Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Obligatory Ending Discussion Thread (Spoilers, duh!)

• 65 results
    BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BeepBeepBoop

So I just finished the Gears 3 campaign, and proceeded to laugh a little at Ice T's song in the credits..just wow.

Anyway the ending, all in all I'm quite satisfied with the ending, it gave nice closure overall. In all honesty I wasn't expecting it to be such a, not sure if happy is the right word, but happy ending, was expecting more last stand sacrifices ala Dom style (which in itself was a pretty great moment in the campaign, even if I saw it coming a mile off).

Also can someone explain to me why the Locust queen is human-like? Not up to date on my Gears lore ha.

Also any speculation on where the story goes from here? Cause I doubt this is the last of the franchise, just this story arc. Also if Epic do any single player dlc, what's the bet it'll be on where the hell Baird and Cole got the reinforcements from?

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By NathanStack

No one can explain why the Queen looks the way she does because it's never explained in the games.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

The emotional halfway point is clearly the better moment in the story but the ending was great. I'm glad they gave the series   what feels like a proper end  even if   we all know theres going to be another one.  I have to say that the final boss is kinda out of place, i'm glad it wasn't just an on-rails sequence like gears 2 but the pattern based flying bug  felt like it should have been in a different game entirely.  I'd have probably felt a little more for Adam  Fenix if he didnt have such a shit voice actor. By the time it  got round to him dying I  felt almost nothing. 

What did stick out most from the final shot  of Marcus and Anya was "Fucking hell Marcus Fenix has massive hands!"
    JamesKond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By JamesKond

@familyphotoshoot: Aren't there Gears book though? :)

I really thought this was the most coherent Gears of War story to date, they do a good job explaining the Lambient and the mayor story parts as well as flesh out the characters a lot. I still remember the beginning of Gears 1 being hella confusing.

I also liked they didn't over do it with the vehicle sections like in Gears 2 :)

BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BeepBeepBoop

@marioncobretti said:

What did stick out most from the final shot of Marcus and Anya was "Fucking hell Marcus Fenix has massive hands!"

Oh god yeah, they are ridiculous. But suppose they need to be in proportion to his equally massive arms.

Yeah the whole Dad plot just seemed to lack emotional punch, maybe it's because Marcus never seems vulnerable at any point in the series, he has always been a 'badass'. So when his dad goes all ash on him, I kind of just went 'eh, does he actually care?'.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IBurningStar

I was a bit disappointed by it. The story never got as heavy as I thought it would, so the whole bittersweet ending they aimed for just didn't work for me. Dom's death and how they reacted to it was the only real emotional moment in the game. If we lost a few more characters along the way then I think it would have resonated more. Like, the part where Marcus stabs the queen and says that was for Dom and everyone else that died, I didn't immediately recall anyone else that I cared about. I had to think back and remember what happend in the first two games to remember that Dom wasn't the only named character that died. If Jace, Dizzy, Sam, and maybe someone like Hoffman had died in their final push for victory, that moment would have had more impact. 

The real strength of the game's story was in how well it fleshed out the world and the supporting characters. Especially Cole. I was real glad to see Cole and Baird make it through the game. I always pick Baird in multiplayer and Cole is just straight up the best character in the series.

Meteor_VII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Meteor_VII

Personally I saw Dom's death in this game coming from the beginning, was just waiting for the shoe to drop. Overall I think the game is great (haven't played multi - but usually don't like gears multi anyway) the story was good with some surprises but still left me wanting answers to other questions that the series brought up earlier and has still yet to address. It feels after now finishing this game that the story kept "you need to flip three switches" or something along those lines where the objective could be made simple and you could get more narrative (sometimes interesting narrative) but instead they decided to lengthen the objective at hand. 

One problem I had with the game is the boss battles seemed at least to me to last way to long. Berserker for instant took like 20 minutes for me ... "Yep totally shooting this chest hole when it opens but she doesn't seem to care" and the same for the last boss with the flying bug, for some reason that took nearly an hour (played the game on hardcore first time through, dunno if that makes bosses have more health). 

