No, ask ME anything.

• 84 results
Posted by Sweep (8838 posts) -

A slur of Gears Of War 3 information got dumped onto the internet today as, with only one month until release, EPIC is beginning to slowly ramp up the hype. For me, that hype was maxxed out quite some time ago, so this new footage was fantastic to watch. I'm really pleased that the game is taking more time to flesh out the backstory of some of the characters. You can see the footage here:

However between Gears 2 and Gears 3, a lot of stuff happens. Two whole books worth of stuff, in fact. I read those books, the most recent of which was only released two weeks ago, and I have that knowledge. I wouldn't recommend you read them unless you love the Gears Universe stupid amounts, but they are great for general backstory and go into a lot of detail about Marcus and Dom growing up, for example. Anyways, I appreciate most of you aren't going to read those books, so for anyone who is interested, here's the important stuff:

If you plan on reading this book then SPOILERS.

EDIT: To clarify, all this information is taken from the official Gears Of War books by Karen Traviss. I did not illegally download the game -____-

CONTEXT

As Jeff mentioned in the video, the COG has been disbanded. After Jacinto was sunk the COG island-hopped until they landed on Vectes, an old naval base. Vectes contained two settlements, civilian and stranded towns that, due to a deep sea trench, had never seen a locust before. The COG quickly took care of the stranded problem and integrated into the town of Pelruan - those of you might remember it as "Old Town" from the Gears 3 Beta - where they prospered for a short while, assuming that the locust had been defeated and and straglers couldn't tunnel beneath the abyssal-trench. However the lambent eventually turn up in the form of several lambent Leviathans (That Giant underwater Boss from Gears 2) and spray polyps everywhere. Polyps are the smallest form of lambent, effectively replacing tickers in Gears 3. You can see them scuttling about in the new footage.

Old Town

Pretty soon ships start disappearing and "stalks" start cropping up all over the island. These stalks, as shown in the video, drop various lambent dudes everywhere. They also kill all surrounding wildlife. As they start spreading across the island, the COG realise they can't hope to defend themselves. Chairman Prescott calls a vote and despite only 25% of the remaining population wanting to leave, orders the evacuation of Vectes. Hoffman tells him to go fuck himself and steals an encrypted data disk from Prescott's desk. Prescott refuses to tell him what's on it, and denies any involvement in the creation of the lambent, despite Hoffman accusing him of keeping information withheld. You may remember the sires in during Gears 2 as the cause of this. After Hoffman takes control of the COG, Prescott leaves with his two private protection Gears, and a stack of lambent corpse samples. Hoffman orders the last remaining navy submarine to follow Prescott's boat but despite keeping a close eye on it, Prescott disappears and the boat is found floating empty in a patch of sea.

With Vectes slowly being corrupted by stalks, the COG disbands. Hoffman takes the largest amount of civilians and the most vulnerable members of the group (the untrained population of Pelruan) to Anvil Gate, a mountain-top fort which he defended during the Pendulum wars, earning him an Embry Star. The fort is considered impenetrable and has a working hydro-electric power supply. However those of you who remember the Gears 3 demo at E3 earlier this year will remember that level is called "Anvil Gate" and it was getting pretty badly fucked up. Dizzy and Bernie Mataki (who is now Hoffman's girlfriend) also go with him, as well as a platoon of Gears led by Sargent Rossi.

Delta Squad remain with the Navy as the roaming strike force, to be flown out to any of the new settlements that need help. The navy is led by Quentin Michaelson, though Delta Squad is (I assume) being led by Anya as she holds the highest rank as Lieutenant. Delta consists of: Marcus, Dom, Baird, Cole, Anya, Sam, Jace, Carmine.

Here's some basic info that you may or may not find interesting:

• Marcus and Anya are a thing.

Wooooo.

• Dom and Sam are almost a thing.

But despite Sam's advances, Dom refuses to get close to anyone ever again, because he's all emo now. As Jeff mentioned, these guys are on their last legs. Dom has decided that the only reason he is staying alive is to protect Marcus, as he has nothing else worth living for.

• Jack, the robot, is fucked.

All the little robot things are broken except for Jack, which Baird is trying to fix. In the fourth book (yes, there are 4 fucking Gears books) Baird mentions that he's trying to figure out how the cloaking device works and see if he can make it work on anything that isn't a robot. As the last remaining smart-person in the COG, Baird is routinely tasked with fixing/operating complicated machinery, and as mentioned in the new video, Jack is broken. No more Jack :(

• The COG have no fuel or supplies.

