Now that the trilogy is done, which is your favorite "sad" trailer?

#1 Posted by swamplord666 (1757 posts) -

#2 Edited by swamplord666 (1757 posts) -

Gears of War - Mad World

Gears of War 2 - Last Day

Gears of War 3 - Dust to Dust

And MAJOR warning, Don't go to the youtube comments if you haven't finished the story. lots of inconsiderate dickheads posting spoilers >:( not happy!

#3 Edited by VanillaPlant (145 posts) -

Voted Mad World, but only because I forgot how good the Gears 2 trailer was.

#4 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

The first one was the best.

This one is also good.

#5 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Voted Mad World. Also really liked the Ashes to Ashes trailer for Gears 3 that had Heron Blue as a song.

#6 Posted by Spoonman671 (4560 posts) -

Duh.

#7 Edited by Mikemcn (6955 posts) -

They're all fantastic, but Gears 2 was the best.

Forgot this one though...

#8 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

Dust to Dust because I really, really like Mazzy Star

#9 Posted by AndrewB (7491 posts) -

I downloaded and kept the HD Mad World trailer off Xbox Live. I remember little about the second, and don't think I ever saw the third.

My answer should be obvious.

#10 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10475 posts) -

Mad World. No contest.

#11 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

@Mikemcn: This one was always my favorite.

#12 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Mad World.

The Gears 2 trailer doesn't really do anything for me, but the Gears 3 trailer is kinda neat because of the way it goes through the Gears games. Still, Mad World had the biggest impact on me when I had seen it originally.

#13 Posted by JeevesPleez (332 posts) -

I know it's not necessarily a "sad" trailer, but there's this one too. Also, it's a toss-up between Mad World and Dust to Dust for me.

#14 Posted by ajamafalous (11848 posts) -

Order's probably 3-1-2, if only because I don't like the song in the 2nd one that much. No doubt Mad World was the most impactful, though. The first time I saw it was in a movie theater, as a preview. Still pretty great.

#15 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I like the song of the Gears 2 trailer (mainly because I'm a big DeVotchKa fan) but it lacks the emotional gravitas of the first one.

#16 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

They're all great, but Mad World was the first and it had the biggest impact on me.

#17 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5107 posts) -

I feel Mad World's played but at the time it probably wasn't.

The Gears 2 trailer didn't feel like anything was going on. It felt like they were just doing a job.

I think Ashes to Ashes is the best as it shows how hopeless their situation has become. The world seems already lost and characters are barely holding on to their lives and sanity.

Dust to Dust is a close second as it touches on the same things in Ashes to Ashes but feels like it was meant as a resolution.

#18 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

Mad World, since it's the one I remember the most. Also, it's realllllllly good.

#19 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

I voted for 2 because I just love the part where the violin and drums kick in, and I think mad world is a dumb song

#20 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

I always thought that Mad World trailer was dumb.

I picked the third one. The way"Brothers to the End" fades into "The End" is great as well as that knowing "we're fucked, but I ain't givin' up" look Marcus and Dom share.

#21 Posted by SamFo (1514 posts) -

I like the second one the best!

#22 Posted by Veektarius (4597 posts) -

Going to have to say Ashes to Ashes is the best, with Mad World and Dust to Dust tied. What really does it is that shot of Dom just giving up briefly - giving you some insight into his character where in the others they're just familiar faces with guns.

#23 Posted by chronicsmoke (996 posts) -

Mad World no doubt

#24 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

I'd say the 'Gears of War 2 (Last Day)' was the best. I even bought that song off iTunes.

#25 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3786 posts) -

The second one.

#26 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -

Mad World by far. I also love the use of that song in Gears 3.

#27 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -
  1. Ash to Ash
  2. Dust to Dust
  3. Mad World
  4. Last Day

Also come on people, add a see results to polls.

#28 Posted by EuanDewar (4758 posts) -

Mad World. Pretty much the only piece of videogame advertising that has had any effect on me.

#29 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

Ashes to Ashes was my favorite by a long shot.

#30 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

They are all great but Mad World was the one that had the most impact. By 3 you know you are getting another sad song and the novelty is gone but it is still good. Its also the one that has the most action in it.

Though the Mad World one is weird because its Marcus alone and that kinda never happens.

#31 Posted by EpicBenjamin (624 posts) -

1: Ashes to Ashes. 2: Dust To Dust. 3: Mad World.

#32 Edited by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

2-1-3 but I love them all.

Edit: Scratch that 1-2-3. Watching that first trailer again just reminds me of how it was used in Act 3 of the Gears 3 campaign. Damn cutscene got to me.

#33 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

Gears 2 without a doubt!

#34 Posted by kishinfoulux (2255 posts) -

They're all pretty great but it's hard to top the original and that's Mad World.

#35 Posted by forestofdeath (252 posts) -

@JeevesPleez said:

I know it's not necessarily a "sad" trailer, but there's this one too. Also, it's a toss-up between Mad World and Dust to Dust for me.

Nothing gave me chills quite like this trailer when it premiered. Even to this day I'm blown away with it. My absolute favorite entry.

#36 Posted by applet0n (652 posts) -

I loved the Gears 2 one with DeVotchka. I remember seeing that in the cinema and being blown away.

#37 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

My favorite gears trailer in general is Rendezvous with Death, one of my favorite trailers of all time.

#38 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

I like them all a lot and they are some of my favorite trailers but if I had to pick an order it would be...

1. Last Day (Gears 2)

2. Ashes to Ashes (Gears 3)

3. Mad World (Gear 1)

4. Dust to Dust (Gears 3)

#39 Posted by DillonWerner (1522 posts) -

Nothing beats the feeling you get when you play on Gridlock and Mad World starts playing.

#40 Posted by ClaritySam (594 posts) -

Rendezvous with Death is my favourite Gears trailer, it so perfectly captures the essence of the series. And the poem is awesome.

#41 Posted by Undeadpool (4908 posts) -

@benjaebe said:

Voted Mad World. Also really liked the Ashes to Ashes trailer for Gears 3 that had Heron Blue as a song.

Yeah, I kinda knee-jerk voted for 3 because I thought this was that one. This being the case, I guess I'd have to vote for 1. Especially after it popped up again in 3 in its own special way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.