Also for Ice-T being a get name for this game or at least in the giantbomb community, that this was kinda big, he has a very small role, I thought he was going to be a gear or something. But to peoples earlier posts if they do make a sequel which who knows, I personally think series don't have to end at a trilogy, his character will probably be back but with what marcus has been through he would snap Aaron griffon's neck in heartbeat.

Henrikhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Henrikhoe

When dom died i almost shed a tear.

those 4 minuets is the best death of a game character. Images. music and everything is perfectly ut together.

Also does anyone feel annoyed that marcus father could have warned about eday. and why the fuck has he worked with the queen for 20 years. Is it common for humans to team up?

Im jusy saying if eday was warned. millions could have been rescued and the gears could have mounted a better defence and didnt have to.hammer of dawn themselves.

Because of that. and because adam fenix was the only lne who knew. i cant find adam fenix death sad. dont like him

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oldirtybearon

They used Mad World, kind of. Fucking perfect for Dom's sacrifice. I was blown away (and shed a manly tear) during that whole sequence. From the moment the chapter title came up (Brothers to the End), I had a real bad feeling over what was about to go down. I saw it coming, but it didn't lack the gut-punch the moment had.

Also loved the ending. I'm a big Gears fan. Read all the books, and scoured every corner of the Internet for any lore I may have missed. I have to say this is the first time I felt totally satisfied with a game's ending. I'm not sitting here wishing for more, I'm reflecting on the journey and soaking it all in. Absolutely love the ending, it was just so perfect.

Also, I popped hard for Carmine surviving. They really fucked with the player on whether or not they'd cap him throughout the game.

badwhodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By badwhodo

I was hoping Queenie would be Marcus' mom. Oh well.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By rawrz

If i had to guess id imagine the next Gears game would end up being a prequel just because they didnt even try to touch on the whole Adam/Locust Queen back story so I wouldnt be surprised to see them cover that in a pre E Day game.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Samaritan

I am SO relieved the Queen didn't turn out to be Marcus' mother. There were a ton of red flags pointing to that being the case but they totally stayed clear of it, which is a good thing.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By zyn

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JokerFrown

All I can say is...Act 3... :'(

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Brad

Gabrielle Ornar: Your thoughts?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Slaker117

I thought the first half was great, but it kind of falls off after that. The only thing I really liked after Dom's death, which was as well done as I could reasonably ask for, was Ice-T, and he doesn't do all that much. There wasn't any good connection with Marcus' father, so the emotional moments they put in for him fall flat, and the final solution to everything was a pretty egregious deus ex machina. I mean, I know it's a video game, writing standards are low, but come on. "I invented this thing that will instantly kill all the Lambent and Locust everwhere, but leave the humans alive." Really? So fucking cheap.

But the part where you shoot dudes was fun, so I liked it overall.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Slaker117: While I accepted it in the context of this game, I totally agree with your point about the final "deus ex" machine that wins the day for the human forces. But the Gears fiction is pretty dumb. Well done, but dumb.  

Thought it was weird that the Griffin subplot goes literally nowhere. "We'll settle this another time," he says. And then never shows up again.  

Like . . . what.
    Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Stahlbrand

I thought the ending was good. A nice, fitting conclusion to what I view as an '80s-style action movie with heart. I don't hold this kind of story (in any medium) to super-high standards, as long as I am entertained by brutal violence and manly tears, and I don't feel like I lost too many IQ points along the way, I am pleased.

@HistoryInRust: Betchya the Griffin thread is tied up with DLC, I noticed that too.

pomeroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pomeroy

Who's got two thumbs, just stayed up till 4 finishing the campaign (mainly due to shit like that crappy final boss and the torpedoes), and openly sobbed during Dom's death? This guy. However, I didn't like the ending much. I felt there should've been more elaboration on Myrrah which wasn't there. I felt her death was incredibly anti-climatic. As far as I'm concerned Dom's death was the only thing worth taking home aside from FUCKING BANDANA REMOVAL.