When the stalks started tearing up Vectes the farmland was slowly killed. The remaining cattle, sheep, pigs, were either taken aboard the ships or hacked up and put on ice - though there weren't many of them so I guess they worked through that stuff pretty quick.

• Oh yeah, Clayton Carmine may have an obsession with Bacon.

In the book he is seen standing outside a farm and talking to the pigs, telling them they are going to be bacon soon. And then in the new video when the Stranded guy offers them bacon he goes "mmm, bacon" - so this might be a recurring thing. Which would be awesome.

• When Hoffman arrives at Anvil Gate, a bunch of Pesengas show up.

Pesengas are COG troops and are basically ninja mercenaries. I would love them to be in Gears 3 - that would be amazing. They fight with giant swords (www.GiantSwords.com - it's a website, about... swords?) instead of guns, can move silently, and are generally badass. They are all members of a hill tribe from the mountains up by Anvil Gate and signed up to fight for money during the Pendulum Wars, not any political reason. The grandson of a Pesenga who fought with Hoffman duing the Pendulum Wars offers, with his family, to help Hoffman defend Anvil Gate from the Lambent. Padrick Salton also shows up, another sniper from the pendulum wars who was in the same squad as Marcus and Carlos (Dom's brother) during the Pendulum Wars.

• Pressing the Left Stick to put a target on enemies.

As Jeff mentions, this isn't especially useful when playing solo, but when you are in a multiplayer match and trying to show your team-mates where enemies are, this is really useful. This is probably more of a co-op tool than an effective way of getting your AI buddies to target certain enemies.

• Gorasnaya

"Who?" - yeah, you can't be blamed for not knowing who these guys are. Gorasnaya are a bunch of guys who showed up out of nowhere and joined the COG on Vectes, but were actually their enemies during the Pendulum Wars. There are still many remaining grudges but by the end of the book they are all chummy again. When the COG disbands they return to their home island, so I don't know how much play they will get in the third game. I tend to think of these guys as the Russians of the COG universe.

• Stranded

The "stranded" model is the one the COG chose to adapt, opting for lots of small settlements instead of one large group. As the COG has finally been disbanded the stranded are no longer seen as full enemies, rather as another stranded group themselves - so as shown in the video, there are frequent trade negotiations with the other stranded groups.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, though if you have any questions then I shall do my best to answer them. Hopefully that fills in the blanks left by Jeff during the preview.

Thanks For Reading

Love Sweep

#1 Edited by Sweep (8838 posts) -

A slur of Gears Of War 3 information got dumped onto the internet today as, with only one month until release, EPIC is beginning to slowly ramp up the hype. For me, that hype was maxxed out quite some time ago, so this new footage was fantastic to watch. I'm really pleased that the game is taking more time to flesh out the backstory of some of the characters. You can see the footage here:

However between Gears 2 and Gears 3, a lot of stuff happens. Two whole books worth of stuff, in fact. I read those books, the most recent of which was only released two weeks ago, and I have that knowledge. I wouldn't recommend you read them unless you love the Gears Universe stupid amounts, but they are great for general backstory and go into a lot of detail about Marcus and Dom growing up, for example. Anyways, I appreciate most of you aren't going to read those books, so for anyone who is interested, here's the important stuff:

If you plan on reading this book then SPOILERS.

EDIT: To clarify, all this information is taken from the official Gears Of War books by Karen Traviss. I did not illegally download the game -____-

CONTEXT

As Jeff mentioned in the video, the COG has been disbanded. After Jacinto was sunk the COG island-hopped until they landed on Vectes, an old naval base. Vectes contained two settlements, civilian and stranded towns that, due to a deep sea trench, had never seen a locust before. The COG quickly took care of the stranded problem and integrated into the town of Pelruan - those of you might remember it as "Old Town" from the Gears 3 Beta - where they prospered for a short while, assuming that the locust had been defeated and and straglers couldn't tunnel beneath the abyssal-trench. However the lambent eventually turn up in the form of several lambent Leviathans (That Giant underwater Boss from Gears 2) and spray polyps everywhere. Polyps are the smallest form of lambent, effectively replacing tickers in Gears 3. You can see them scuttling about in the new footage.

Old Town

Pretty soon ships start disappearing and "stalks" start cropping up all over the island. These stalks, as shown in the video, drop various lambent dudes everywhere. They also kill all surrounding wildlife. As they start spreading across the island, the COG realise they can't hope to defend themselves. Chairman Prescott calls a vote and despite only 25% of the remaining population wanting to leave, orders the evacuation of Vectes. Hoffman tells him to go fuck himself and steals an encrypted data disk from Prescott's desk. Prescott refuses to tell him what's on it, and denies any involvement in the creation of the lambent, despite Hoffman accusing him of keeping information withheld. You may remember the sires in during Gears 2 as the cause of this. After Hoffman takes control of the COG, Prescott leaves with his two private protection Gears, and a stack of lambent corpse samples. Hoffman orders the last remaining navy submarine to follow Prescott's boat but despite keeping a close eye on it, Prescott disappears and the boat is found floating empty in a patch of sea.

