Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Open Letter to Sawed-Off Shotgun Users

Blur_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Blur_Fan

Dear Sawed-off Shotgun Users,

Hello [Insert Gamertag].  How are you today?  I see you've been playing the Gears of War 3 Multiplayer Beta.  Pretty neat-o game, right!?  I would just like to offer a word of advice to you regarding your new, death-dealing, gib-confetti machine, commonly known as the Sawed-Off Shotgun.  If you have to stop to aim it, you're doing it wrong.  See how the aiming reticule is, quite literally, the horizon of the entire screen.  That's there to mock you.  It's as if the shotgun is saying, "Hey, don't be so uptight baby!  I'm a free spirit.  Just get me close enough so that I can tell your opponent what a poor character I think he is. "  This occurs usually when your about to run into him.

Thank you for playing the Gears of War 3 Beta.  We hope you enjoy the testosterone-filled bloodfest.  A remember, if you ask yourself, "Am I close enough to use this shotgun?"  then the answer is no.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I'm not entirely sure what this is addressing.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

You know, I kinda feel like Gears is going backwards with some of these new weapons. Sawed off shotguns are lame. If you can't kill a dude with one shotty shot, then you need to use more skill.

And the retro lancer? Why the hell would you replace the lancer's one unique feature (CHAINSAW!!!) with something lame? 
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator

If you ask yourself, "Am I close enough to use this shotgun?"  then the answer is no.    

This made me laugh.

I love setting up ambushes with my Sawed-Off. I also love blasting fools apart and then just casually walking away and reloading. Feel like such a badass.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By natetodamax
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    And the retro lancer? Why the hell would you replace the lancer's one unique feature (CHAINSAW!!!) with something lame? 
    "
    Uh..... I wouldn't call this lame.

Looks pretty badass to me.
    htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By htr10

i'd like the topic of this thread much better if it had nothing to do with video games
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @natetodamax said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:
    "

"
    Still less badass than chainsawing though. 
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @natetodamax said:

" @MooseyMcMan said:

"

"
    Don't get me wrong, I love chainsaws but yeah, I was just about to ask "When did knives become not badass?"
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @MooseyMcMan: Charging stab.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @ProfessorEss: It just seems like a step backwards, especially when it was one of the "big things" that they were promoting when they were first showing the game off back at E3 last year. I can just imagine the meeting where they decided to put that in. 

"What can we do to change up the weapons?" 
    "Replace the chainsaw bayonet with a regular-ass bayonet."
    "Dude, that sounds lame." 
    "Can you think of anything else?"
    "Well, no..."
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By big_jon

Awesome thread.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By natetodamax
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @ProfessorEss: It just seems like a step backwards, especially when it was one of the "big things" that they were promoting when they were first showing the game off back at E3 last year. I can just imagine the meeting where they decided to put that in. 

"What can we do to change up the weapons?" 
    "Dude, that sounds lame." 
    "Can you think of anything else?"
    "Well, no..."
    "
    They didn't replace the chainsaw bayonet. The regular lancer is still in there.
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By l4wd0g
    @Sweep said:
    "

If you ask yourself, "Am I close enough to use this shotgun?"  then the answer is no.    

This made me laugh.

I love setting up ambushes with my Sawed-Off. I also love blasting fools apart and then just casually walking away and reloading. Feel like such a badass.
    "
    He stole that from IGN's quick look (whatever they call it). :(
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @natetodamax: I know that. It just seems odd to me that they'd add it in, and then promote it as a cool and new addition. It also seems weird to me that even though they are the older versions of the lancer (in the fiction), they are only just now appearing in the game. Ret-cons! 
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By MEATBALL

Not sure how the addition of another gun that behaves differently to the regular lancer is a step backwards for the game, but okay.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Afroman269

Haha, I agree. I zoomed in just to see it and I laughed. 