The trippy bits like the beginning and Cole's thrashball flashback could've used some more instances a la the scarecrow bits in Arkham Asylum.

That being said, I did enjoy Epic not taking itself too seriously at times. I enjoyed the thrashball machine with cole quotes, and the Carmine death fake-out....twice. However, I gotsta disagree with the Giant Bomb duders and say I thought Griffin WAS FUCKING STUPID. Act 4 is currently being purged from my mind.

@Brad said:

I only found Gabrielle mentioned in one item so I may be missing key bits, but my speculation is she's the Queen. You'll notice all of the locust died once the machine went off, and even Adam turned to dust, but she was walkin' all fine and dandy....well, as fine as she could after being HOD'd 7 times. IS. SHE. HUMAN!?

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zereta

Was 45th in the queue for the Singapore launch event, played the campaign and finished it from 11pm to 11am non-stop.

Overall, I came out pretty satisfied. I've followed every bit of the Gears fiction that I can (except for the comics, hard to come by here in Singapore) and man, the payoff is incredible.

Seeing Raven's Nest.

Seeing Bernie and subsequently hearing her call Baird 'Blondie'.

FUCKING UIR AND TRESCU COMING BACK WITH COLE AND BAIRD TO FIGHT AT AZURA.

Stuff like that, nice.

The main plot line was fine. Dom's death was handled magnificently I felt. Even though everything's gone to hell, the epic feeling and scale was retained and it shows. The siege on Anvil Gate and the fight with the Lambent Zerker was awesome. That fucking high speed chase down the highway thing was awesome. The entire section in Mercy was great.

The fights in Azura, especially when the old team and Jack come back together and just fuck shit up, were spectacular and appropriately epic.

I thought Griffin was amazingly ridiculous but man, I love that guy!

The idea of Adam Fenix crumbling into dust in marcus's hands and overall seeing a Marcus, who by the end of the game, is completely broken down was tear-jerking.

BOSS FIGHTS!

I loved them. Fighting the Brumak was cool. The Corpser encounter I thought was really exciting. The Lambent Zerker took me 30 mins to kill but felt great. Myrrah and Tempest were motherfuckers but still awesome.

Suffice to say, I really enjoyed the game and the story.

Though, annoyed that they didn't touch on two things:

1. Who the hell is Myrrah? She obviously ain't pure Locust. During the second stage of the final boss fight, she drops hints that Humanity and the Locust are somewhat similar. Anything to do with that? This ain't answered.

2. What was up with those Sires in Gears 2? The Locust looking thing in the human facilities. I thought Mercy was gonna build up to that but nothing happened.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stahlbrand

@Pomeroy said:

Myrrah...which wasn't there. I felt her death was incredibly anti-climatic. As far as I'm concerned Dom's death was the only thing worth taking home aside from FUCKING BANDANA REMOVAL.

The trippy bits like the beginning and Cole's thrashball flashback could've used some more instances a la the scarecrow bits in Arkham Asylum.

I did like how Marcus stuck Myrrah with the knife that Dom didn't take back at the church when he'd pretty much given up. Nice callback.

I think there could have been more done along the lines of the trippy bits, but on the other hand, you don't want to muck up the narrative momentum too often.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Burns09
    @familyphotoshoot:
    No Caption Provided
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Brad

@Brad said:

I only found Gabrielle mentioned in one item so I may be missing key bits, but my speculation is she's the Queen. You'll notice all of the locust died once the machine went off, and even Adam turned to dust, but she was walkin' all fine and dandy....well, as fine as she could after being HOD'd 7 times. IS. SHE. HUMAN!?