With Vectes slowly being corrupted by stalks, the COG disbands. Hoffman takes the largest amount of civilians and the most vulnerable members of the group (the untrained population of Pelruan) to Anvil Gate, a mountain-top fort which he defended during the Pendulum wars, earning him an Embry Star. The fort is considered impenetrable and has a working hydro-electric power supply. However those of you who remember the Gears 3 demo at E3 earlier this year will remember that level is called "Anvil Gate" and it was getting pretty badly fucked up. Dizzy and Bernie Mataki (who is now Hoffman's girlfriend) also go with him, as well as a platoon of Gears led by Sargent Rossi.

Delta Squad remain with the Navy as the roaming strike force, to be flown out to any of the new settlements that need help. The navy is led by Quentin Michaelson, though Delta Squad is (I assume) being led by Anya as she holds the highest rank as Lieutenant. Delta consists of: Marcus, Dom, Baird, Cole, Anya, Sam, Jace, Carmine.

Here's some basic info that you may or may not find interesting:

Wooooo.

But despite Sam's advances, Dom refuses to get close to anyone ever again, because he's all emo now. As Jeff mentioned, these guys are on their last legs. Dom has decided that the only reason he is staying alive is to protect Marcus, as he has nothing else worth living for.

• Jack, the robot, is fucked.

All the little robot things are broken except for Jack, which Baird is trying to fix. In the fourth book (yes, there are 4 fucking Gears books) Baird mentions that he's trying to figure out how the cloaking device works and see if he can make it work on anything that isn't a robot. As the last remaining smart-person in the COG, Baird is routinely tasked with fixing/operating complicated machinery, and as mentioned in the new video, Jack is broken. No more Jack :(

• The COG have no fuel or supplies.

When the stalks started tearing up Vectes the farmland was slowly killed. The remaining cattle, sheep, pigs, were either taken aboard the ships or hacked up and put on ice - though there weren't many of them so I guess they worked through that stuff pretty quick.

• Oh yeah, Clayton Carmine may have an obsession with Bacon.

In the book he is seen standing outside a farm and talking to the pigs, telling them they are going to be bacon soon. And then in the new video when the Stranded guy offers them bacon he goes "mmm, bacon" - so this might be a recurring thing. Which would be awesome.

• When Hoffman arrives at Anvil Gate, a bunch of Pesengas show up.

Pesengas are COG troops and are basically ninja mercenaries. I would love them to be in Gears 3 - that would be amazing. They fight with giant swords (www.GiantSwords.com - it's a website, about... swords?) instead of guns, can move silently, and are generally badass. They are all members of a hill tribe from the mountains up by Anvil Gate and signed up to fight for money during the Pendulum Wars, not any political reason. The grandson of a Pesenga who fought with Hoffman duing the Pendulum Wars offers, with his family, to help Hoffman defend Anvil Gate from the Lambent. Padrick Salton also shows up, another sniper from the pendulum wars who was in the same squad as Marcus and Carlos (Dom's brother) during the Pendulum Wars.

• Pressing the Left Stick to put a target on enemies.

As Jeff mentions, this isn't especially useful when playing solo, but when you are in a multiplayer match and trying to show your team-mates where enemies are, this is really useful. This is probably more of a co-op tool than an effective way of getting your AI buddies to target certain enemies.

• Gorasnaya

"Who?" - yeah, you can't be blamed for not knowing who these guys are. Gorasnaya are a bunch of guys who showed up out of nowhere and joined the COG on Vectes, but were actually their enemies during the Pendulum Wars. There are still many remaining grudges but by the end of the book they are all chummy again. When the COG disbands they return to their home island, so I don't know how much play they will get in the third game. I tend to think of these guys as the Russians of the COG universe.

• Stranded

The "stranded" model is the one the COG chose to adapt, opting for lots of small settlements instead of one large group. As the COG has finally been disbanded the stranded are no longer seen as full enemies, rather as another stranded group themselves - so as shown in the video, there are frequent trade negotiations with the other stranded groups.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, though if you have any questions then I shall do my best to answer them. Hopefully that fills in the blanks left by Jeff during the preview.

