doctorchimp said:

I like your voice.

Haha!

@nail1080 said:

Another buffoon who bumps threads he dislikes and thus gives it more attention -- thanks!
#9 Posted by RadioactiveGazz (98 posts) -

@nail1080: People creating content for free, dude. take it or leave it. I really don't get why people get all shitty about this stuff. I have gotten accused of it before. Really, when people put a lot of effort to bring people their content, yet they have nowhere but forums to get it noticed, can you really blame them? It's not like it is harming him. I watched it, it was a solid review. I think people come on forums just to be dick to others most of the time. I know this is totally true, i just expect more from the GB community.

#10 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -
@RadioactiveGazz said:

@nail1080: People creating content for free, dude. take it or leave it. I really don't get why people get all shitty about this stuff. I have gotten accused of it before. Really, when people put a lot of effort to bring people their content, yet they have nowhere but forums to get it noticed, can you really blame them? It's not like it is harming him. I watched it, it was a solid review. I think people come on forums just to be dick to others most of the time. I know this is totally true, i just expect more from the GB community.

This, this a million friggin' times -- I find it extremely perplexing how people who dislike something, for some reason feels the need to comment on it, and what happens?  You bump it and give it more attention. Kind of a fail on that persons behalf. Making stuff like this is tough and time consuming, if someone's gonna bitch about it actually being linked in the first place, then i'd consider that person a troll.
#11 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

HAY GUYZ CHECK OUT THIS THING I MADE

@nail1080 said:

True

#12 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -
@shinigami420 said:

HAY GUYZ CHECK OUT THIS THING I MADE

@nail1080 said:

True

Yeah, well the two of you are morons for actually bumping this -- you guys must be true fans to help me out!
#13 Edited by MichaelBach (887 posts) -

@RadioactiveGazz: Agreed, well said!

@Popskinz: Good job on the review, don't listen to trolls that doesn't like free content :)

#14 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -
@MichaelBach said:

@RadioactiveGazz: Agreed, well said!

@Popskinz: Good job on the review, don't listen to trolls that doesn't like free content :)

Thank you! And I have no reason to be mad at the trolls -- they bump this stuff and cause it to get more attention. I'm actually not after views or subscribers, I just want feedback on how to improve these in the future, but that's a little too much to ask for it seems.
#15 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (183 posts) -

@Popskinz: It sounds a little too scripted, but perhaps changing your tone to match the good and bad qualities would raise the interest level. Tell jokes, show Gears being thrashed to show the significance of cover and the improvement in the enemy's AI. I didn't feel enough emotion in it.

#16 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -
@sesquipedalophobe said:

@Popskinz: It sounds a little too scripted, but perhaps changing your tone to match the good and bad qualities would raise the interest level. Tell jokes, show Gears being thrashed to show the significance of cover and the improvement in the enemy's AI. I didn't feel enough emotion in it.

I see. I don't think that humor should be part of a review, though, and I can't really come up with anything particularily funny or clever to say about Gears of War 3.
#17 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (183 posts) -

@Popskinz: You do have a pretty decent voice. The humor is sometimes needed to downplay noticeable flaws, leaving voyeurs less pleased with the game instead of the review itself. It's no big deal really. It's more so the tones and little insight on various things like the stadium's baseball hat to the interaction between the characters, which has been my favorite experience in all of the games. You gave it a fair score because like you said it was more evolutionary than revolutionary.

#18 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -
@sesquipedalophobe said:

@Popskinz: You do have a pretty decent voice. The humor is sometimes needed to downplay noticeable flaws, leaving voyeurs less pleased with the game instead of the review itself. It's no big deal really. It's more so the tones and little insight on various things like the stadium's baseball hat to the interaction between the characters, which has been my favorite experience in all of the games. You gave it a fair score because like you said it was more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Right, gotcha. Thanks!
#19 Posted by BasketSnake (1262 posts) -

BEGONE SWEDISH ACCENT!!!

#20 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -
@BasketSnake said:

BEGONE SWEDISH ACCENT!!!

Silence, you foul beast!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.