Yeah, I'm fairly sure she is. I found two different collectibles mentioning her, and that bust of her in the hotel toward the end of the game looks an awful lot like the queen. It killed me that they didn't address that point at all in the ending -- why she looks human, how she came to rule the Locust, who the hell the Locust even are. Maybe that stuff will get resolved in a novel or some campaign DLC or something, but they really should have gone into at least a little detail about those things.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Sooty

I didn't really think much to the campaign this time around, the fate of Dom and Marcus' dad was sad I guess, agree with Brad about the queen

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Ronald

I didn't get much of an emotional impact from Dom's death. I knew it was coming from the events of the last game, and this whole game he was in the background the whole time, just waiting for a chance to sacrifice himself. And if only they could have actually played "Mad World". Now, Cole's flashback did have an emotional impact, ending in the "hell yeah" moment. The actual ending, Adam's death wasn't that strong, but Marcus killing the queen, and then his conversation on the beach with Anya both worked pretty well. Overall, a very strong end to the series.

BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BeepBeepBoop

@Brad: Now you've pointed that out, I've come to a conclusion. Prequel! That's what all the cool kids are doing right? Along with reboots.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By YoThatLimp

Does anyone know why the queen kept referring herself as Marcus's mom? Confusing. I know the canon is Marcus's moms name is Elaine and she is dead, but I wonder if there is some sort of Darth Vader thing going on here.

Dom's scene was great. Saw it coming a mile away, but man, actually got a little misty eyed, which a game has never done to me before. Weird.

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

Easily the best Gears of War story of the trilogy. The characters and their motivations were fleshed out, Dom's death brought a tear to my eye, and some of the battles were epic in their scale and number of enemies. Can't wait to play through it again.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I think we can all agree that Dom's death was amazing. But, seriously wtf was with Carmine??? He was barely in this game and yea, they gave me my wish and left him alive but I'd much rather have him fight alongside me for the majority of the game like the carmine from the second game.....That pissed me off. Other then that this was an awesome game.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Vinny_Says

Hate it or love it, at least they didn't bitch out and actually wrapped it up.

I loved the ending, and I find it incredible that a GoW game would have an emotional impact on me with all of it's bro-ing and gruffness. Dom's death was really sad and well executed. I'm happy Marcus has a future along with the rest of Sera. A great way to finish a story arc.

One of my favorite parts was arriving in Char and seeing the burned bodies and that enormous crater, also Ice T was in that level :)

Zombaholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zombaholic

I thought it was a pretty alright romp as stories go, but am I the only one who really bummed out at how all the Locust just die? I mean they were trying to escape the Lambent and told to just stay down there while they got sick and died. Course I don't condone their actions after they emerged, but they had their reasons. When the Queen mentioned Adam committing genocide I had to step back and go, "Yeah, y'know, she's right". They were trying to survive, but we don't know what the locust are to begin with so maybe their the spawns of satan WHO KNOWS!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Afroman269

@Brad said:

@Brad said:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure she is. I found two different collectibles mentioning her, and that bust of her in the hotel toward the end of the game looks an awful lot like the queen. It killed me that they didn't address that point at all in the ending -- why she looks human, how she came to rule the Locust, who the hell the Locust even are. Maybe that stuff will get resolved in a novel or some campaign DLC or something, but they really should have gone into at least a little detail about those things.

I'm just glad that the story managed to close together better than I had expected. The Locust Queen's origin is probably the only major plot hole in the story. Oh and I almost forgot about the research facility that was in Gears of War 2. It looked like the place was used for human/Locust hybrid experiments but that plot line was never further developed, oh well. Also, let's not forget the data disk or whatever that Adam Fenix gave to Baird. It sounded like all the info on the pre E-Day locust/human negotiations that were going on was on that device.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#33  Edited By Mystyr_E

I had to admit the Dom death was quite sad and really well done which was a FAR cry from the Maria scene. There is some unexplained stuff like the Sire facility, Locust and Queen origins but nothing on the Resistance 3 level of unanswered questions. The Griffin stuff sucked, didn't like his character and that gets no resolution...oh and the final boss fight would be better if the AI wasn't so stupid but hey, what can ya do

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By clubsandwich

I was pretty satisfied with the ending, shred manly tears on Dom's dead, and after Marcus dad's dead I just felt like hugging the guy, even though Adam's dead didn't hit me at all, I just fell bad for Marcus, after all that he's been through. Overall it was a fantastic game and I'm kinda glad they didn't go on the Myrrah is Marcus mom route, just want to know why she's a human.