Thanks For Reading

Love Sweep

#2 Posted by ZombiePie (5633 posts) -

Does this game have blood?

#3 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

How many more things are there?

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading.

#5 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I figured you would do something like this, I read the first two books, haven't finished the third one yet and yea they definitely do add a lot more to the story.  Great post!

#6 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Gears of War 3 just started looking hella better. I cant wait to play the game, shame that this is the last one. Oh well :/

#7 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Tell me more about the ending

#8 Posted by Sweep (8838 posts) -

@Yanngc33: Rainbows.

#9 Posted by ZombiePie (5633 posts) -

Can you confirm the existence of hamburgers in the game?

#10 Posted by alternate (2694 posts) -

Marcus and Anya are a thing

Great, now I can't get a ton of filthy VO lines out of my head from when those two are in bed - "Anya, suc...."  No, too perverse to put on a forum.  *shudder*
#11 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

All of that was from the books? Is there any one book out of all of them that is worth reading? I love me some Gears but I got bored in the first third of the Aspho Fields book. The stuff about the Chairman sounds interesting though. (Can't believe I'm intrigued by Gears fiction)

#12 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -
@Sweep said:

@Yanngc33: Rainbows.

:O
#13 Posted by Sweep (8838 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

We aren't talking about that right now.

@Afroman269 said:

All of that was from the books? Is there any one book out of all of them that is worth reading? I love me some Gears but I got bored in the first third of the Aspho Fields book. The stuff about the Chairman sounds interesting though. (Can't believe I'm intrigued by Gears fiction)

If you just want the stuff between Gears 2 and 3 then you only need to read Anvil Gate and Coalitions End - the two most recent books. The first couple do a lot of recycling information that is redundant to anyone who has played Gears 2 and it makes it incredibly slow to read. However the books don't re-explain anything that has been touched on in one of the earlier novels, so if you hop right into book three then prepare for a pretty hefty bombardment of random characters and locations.

In general the books aren't too bad. There's a bit of a juxtaposition between the games, because obviously the games have to work independently - so a lot of the information in the games is presented as brand new, even though it's old hat to anyone who has read the books. One thing that irritated me was that Hoffman is one of the main characters in the book, and he is given a lot of backstory, but in the game he is stupidly one dimensional (the gruff US military commander stereotype). There is a lot of information about his beef with Marcus though, and about why he left him to die in prison, which was interesting.

My main criticism of the books is that after a while all the characters kind of blur together. None of them are well written enough to stand out individually - they are all this generic build of gnarly space-marine who are constantly cracking jokes - there isn't a lot of variation and it can make the book a little monotonous.

#14 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

Can you confirm "cover" mechanics?

#16 Posted by Slaker117 (4836 posts) -
@Management said:

Can you confirm "cover" mechanics?

Given the way Jeff was playing, I'm pretty sure they took that out.
#17 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -

What is the validity of Durgers making an appearance? 

#18 Posted by Bobstar (310 posts) -

Sweep.

You're awsome.

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:

No. It was the first thing the Locust destroyed when they came to Earth or whatever. Didn't you play Gears 1?
#20 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

Anything? Are Marcus and Dom finally coming out of the closet in this game, and will this be part of the gameplay by using an adaptation of the cover system where the waist-high wall is replaced by Marcus. Hot.

#21 Posted by rmanthorp (3911 posts) -

You are a crazy fool. Confirm or confirm?

#22 Posted by ajamafalous (11944 posts) -

What's it like being a hamburger?

#23 Posted by Bocam (3706 posts) -

Have you read the 4 Gears books?

#24 Posted by rmanthorp (3911 posts) -

Wooooo.

So Dom and Marcus are still a thing? WOO HOO!

#25 Edited by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

As long as we get more great lines like "THEY'RE SINKING CITIES WITH A GIANT WORM" and "What do I look like a fucking botanist? Some kind of plant I dunno", I'll be happy. I genuinely love those lines.

#26 Posted by Sweep (8838 posts) -

@Rufi91: We will have more information about this at E3.

@Bocam: Yes. Don't judge me.

@ajamafalous said:

What's it like being a hamburger?

It's like being hit in the face by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

#27 Posted by sirdesmond (1234 posts) -

Will the game feature any musical numbers (singing, dancing, or both)?

#28 Posted by Yummylee (21478 posts) -

Marcus and Anya, eh? So love can bloom on the battlefield.  

I'm definitely a fan of the games, though with only a Silver account I only go in for the split-screen campaign, so I'm not in a rush to spend £40 for Gears 3. 