@MEATBALL said:
    " Not sure how the addition of another gun that behaves differently to the regular lancer is a step backwards for the game, but okay. "
    It's cool to rag on Gears, where have you been? Are you some kind of reasonable person?!
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    Yeah, see, that still sounds badass to me.

"You mean like, a knive?"
    "Yeah. A knife. A fucking knife. You ever been stabbed to death by a knife? It still totally sucks and is totally, you know, stabbed to death."
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:
    Yeah, see, that still sounds badass to me."You mean like, a knive?""Yeah. A knife. A fucking knife. You ever been stabbed to death by a knife? It still totally sucks and is totally, you know, stabbed to death." "
    "Yeah, but you know what's worse (and by worse I mean better) than that?"
    "No, what?"
    "Getting ripped to shreds by lots of little knives on a motorized chain."
    "You mean like some sort of 'chain saw?' It's so crazy it might just work!!" 
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Afroman269 said:
    " Haha, I agree. I zoomed in just to see it and I laughed. 

@MEATBALL said:
    " Not sure how the addition of another gun that behaves differently to the regular lancer is a step backwards for the game, but okay. "
    It's cool to rag on Gears, where have you been? Are you some kind of reasonable person?!
    "
    Of course, because if you did rag on Gears, it's totally not because of your own personal opinion.

I went bought a copy of Gears 2 GotY.

Hated it, sold it, haven't looked back.
    Blur_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blur_Fan
    @l4wd0g: I actually heard it from a friend in Party Chat.  So, I can't say one way or the other,  but nice attention to detail.
    Blur_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blur_Fan
    @MooseyMcMan: I was trying to think up a smart-ass remark to continue the "..." conversation, but came up short.  I was thinking that a real step backwards to be have a gun that isn't a gun, it's just a big fuckin' blade. 
    But that actually sounds awesome.  Especially, if it were the blade/chainsaw stick that Skorge (?) carried around in Gears 2. 
    Okay, now I really want that to happen
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Afroman269
    @Rockdalf: Never looked back, huh. Not enough I guess, seeing on how you're in here.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vinny_Says

can someone tell me if this is out yet? I have the bulletstorm disc and all

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Afroman269
    @blacklabeldomm: It's been out since 9 am eastern. Where you been?
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Afroman269: work mostly, but I'll get right on it....thanks!

on an unrelated note, is the ghost recon beta coming soon?
    Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Burns09

Have you guys seen the execution with the sawed off, absolutely brutal.

Avatar image for mustachedpagoda
    MustachedPagoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MustachedPagoda

It's pretty intense, just beats the casual golf club swing of the gnasher

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Rockdalf: Well you know WHAT!?

You have a fantastic day, sir. I value your opinion and understand it as I hated Gears 2 multiplayer. Gears 3's, so far, is a different story.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Afroman269 said:
    " @Rockdalf: Never looked back, huh. Not enough I guess, seeing on how you're in here. "
    Well you can twist what I said to make my look hypocritical, but I think the implication that I didn't regret selling the game back was kind of obvious.  I was simply debunking the notion that if you hate on Gears of War it's obviously because you're trying to fit in, not because you found the game disappointing.

Sorry if I was supposed to jack into the hive mind before I posted in this thread, I was under the mistaken opinion that you were allowed to offer a different opinion.

@MariachiMacabre said:
    " @Rockdalf: Well you know WHAT!?

You have a fantastic day, sir. I value your opinion and understand it as I hated Gears 2 multiplayer. Gears 3's, so far, is a different story.
    "
    Maybe I should look into it.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Afroman269
    @Rockdalf: I was dismissing the opinion on the basis that you're forming an opinion on Gears 3 (which I'm assuming because this is in a Gears 3 thread) from the experience in Gears 2. Even though I played a lot of Gears 2, I'm not going to defend that game's MP because that shit was broken. I was able to stick with it because I adapted to the shotgunfests, newcomers though, they will have a terrible time. 