I really was hoping to see Dom paying the 20 bucks he owes to Marcus. :(

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mrfluke

@clubsandwich: he did pay him the 20 bucks, if you go back to the first level and into marcus cabin he leaves the 20 bucks on the table

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mrfluke

@Brad: i really hope we get some adam fenix prequel dlc, because man yes the game is fantastic, and it does close out delta squads story but they leave the most interesting part of the story unanswered.

what annoyed me the most is during that last act, adam was ready to explain Myrrah and the locust on the intercom thing, and marcus was like "another time"

also i agree with the rest of the duders here, doms death was very touching,

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hampe

I'm really astonished by how good the ending to Gears of War 3 was. It feels like it was such a long time ago that I played a series with that kind of closure to it. Even watching TV-series lately hasn't given me this kind of closure. And damn, Marcus looks so beat down in that ending sequence. Sure makes the game so much more interesting. I can't imagine me having such an attachment to the ending without him being there, seeing that he really doesn't know how to look forward, even with Anya by his side.

Dom's death made my cry. So did Adam's.

@mrfluke said:

@Brad:

what annoyed me the most is during that last act, adam was ready to explain Myrrah and the locust on the intercom thing, and marcus was like "another time"

I'm probably guessing that all he wanted to speak about in that certain hour was how they had actually interacted with each other before E-day. But that's my guess. It might also have been who Myrrah was once upon a time.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mrfluke
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Jeffsekai

@Brad said:

@Brad said:

I thought when the Queen showed up in Gears 2 we knew she was Human.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MariachiMacabre

In regards to the Sires, if I remember correctly they were, at some point, described as the Locust version of the Neanderthal. Precursors to the Locust, essentially.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By napalm

@badwhodo said:

You too? I had gotten that weird vibe.

Marcus: "Yeah, we killed her."

Adam: "...oh..."

I was like, "'oh'? What do you mean 'oh'?!"

Overall, good ending story. I think the game is still uneven in difficulty much like the second game. Boss battles where you're down'd ever ten seconds because of some giant radial attack you can't outrun, or something similar. I also had times where the AI wouldn't even pick me up when I was bleeding out. Dom's sacrifice was good, heavy shit, and Carmine's moment at the end, plus him picking up his helmet warranted a clap from me.

pomeroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pomeroy

@Brad said:

@Brad said:

I ONLY found the bust and that was the automatic conclusion I made. It's speculation like this which make the collectibles my favorite part of the campaign. It reminded me of RE4 and how MOST of the actual story came from finding memos. My friend was also angered by Myrrah not being explained. I honestly don't feel Epic is strong enough in the character development department to explain her in a way which wouldn't totally fuck it up. However, as Jeff said there's obviously going to be another game and I'm sure they've sown some easy seeds. Everyone says prequel, I don't even think that's necessary; I look forward to some universe expansion.

pomeroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pomeroy

@Afroman269: See the research facility was EASILY my favorite part in all three campaigns. I enjoyed the tone and the mystery, especially the AI speaking to you. I feel these supernatural and mysterious elements are what make the story worth coming back to.

I must say some of us, including myself, are talking mad shit about parts of the story. The fact is we're talking and speculating, some of which is completely open-ended and there is no wrong answer, this is a sign of a great story to me.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SpartyOn

@BeepBeepBoop: I totally expect the single player DLC to be exactly that. Judging by how much time passed in the game while Cole and Baird got those reinforcements, would mean a good couple hours of play too.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I just wanted to know who or what Myrrah was.
    So meh.

And yeah, the Cole/Baird thing will be DLC for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dom's demise really made me sad. Moments like that usually don't get to me, but that...

And also when Adam dies in front of Marcus, that part also really hit home.