#29 Posted by Sweep (8838 posts) -

@sirdesmond said:

Will the game feature any musical numbers (singing, dancing, or both)?

God I hope so.

#30 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

I enjoyed anvil gate a lot will have to pick the next book up. Also the president had a secret disk that baked could not hack @jozzy

#31 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

So is Carmine going to die? What was the outcome of that T-Shirt thing. 
If he does die, maybe it should be a bacon related death.

#32 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

From the video at least I saw 4 COGs constantly....can we expect 4 player co-op?

#33 Posted by EveretteScott (1452 posts) -
@Sweep: But despite Sam's advances, Dom refuses to get close to anyone ever again, because he's all emo now

Stopped reading there. Your opinion and use of the word 'emo' make you seem like a child.
#34 Posted by JJOR64 (18942 posts) -

Does this game have E. Honda in it?

#35 Posted by Sweep (8838 posts) -

@Resident4t said:

So is Carmine going to die? What was the outcome of that T-Shirt thing. If he does die, maybe it should be a bacon related death.

They haven't released details of this yet.

@blacklabeldomm said:

From the video at least I saw 4 COGs constantly....can we expect 4 player co-op?

Yeah, they already said the full game supports 4 player online co-op.

#36 Posted by Bocam (3706 posts) -

@Sweep: Are they well written?

#37 Posted by Sweep (8838 posts) -

@EveretteScott said:

@Sweep: Your opinion and use of the word 'emo' make you seem like a child.

You don't know my opinion of it, because I haven't given any. Emo is widely understood to mean "emotional" and the stereotype with which it's associated is one of depression. I'd say that summarises Dom's mental state pretty well. So whatever insult you imagined had just been aimed at "emo" culture is fictitious, and your knee-jerk defence was unjustified.

#38 Posted by Sweep (8838 posts) -

@Bocam: ...I've read worse? They are pretty trashy.

#39 Posted by TheHT (11102 posts) -

How accurate and sensitive do you feel their depiction of the war with the Locust Horde holds up in this latest recent interative addition to the franchise of which there will be at time of release be three interactive software titles for which will be available to purchase, please thank you.

#40 Posted by Bocam (3706 posts) -

@Sweep: Then do they have homoerotic subtext? Like Dom talking about Marcus's big gun or something like that?

#41 Posted by GunstarRed (5103 posts) -

Do they ever explain if Wretches are like Locust dogs or can they sit around chatting with the bigger Locust dudes, Ive always wondered this.  Someone obviously cared enough to make them little bits of clothing.  On that note  who makes Locust clothing? Are there locust ladies?(other than beserkers) What do the Locust do on a first date?
#42 Posted by KarlPilkington (2710 posts) -

@marioncobretti said:

Do they ever explain if Wretches are like Locust dogs or can they sit around chatting with the bigger Locust dudes, Ive always wondered this. Someone obviously cared enough to make them little bits of clothing. On that note who makes Locust clothing? Are there locust ladies?(other than beserkers) What do the Locust do on a first date?

I'd be for having a Wretch as a pet, as long as it wasn't a lambent one.

#43 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

Is Jeff Bridges in it?

#44 Posted by Sweep (8838 posts) -

@Bocam said:

@Sweep: Then do they have homoerotic subtext? Like Dom talking about Marcus's big gun or something like that?

I'm sure you could find something in there. Whatever floats your boat :D

@marioncobretti said:

Do they ever explain if Wretches are like Locust dogs or can they sit around chatting with the bigger Locust dudes, Ive always wondered this. Someone obviously cared enough to make them little bits of clothing. On that note who makes Locust clothing? Are there locust ladies?(other than beserkers) What do the Locust do on a first date?

I want to know how they get clothes too but unfortunately not. Apparently beserkers are the only female locust, and the only way to get more locust is to rape a beserker. As in, that's an actual thing: Locusts only reproduce through rape.

#45 Posted by GunstarRed (5103 posts) -
@Sweep
Wow, You'd think it would be the other way around, Youd have to have a bunch of guts to go anywhere near one of those things..  It does make sense though the Locust do seem a bit rapey.
#46 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I hope you get banned for posting spoilers.

trollface.jpg

#47 Posted by supermike6 (3556 posts) -

Why would I ask Mass Effect about Gears of War 3? 

I don't feel like he would have very many answers.

#48 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

does cole train yell out "whooo!" ?

#49 Posted by Sweep (8838 posts) -

@supermike6 said:

Why would I ask Mass Effect about Gears of War 3? I don't feel like he would have very many answers.

Mass Effect is a really cool guy.

#50 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Do Anya and Carmine get it on?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.