As for what the other guy said, Gears 3 really is a different story. I'm getting annoyed by the people tossing out ignorant opinions on the game without having touched the beta for the themselves. Shotgun issues are still in Gears 3 but that only occurs if you're paired up with shitty players who can't stick together and push flankers back. The rifles are better than ever now. If you don't like the whole Gears games/mechanics then fine, that's just personal taste. 
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NickL
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    It also seems weird to me that even though they are the older versions of the lancer (in the fiction), they are only just now appearing in the game. Ret-cons!  "
    I don't think that is very hard to explain, gears 1 and  2 have always been about well equipped army dudes, from the looks of it now shit has gotten fucked up and they have to use these antiques because they cant manufacture new guns.

Also, at least its better then the new "addition" to gears 2.
    "Hey guys, we need a new machine gun."
    "How bought a normal ass gun that shoots slow as hell?"
    "GREAT, ADD IT!"
    NukePuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By NukePuke

I like sawed offs and chainsaws. Killing up close and personal is so much more satisfying than shooting from behind cover or using a sniper rifle.

I hope in the next generation of consoles you can see the life leave your opponent's eyes and hear the gas leave their @$$.
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Afroman269: It's very possible that his bad experiences with one game in the series (or both of the other games), has soured his thoughts on the series as a whole. It's an understandable response because I was really not interested in Gears 3, based on the fact that I think both Gears 1 and 2 online are broken and shitty. No need to jump down his throat for making the logical assumption that since he didn't enjoy the other games, he may not enjoy this one.
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SomeDeliCook
    @MooseyMcMan said:

" You know, I kinda feel like Gears is going backwards with some of these new weapons. Sawed off shotguns are lame. If you can't kill a dude with one shotty shot, then you need to use more skill.
    "

I welcome the addition of these new weapons. I hate the regular Lancer. The second I found out you could choose the Lancer or the Hammerburst to spawn with in Gears 2, I immediately chose to start with the Hammerburst. Having a chainsaw on a gun just seemed so stupid to me, and when someone getting chainsawed just all of a sudden exploded as if a grenade blew them up it turned me off even more. But the idea of having this giant rusted blade and stabbing guys with it sounds actually pretty cool.
    Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jesus
    @MariachiMacabre said:
    " @Afroman269: It's very possible that his bad experiences with one game in the series (or both of the other games), has soured his thoughts on the series as a whole. It's an understandable response because I was really not interested in Gears 3, based on the fact that I think both Gears 1 and 2 online are broken and shitty. No need to jump down his throat for making the logical assumption that since he didn't enjoy the other games, he may not enjoy this one. "
    I agree about one game souring someone's taste for a franchise but EPIC seems to be going out of their way to try to turn their MP around. There's a reason why we barely have heard anything about the single player. They have been pushing the MP like crazy. People should give it a chance instead of simply dismissing it. Also, I don't really see any throat jumping occurring here, I can see why there is frustration because of the surge of misinformed comments about this game.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iamjohn
    @SomeDeliCook said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:

" You know, I kinda feel like Gears is going backwards with some of these new weapons. Sawed off shotguns are lame. If you can't kill a dude with one shotty shot, then you need to use more skill.
    "

I welcome the addition of these new weapons. I hate the regular Lancer. The second I found out you could choose the Lancer or the Hammerburst to spawn with in Gears 2, I immediately chose to start with the Hammerburst. Having a chainsaw on a gun just seemed so stupid to me, and when someone getting chainsawed just all of a sudden exploded as if a grenade blew them up it turned me off even more. But the idea of having this giant rusted blade and stabbing guys with it sounds actually pretty cool. "
    Dude, what universe do you come from that having a chainsaw (which is already cool) on your gun so you can shoot dudes and then get up close to them and cut them in half because you don't give a fuck not brotastically awesome?  And that's not even getting into chainsaw bayonett duels.
    NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By NickBOTT
    @natetodamax said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:
    "

"
    This
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Azteck
    @Afroman269 said:
    @MEATBALL said:
    "
    THROW HIM OUT OF THIS SITE INSTANTLY. We do not appreciate reasonable people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.