Brilliant closure though. They don't need to make any Gears games for awhile.

But they will anyway.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#47  Edited By Sin4profit

@IBurningStar said:

I was a bit disappointed by it. The story never got as heavy as I thought it would, so the whole bittersweet ending they aimed for just didn't work for me. Dom's death and how they reacted to it was the only real emotional moment in the game. If we lost a few more characters along the way then I think it would have resonated more. Like, the part where Marcus stabs the queen and says that was for Dom and everyone else that died, I didn't immediately recall anyone else that I cared about. I had to think back and remember what happend in the first two games to remember that Dom wasn't the only named character that died. If Jace, Dizzy, Sam, and maybe someone like Hoffman had died in their final push for victory, that moment would have had more impact. The real strength of the game's story was in how well it fleshed out the world and the supporting characters. Especially Cole. I was real glad to see Cole and Baird make it through the game. I always pick Baird in multiplayer and Cole is just straight up the best character in the series.

Exactly how i felt...Of all the praise i heard for this game's story, which is what got me excited enough to pre-order it, i thought, in the end, it was just a basic serviceable video game story. I like the world Gears has created but, what of the gears story that wasn't predictable, just felt pretty flat to me.

Also the use of the song "Mad World" kind of ruined the Dom moment for me. That song, as much as i like it on it's own, has just become something of a cliched, "this is an emotional moment" song. Hell, the Gears of War 3 "Ashes to Ashes" trailer has far more emotional impact then anything in Gears 3.

In the end, it's Gears...same as it ever was. I liked it, but felt disappointment from the huge implication that it was far more then what i felt it turned out to be.

koobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By koobz

@Brad said:

@Brad said:

It kills me that they will probably never satisfactorily explain what the fuck was up with the whole Gabrielle Ornar/Myrrah thing. Hhhhnngg.

I mean, if they try to explain it at this point, the best they could probably do is collectively shrug and smile.

I don't know what they could possibly say that would make any sense at all. "Heyyy, welll, so this lady was a human with tentacles on her back in Gears 2... and then just a human in Gears 3... but before that she was an 80-year-old scientist who died, but now she's got the face and body of a model in her mid 30s? Also she leads a species hell-bent on killing humans, because... parasitic gasoline. Sooo.... um... she's actually Eva Earlong's robot ghost... filled with blood."

WilyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WilyBoy

I actually like that they did not fully explain everything, but instead implied things about the universe without ever spelling it out. Some people are mentioning they are disappointed/relieved that Myrrah wasn't Marcus' mother, but I still think that's a possibility. They never come out and say that she is, but they make it pretty clear that Adam and Myrrah had SOME sort of relationship beyond just research.

I think Marcus was picking up on all the hints about Adam, Myrrah and the nature of the Locust themselves. He's never been a character motivated by answers, however, and learning the truth may have only made the decision to destroy the Locust more difficult to live with. He has his chance to get answers when the Queen is defeated and standing before him, giving her last little speech. He chooses to keep it simple, kill her, and be done with it. The story benefits by retaining some mysteries.

I was very happy to see the Gears story finally live up to the bittersweet, tragic glory that was promised in the original Mad World trailer. Victory is achieved through a global genocide, and even though they had no other choice if they wanted to defeat the Lambent, it's a hard victory to feel good about. The story also doesn't stop with the victory itself, it goes a little further to show the quandary many war-time soldiers end up in. When your entire life has been spent on war, what's left for you to do once the war is won? Marcus seems lost immediately once he realizes there is no one left to fight. I'd still say the ending is a happy one, however. Between Anya coming to reassure him, and the final shot of the sunset, the story goes out on a note of hope.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By cookiemonster

@badwhodo said:

Same. It would have made for a humorous story twist.

Yeah, I thought the story wasn't great, but I was satisfied by it. There were a few janky bits, like the idea of a vaccine being shot across a planet using a giant tower/raygun/beam/thing is a bit off, but its just gears being gears I suppose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.